Unexplained performance loss [SOLVED I THINK!]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jesnow
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:10 am    Post subject: Unexplained performance loss [SOLVED I THINK!] Reply with quote

Stop snickering.

My gentoo machine slows to a crawl after a few days, it takes seconds to open a window. An eternity to close a tab on chromium. Stopping and restarting the browser helps a little. It's an i7, not a slow machine, 12GB RAM. The load is not high, the machine is not paging or out of memory ... just ... slow. Ordinary web pages like this one can't keep up with my typing.

Then if I restart KDE, all the performance comes back. The resource hogs I use are chromium and libreoffice, but I can't tell where the poor performance is coming from. At least when I'm running an emerge -e world, I can exactly see what's making my machine slow.

It's puzzling.

Is it possible somebody's mining bitcoin using javascript on my browser? Would that not show up on my load meter? some other kind of skullduggery?

Any helpful thoughts greatly appreciated.

Jesnow

Last edited by jesnow on Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:05 am; edited 1 time in total
frebrd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jesnow,

Few ideas:

1. performance can also be impacted by I/O, if you are using a HDD. Maybe Nepomuk, Strigi, Baloo and Akonadi are doing their thing? try disabling them if they are enabled. Also put your /tmp folder on tmpfs

2. What addons do you have installed on chromium? ublock and umatrix should block any unwanted javascript. Have you tried firefox?

3. (Unlikely for basic tasks) Is your cpu thermal throttling?

4. Have you tried using performance governor?
mike155
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use top and iotop to find out which process(es) consume CPU time or I/O bandwidth.
Juippisi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im having similar problems with Gnome3. If its up for 3 days, the UI gets laggy and every operation takes a long time. Relogging solves the problem.

I have 16 GB of memory and a powerful i7 processor so I doubt that's the problem. I did install iotop to monitor HDD activity next time (Im using SSD), so thanks for that tip. I do have htop installed and nothing is using memory or CPU a lot there.

Ive just pretty much lived with the problem. I used to believe its somehow NVIDIA-related because if I, say watch a twitch stream with mpv for 12 hours then Gnome starts feeling laggy earlier than 3 days uptime.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jesnow,

Check your kernel.
$ grep COMPACT /usr/src/linux/.config
CONFIG_COMPACTION=y

Without that, it gets harder and harder for the kernel to dynamically allocate RAM.
It will page, by dropping code and reloading it, when that happens. That's slow, even on SSD.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juippisi wrote:
Im having similar problems with Gnome3.

This is a bit off topic since jesnow isn't using GNOME but the older the GNOME release version (in the 3.y.z series) the bigger this issue is. Which is to say it's almost certainly a GNOME problem.

The workaround is to restart GNOME Shell.

The fix is probably to spend a capricious amount of time plugging every memory leak under the sun. I don't know about you but I ain't got time for that. :wink:
Juippisi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Check your kernel.
$ grep COMPACT /usr/src/linux/.config
CONFIG_COMPACTION=y

I did have this enabled, at least, but

Quote:

Which is to say it's almost certainly a GNOME problem.

The workaround is to restart GNOME Shell.

Yeah, it hasnt bothered me that much. I switched from openbox to gnome3 and I could keep openbox up for weeks without it feeling laggy. But I understand comparing openbox and gnome is like comparing a 70s lada with a modern tesla, so...

Its just weird that if I look at htop it doesnt show that any process's memory usage has skyrocketed, or that any process has died.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that reflects on the quality of the development of the respective desktops. Memory leaks are the likely cause and those are likely from the innocent looking and easily forgotten desktop.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw this kind of strange slowness one day : cpu not busy, ram all happy, but dns resolving was bad, and everything that was trying to resolve dns was having bad day trying server1, timeout, server2 timeout...

Just in case it help you, maybe you have the same case, someone after a few days change dns settings (dhcp or whatever network manager) and kde/gnome whatever DE do have a lot of name resolution to do and is slow waiting for an answer while it takes no cpu or ram.
jesnow
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just looping back to say I found the problem in the dns performance. And guess what (see below)...

It's interesting that there is no benchmark I can find for dns performance, but it is now integral to every aspect of our existence. It was slowing down local "file save" dialogs, for example! Libreoffice internal operation slowed to a crawl. Text in Kwrite would wait several seconds to post. All because of a slow dns server. Seems like a pretty dramatic point of failure for all linux systems, and very hard to debug!

Jon.

krinn wrote:
Saw this kind of strange slowness one day : cpu not busy, ram all happy, but dns resolving was bad, and everything that was trying to resolve dns was having bad day trying server1, timeout, server2 timeout...

Just in case it help you, maybe you have the same case, someone after a few days change dns settings (dhcp or whatever network manager) and kde/gnome whatever DE do have a lot of name resolution to do and is slow waiting for an answer while it takes no cpu or ram.
Hu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Local file save dialogs should not be using DNS at all. If they are, somebody did something wrong. :)

How did you determine it to be caused by DNS? Were you using a self-hosted DNS server, one provided by your organization, by your ISP, or a generic Internet DNS server?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not a new problem and it is not unique to KDE. It has been around since at least 2002:

2006: Extremely Poor GNOME perf. due to slow net speed [Solved]
2002: kde slow, check out my /etc/hostname /etc/hosts
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
How did you determine it to be caused by DNS?

myself, by switching to another dns server.

I know some other slowness for gnome(2) (never used kde), but i try to keep them in mind (well, looks like i fail and forget them, because i no more use gnome, but mate, but mate must share gnome(2) troubles).
* gvfsd: but it's easier as you see it eating cpu cycles for nothing
* dbus: no need to figure out this is buggy, and applications may crawl to death waiting message bus answer
* locale: not the locale itself, but a badly set locale will bug dbus, gvfsd and other part of gnome, and once they are bug by something, see upper.
* bad resolution dns may also comes from no localhost set (something to remember because users love to edit /etc/hosts and trash localhost).

Yeah, that's what you get from getting old, experience :)
(and a bad memory which void experience)
pallaert
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Experiencing the same thing since a few days.

Using KDE & Chromium. For sure, this is related to chromium which shows an insane usage of GPU usage in Chromium's own process manager. However, when freezing happens, it's not just chrome, it's really everything!

I've seen a couple of X-related packages upgraded recently, I have the impression it's since I upgraded them.

Visiting some websites like https://giphy.com, with log of graphics, animation, it makes the problem very reproducible.

I had a www-client/chromium 64.xxx and have upgraded to 65.0.3325.146, unfortunately, upgrading didn't solve the issue.

I doubt it could be DNS related as that might indeed be source of slowness, but normally, not freezing all apps.
Hu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original poster traced his problem to DNS. If you are confident that your problem is not DNS related, then you do not have the same problem. If you need help with a different problem, you should open a separate thread for it, since this problem has a solution and has been marked as solved, which tends to reduce traffic.
Juippisi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/03/gnome-shell-has-a-memory-leak-and-it-might-not-be-fixed-for-ubuntu-18-04-lts I think this might be it for me.
sQu1rr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pallaert wrote:
Experiencing the same thing since a few days.

Same here.

pallaert wrote:
Visiting some websites like https://giphy.com, with log of graphics, animation, it makes the problem very reproducible.

Indeed it does, thanks for providing the link. I was sure it was chrome, but couldn't (and didn't have time/motivation to) test, now I know for sure.[/quote]
sQu1rr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone solved it?
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sQu1rr wrote:
Has anyone solved it?

main poster has mark the thread solve, so it is solve.
if you have a problem that cannot be solve as the main poster did, it's because your problem is different, so you're only doing noise there, create your own thread for your problem if you need help.
jesnow
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed the worst slowdown was while running Libroffice along with chrome. which I do all the time. shut down LO, and chrome is back to normal. So I tracked it down to the Java runtime environment: Switch off the JRE and LO runs a million times faster and so does everything else. It was literally to the point where libroffce would leave a trail of windows across the screen when moving or resizing, and I could easilt get ahead of the typing buffer (!) when writing something like this post and have the text appears several seconds later.

turn off the JRE and it's not exactly snappy like it should be for a core i7 but much better.

JS.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: