Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Topic subscriptions suggestion.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
The_Document
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 03 Feb 2018
Posts: 244

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:48 am    Post subject: Topic subscriptions suggestion. Reply with quote

I seriously find current topic email notifications lacking because it does not spew out newly written posts. Would be nice to read from email.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
desultory
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 04 Nov 2005
Posts: 9070

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would require nontrivial changes to accommodate, and increase the volume of mail sent by the forums rather dramatically. Not to mention considerations regarding how to format bbcode in plain text, slowing down posting (especially on topics watched by many users), which itself potentially leads to other concerns which I will leave at "there be dragons" for the moment. In short, unless there are requests along this line from many users and/or offers of patches with ongoing support, this is not a feature that is likely to be implemented any time soon, and even then it might not work out in actual deployment.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The_Document
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 03 Feb 2018
Posts: 244

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

desultory wrote:
It would require nontrivial changes to accommodate, and increase the volume of mail sent by the forums rather dramatically. Not to mention considerations regarding how to format bbcode in plain text, slowing down posting (especially on topics watched by many users), which itself potentially leads to other concerns which I will leave at "there be dragons" for the moment. In short, unless there are requests along this line from many users and/or offers of patches with ongoing support, this is not a feature that is likely to be implemented any time soon, and even then it might not work out in actual deployment.


Im not sure how it increases mail volume because currently email per new post is already enforced. As for formatting bbcode to readable text, I suppose there are 3rd party solutions available. Gentoo has the capacity to slay those dragons, larry would approve.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
desultory
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 04 Nov 2005
Posts: 9070

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Document wrote:
Im not sure how it increases mail volume because currently email per new post is already enforced.
Your premise is faulty. First because there is no "enforcement" of e-mail being sent out with each post, indeed that is deliberately minimized as reply notices are only sent out when a new message is posted to a watched topic, and, barring some manner of malfunction, no further notices are sent to any given user until they visit the topic in question. Secondly, you are completely ignoring what you specifically asked for: the contents of the newly posted messages. Third, per your request e-mail would need to be sent for each new message in any watched topic. Further, there have been certain issues with mail handling as is presently exists which would only be exacerbated by additional volume so even with patches to implement the feature it may well be unsuitable for actual deployment; for the time being, I will leave summarizing that as this is not an issue with hosting and it is currently mitigated in operation.
The_Document wrote:
As for formatting bbcode to readable text, I suppose there are 3rd party solutions available.
Running code beats supposition any day of the week.
The_Document wrote:
Gentoo has the capacity to slay those dragons, larry would approve.
Dragons are endangered, they need protection from overzealous knights and understanding that they only burn villages and devour livestock because that is what they evolved to do, that and set fairly high baseline requirements in building codes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The_Document
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 03 Feb 2018
Posts: 244

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

desultory wrote:
Your premise is faulty. First because there is no "enforcement" of e-mail being sent out with each post, indeed that is deliberately minimized as reply notices are only sent out when a new message is posted to a watched topic, and, barring some manner of malfunction, no further notices are sent to any given user until they visit the topic in question. Secondly, you are completely ignoring what you specifically asked for: the contents of the newly posted messages. Third, per your request e-mail would need to be sent for each new message in any watched topic. Further, there have been certain issues with mail handling as is presently exists which would only be exacerbated by additional volume so even with patches to implement the feature it may well be unsuitable for actual deployment; for the time being, I will leave summarizing that as this is not an issue with hosting and it is currently mitigated in operation.


My initial request wasn't as I originally intended I should reword it, what I was asking for is new posts being sent by email and no more quantity of emails should be sent than they are currently thus not surpassing the quantity used with current implementation. All I wanted was to read the reply message of new post instead of vanilla email stating that there is a new post.

desultory wrote:

Dragons are endangered, they need protection from overzealous knights and understanding that they only burn villages and devour livestock because that is what they evolved to do, that and set fairly high baseline requirements in building codes.


You might not know dragon bones can be ground up to fine powder for medicinal use for the aid of those mighty nights.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 17456

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If implemented, a near immediate request would follow asking for the ability to reply via email. That's called a mailing list.
_________________
Slowly I turned. Step by step.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
desultory
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 04 Nov 2005
Posts: 9070

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Document wrote:
My initial request wasn't as I originally intended I should reword it, what I was asking for is new posts being sent by email and no more quantity of emails should be sent than they are currently thus not surpassing the quantity used with current implementation. All I wanted was to read the reply message of new post instead of vanilla email stating that there is a new post.
You want the full text of one post, then nothing to follow up on that until you visit the topic again? Perhaps it is a peculiar lack of vision on my part, but I am not quite grasping the benefits.
The_Document wrote:
You might not know dragon bones can be ground up to fine powder for medicinal use for the aid of those mighty nights.
Alternatively, and rather more sustainably, one could consume chicken bone broth, while quite a bit smaller on average, they are also distinctly more common.

pjp wrote:
If implemented, a near immediate request would follow asking for the ability to reply via email. That's called a mailing list.
To be completely fair, we have had (mercifully rare) attempts to reply to topics via e-mail by replying to reply notices, so one could consider that feature request to predate at least this instance of this side of making the forums into a mailing list.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 17456

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:lol:

In thinking about how I'd "fix" a lot of the problems associated with the forum format, I decided a mailing list was the best solution. Then just let people use a web interface if they prefer the shiny buttons. :)
_________________
Slowly I turned. Step by step.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum