All of a sudden grub prefix is incorrect
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcnutty
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: All of a sudden grub prefix is incorrect Reply with quote

My system has been running fairly stable for a long time until this morning when I rebooted. The grub menu didn't come up and I was dropped into a rescue session with a message similar to:
Code:
error: file '/grub/i386-pc/normal.mod' not found.

I found some similar errors on various forums, e.g., here and here. Following the suggestions I was able to boot into my system with the following commands.

Code:
set root=(hd2,gpt2)
set prefix=(hd2,gpt2)/grub
insmod normal
normal

The first thing that seems strange to me is that the prefix is directly to /grub without /boot. I also cannot figure out how to make the changes permanent. I've tried running grub-install again and creating a new config with grub-mkconfig, but this had no effect. Any help is appreciated.
audiodef
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a similar issue with virtual machines. I had to "fix" the problem by recompiling the kernel, then doing grub-install/mkconfig.

But you said you've done grub-install/mkconfig, which means your kernel files should be ok. Did you have a power outage or anything?
mcnutty
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I took the opportunity to update my kernel once I got it back running and hoped that grub-install/mkconfig would fix the problem.

I did have a power outage recently, but I have a UPS and I don't believe my system actually went down. It's always possible that my system has shutdown unexpectedly at some point in the recent past but I can't think of any specific instances.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: