Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED] Alternatives to gentoo that solve these problems?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sitquietly
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there alternatives to gentoo that solve these proble Reply with quote

crocket wrote:
...I think FreeBSD is similar to OpenBSD. Do FreeBSD and OpenBSD allow me to forgo pulseaudio without much hassle?

FreeBSD doesn't roll in quite the same smooth way as OpenBSD but it is enjoyable (I ran FreeBSD for several years) and has (counting Makefiles in
my checkouts of the ports tree) 28000 packages versus the 8700 packages in OpenBSD. FreeBSD ports is almost as large and up to date
as Gentoo.

FreeBSD has an "options" system similar to Gentoo's USE flags; but options are applied to one port at a time rather than system-wide.
Pulseaudio is optional in many of the FreeBSD ports (as is ALSA and OSS). I count 82 ports in the tree which make pulseaudio optional.
Up till this year the packager had to choose which options to apply by default and the only binary package available would have those
options. If you want different options you build the port from source. Building from source is very straight-forward and can be done
in bulk using either poudriere or synth by giving the builder a list of packages that you need. Binary packages are built in a chroot and
placed in a repository. To then use those locally built packages you just enable that repository as the sole repo or as one repo in a path
of multiple repos to use.

This year FreeBSD adopted the OpenBSD notion of FLAVORS so that popular options can be made available as binary packages; eventually
some packages may be available with and without pulseaudio without compiling from source -- but heck! a Gentoo guy prefers to
build everything from source anyway and get optimal control. :)

Maybe the most important feature for you is that both OpenBSD and FreeBSD have only one version of a port in the tree at one time and they
each have build farms that re-build their entire ports tree every few days. The ports tree is always clean and consistent, there are no "blockers".

FreeBSD supports bluetooth, and maybe HDMI and usb audio, poorly (heck Linux could be said to support bluetooth poorly,
both usb and bluetooth stacks are a mess).

tldr; Yes.
crocket
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: Are there alternatives to gentoo that solve these proble Reply with quote

1) What is the preferred sound server on FreeBSD? I know it is sndio on OpenBSD.
2) Are there alternatives to ndisgen and using a linux virtual machine as a gateway for unsupported wireless cards in FreeBSD and OpenBSD?
3) Is there a way to upgrade binary packages and ports packages separately? I fear that binary package tool may upgrade packages installed from ports.
sitquietly
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Are there alternatives to gentoo that solve these proble Reply with quote

crocket wrote:
1) What is the preferred sound server on FreeBSD? I know it is sndio on OpenBSD.
2) Are there alternatives to ndisgen and using a linux virtual machine as a gateway for unsupported wireless cards in FreeBSD and OpenBSD?
3) Is there a way to upgrade binary packages and ports packages separately? I fear that binary package tool may upgrade packages installed from ports.

Time to check the FreeBSD Handbook and
FreeBSD FAQ and the OpenBSD Guide.

I'm wary of FreeBSD right now because I've seen degradation in the quality of the ports (IMO). The project has redefined itself as a diversity, where it used to
say that FreeBSD was a meritocracy and they are hiring a "diversity consultant" to train the team to avoid offending anyone, especially those people who
chose to be addressed by a name, sexuality, and pronoun of their own, possibly changing, choosing. They talk in terms like "safe spaces". I know of one
truly great ports committer who was removed for supposedly offending someone with no public, and according to him, no private explanation of who he
offended and what he did wrong. The guy is the supreme example of one who proved his right to a commit bit by his technical merit. A few other, maybe less
important maintainers have resigned rather than face what is feared to become a climate of McCarthyism as Social Justice Warriors wage a Chinese-style
Cultural Revolution. I expect the project to wobble badly. :oops: That's all I have to say about that.

It is sometimes said that the difference between OpenBSD and FreeBSD is that the OpenBSD developers all run OpenBSD on their personal computers,
and few of the FreeBSD developers run FreeBSD.
crocket
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Are there alternatives to gentoo that solve these proble Reply with quote

sitquietly wrote:
Time to check the FreeBSD Handbook and
FreeBSD FAQ and the OpenBSD Guide.

I'm wary of FreeBSD right now because I've seen degradation in the quality of the ports (IMO). The project has redefined itself as a diversity, where it used to
say that FreeBSD was a meritocracy and they are hiring a "diversity consultant" to train the team to avoid offending anyone, especially those people who
chose to be addressed by a name, sexuality, and pronoun of their own, possibly changing, choosing. They talk in terms like "safe spaces". I know of one
truly great ports committer who was removed for supposedly offending someone with no public, and according to him, no private explanation of who he
offended and what he did wrong. The guy is the supreme example of one who proved his right to a commit bit by his technical merit. A few other, maybe less
important maintainers have resigned rather than face what is feared to become a climate of McCarthyism as Social Justice Warriors wage a Chinese-style
Cultural Revolution. I expect the project to wobble badly. :oops: That's all I have to say about that.

It is sometimes said that the difference between OpenBSD and FreeBSD is that the OpenBSD developers all run OpenBSD on their personal computers,
and few of the FreeBSD developers run FreeBSD.

Thanks for letting me know FreeBSD crisis. I hope it gets out of the crisis as a better version of itself.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:02 pm    Post subject: Placeholder Reply with quote

Moved from Other Things Gentoo to Gentoo Chat.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: