View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShadowOne333
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject: startx doesn't load up Gnome after emerge @world Reply with quote

Good day.

I recently made an emerge -auDvN @world this past Feb 15th, being the last emerge world before that one being done somewhere around December 12th, 2017 or so.
I hit some issues with dependencies from systemd, sysvinit, syslog-ng and OpenRC, which is my current init system for Gentoo.

I basically had to disable the "sysv-utils" flag in order to be able to emerge systemd alongside the other blocked packages without issues.
The rest of the emerge went more or less without much hiccups, and I was able to finish it.

However, right now the problem lies whenever I try to run startx or login into the graphical interface (Gnome).
I login into my user from the bare terminal, then type "startx".
What happens next is the usual fade-to-black screen, then I can see the mouse pointer in there and can move it around.
After some seconds though, I get bumped back into the terminal instead of going into Gnome.

Here is the output I get from the .xsession-errors log from ~/.xsession-errors.
Code:
Failed to get D-Bus connection: Operation not permitted
gnome-session-binary[2848]: WARNING: Using null backend for session tracking
gnome-session-binary[2848]: WARNING: Could not parse desktop file chromium-browser-chromium.desktop or it references a not found TryExec binary
Failure: Module initialization failed
gnome-session-binary[2848]: WARNING: App 'pulseaudio.desktop' exited with code 1

(gnome-settings-daemon:2922): power-plugin-WARNING **: Unable to start gsd_power manager: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.freedesktop.login1: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildExited: Launch helper exited with unknown return code 1

(gnome-settings-daemon:2922): media-keys-plugin-WARNING **: Failed to connect to systemd: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.freedesktop.login1: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildExited: Launch helper exited with unknown return code 1

(gnome-settings-daemon:2922): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_dbus_proxy_call_internal: assertion 'G_IS_DBUS_PROXY (proxy)' failed

(gnome-settings-daemon:2922): rfkill-plugin-WARNING **: Failed to acquire NetworkManager proxy: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.freedesktop.NetworkManager: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildExited: Launch helper exited with unknown return code 1

(gnome-settings-daemon:2922): keyboard-plugin-WARNING **: Failed to contact localed: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.freedesktop.locale1: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildExited: Launch helper exited with unknown return code 1

(gnome-settings-daemon:2922): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_dbus_proxy_get_cached_property: assertion 'G_IS_DBUS_PROXY (proxy)' failed

(gnome-settings-daemon:2922): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_dbus_proxy_get_cached_property: assertion 'G_IS_DBUS_PROXY (proxy)' failed
Gjs-Message: JS LOG: Failed to register AuthenticationAgent
Gjs-Message: JS LOG: No permission to trigger offline updates: Polkit.Error: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: Action org.freedesktop.packagekit.trigger-offline-update is not registered
Failed to play sound: File or data not found
Gjs-Message: JS LOG: Extension Panel_Favorites@rmy.pobox.com already installed in /root/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/Panel_Favorites@rmy.pobox.com. /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/Panel_Favorites@rmy.pobox.com will not be loaded

(process:3090): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed

** (nautilus:3098): WARNING **: Can not get _NET_WORKAREA

** (nautilus:3098): WARNING **: Can not determine workarea, guessing at layout
/usr/share/system-config-printer/applet.py:44: PyGIWarning: Notify was imported without specifying a version first. Use gi.require_version('Notify', '0.7') before import to ensure that the right version gets loaded.
  from gi.repository import Notify

(gnome-shell:2978): mutter-WARNING **: STACK_OP_RAISE_ABOVE: window 0x5b01600015 not in stack
Window manager warning: Invalid WM_TRANSIENT_FOR window 0x1c00006 specified for 0x1c0000c (wpa_gui).

(gnome-shell:2978): mutter-WARNING **: STACK_OP_RAISE_ABOVE: window 0x5b01600015 not in stack

Nautilus-Share-Message: Called "net usershare info" but it failed: 'net usershare' returned error 255: net usershare: usershares are currently disabled

(gnome-settings-daemon:2922): Gdk-WARNING **: gnome-settings-daemon: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.

(gsd-locate-pointer:2987): Gdk-WARNING **: gsd-locate-pointer: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.

(gnome-shell:2978): Gdk-WARNING **: gnome-shell: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.

gnome-session-binary[2848]: WARNING: App 'gnome-settings-daemon.desktop' exited with code 1
gnome-session-binary[2848]: WARNING: Lost name on bus: org.gnome.SessionManager

** (process:3000): WARNING **: The connection is closed

(nautilus:3098): Gdk-WARNING **: nautilus: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.

firefox: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.

(evolution-alarm-notify:3084): Gdk-WARNING **: evolution-alarm-notify: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.

(tracker-miner-apps:3086): Tracker-CRITICAL **:   (Sparql buffer) Error in array-update: The connection is closed

(tracker-miner-apps:3086): Tracker-CRITICAL **: Could not execute sparql: The connection is closed

(tracker-miner-apps:3086): Tracker-CRITICAL **: Could not execute sparql: The connection is closed

(tracker-miner-apps:3086): Tracker-CRITICAL **:   (Sparql buffer) Error in array-update: The connection is closed

** (gnome-session-failed:3701): WARNING **: Cannot open display:

(tracker-miner-fs:3097): GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor-WARNING **: Owner of volume monitor org.gtk.vfs.UDisks2VolumeMonitor disconnected from the bus; removing drives/volumes/mounts

(tracker-miner-fs:3097): GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor-WARNING **: Owner of volume monitor org.gtk.vfs.GoaVolumeMonitor disconnected from the bus; removing drives/volumes/mounts

(tracker-miner-fs:3097): Tracker-CRITICAL **: Could not remove files in volumes: The connection is closed

(tracker-miner-fs:3097): Tracker-CRITICAL **: Could not remove files in volumes: The connection is closed

(tracker-miner-fs:3097): Tracker-CRITICAL **:   (Sparql buffer) Error in array-update: The connection is closed

(tracker-miner-fs:3097): Tracker-CRITICAL **: Could not execute sparql: The connection is closed

(tracker-miner-fs:3097): Tracker-CRITICAL **: Could not execute sparql: The connection is closed

(tracker-miner-fs:3097): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: Error while sending AddMatch() message: The connection is closed

(tracker-miner-fs:3097): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: Error while sending AddMatch() message: The connection is closed

I haven't been able to pinpoint the exact issue here.
Is it s D-Bus problem? Or is it something else?
I have been struggling with this problem the whole week and I cannot seem to find what he issue is.

If I try to boot the kernel using systemd instead of OpenRC (by adding init=/usr/lib/systemd into grub.cfg), I do manage to get into Desktop, but without sound nor wifi connection (though the WiFi is recognized).
With the failed startx using OpenRC I have WiFi working, it's just that it seems to hit an error just before trying to enter Gnome.

Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated.

NOTE: I tried running startx as root and I still get the "Operation not permitted" from xsession-errors as well.
LightDM seems to run fine too right after boot, but when I try to enter a user, it does the same as with startx (mouse pointer seen, movable, but after a while it gets kicked back to LightDM's login screen)
Also, here's my "xinitrc" file in case it helps as well.
Code:
exec dbus-launch gnome-session ck-launch-session
pulseaudio --system
synclient TapButton1=1
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused about your setup. From what I'm reading from your post, it looks like your system is kind of messed up with lots of things haphazardly merged. Though openrc can exist on systemd boxes, if you have USE=systemd, things may break if you boot with openrc.

If you're instead using Dantrell's forked gnome that works under openrc, please post in the OpenRC+Gnome3.

If you're using the gnome3 in the default portage, you should be using systemd. Pulseaudio should be starting up automatically through dbus, no need to add it in a startup script. Are you using networkmanager and is it enabled/started (if you enable it for openrc, it may not enable for systemd)? What is it actually reporting as the problem not being able to connect?
ShadowOne333
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
I'm confused about your setup. From what I'm reading from your post, it looks like your system is kind of messed up with lots of things haphazardly merged. Though openrc can exist on systemd boxes, if you have USE=systemd, things may break if you boot with openrc.

If you're instead using Dantrell's forked gnome that works under openrc, please post in the OpenRC+Gnome3.

If you're using the gnome3 in the default portage, you should be using systemd. Pulseaudio should be starting up automatically through dbus, no need to add it in a startup script. Are you using networkmanager and is it enabled/started (if you enable it for openrc, it may not enable for systemd)? What is it actually reporting as the problem not being able to connect?

Well I might try to set -systemd in make.conf and then re-emerging @world with the change, then I will try again with said change.
If it doesn't work, I might have to ditch OpenRC (for as much as I like it) and stay with systemd.

As for your question, when I boot up using systemd, the problem I encounter with the WiFi is that it doesn't seem to connect with the wlan0 interface.
wlan0 is recognized, and the driver is loaded, but wpa_supplicant doesn't seem to recognize it to begin connecting to a network.
I don't use NetworkManager or the nm-applet at all, I stick with WPA Supplicant GUI and wpa_cli.
Is NetworkManager necessary for systemd despite having wpa_supplicant?
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to remove systemd and USE=-systemd, you should use Dantrell's Gnome3 overlay/fork that strips systemd features away from Gnome and replaces them with consolekit. This should work much better with OpenRC and make Gnome look more like a modern desktop instead of having things broken here and there.

If you want to just use systemd, one thing is that Gnome3 has its own networkmanager client and will try to call networkmanager to access the network. Underneath networkmanager, it also uses wpa_supplicant but yes, it's mainly the user interface that networkmanager provides (mostly allowing the current user to change networks without requiring root access). I don't believe not having networkmanager is unworkable (though more specific information is needed why it's doesn't want to work) but things work smoothly when Gnome is used with Networkmanager.
ShadowOne333
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disabling the systemd flag didn't do a thing.
I still had issues with booting Gnome3, so I ended up switching everything to "systemd" as the system init.
PulseAudio wasn't running from boot, had to enable it with the --system flag as well to be sure it runs on all users.
Second was the WiFi, I had most issues with this, but after enabling a couple of wpa_supplicant.service instances and dhcpcd, I got it running finally.

Now my only problem is the following thing:
Code:
[*    ]A start job is running for sys-subsystem-net-devices-multi-user.device (Xmins XXs / 1min 30s)

I always get that message when booting the machine.
Taking 90 boot is quite tiresome, and I haven't encountered this issue before.
Something seems to happen on turn-off sequence, but I haven't paid much attention to that one, I'll post it once I see it again.

Anyone has a clue on how to speed up the boot process regarding that message?
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're planning to use manual network setup I'd imagine there should be no network configuration for systemd. Did you change any setup for either ethernet or wifi to get it to automatically start?
ShadowOne333
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manual network?
I'm not quite sure I'm following.

But as far as the internet setup, I didn't change a thing regarding wpa_supplicant configurations or anything related to it.
It was all related to systemd and its services that I modified, I had to enable and start quite a few to get both PulseAudio and WPA Supplicant working properly.

Now for the issue about this:

Code:
[*    ]A start job is running for sys-subsystem-net-devices-multi-user.device (Xmins XXs / 1min 30s)

I did a recursive grep inside /etc/systemd and this is what I found:
Code:
grep -RHn multi-user /etc/systemd/
grep: /etc/systemd/system/dbus-org.wicd.daemon.service: No such file or directory
/etc/systemd/system/dbus-fi.w1.wpa_supplicant1.service:12:WantedBy=multi-user.target
/etc/systemd/system/dbus-org.freedesktop.resolve1.service:46:WantedBy=multi-user.target
/etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants/getty@tty1.service:23:# rescue.target or starts rescue.service from multi-user.target or
/etc/systemd/system/dbus-org.freedesktop.network1.service:17:Before=network.target multi-user.target shutdown.target
/etc/systemd/system/dbus-org.freedesktop.network1.service:44:WantedBy=multi-user.target
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/systemd-resolved.service:46:WantedBy=multi-user.target
grep: /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/wicd.service: No such file or directory
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/systemd-networkd.service:17:Before=network.target multi-user.target shutdown.target
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/systemd-networkd.service:44:WantedBy=multi-user.target
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/machines.target:13:Before=multi-user.target
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/machines.target:16:WantedBy=multi-user.target
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/wpa_supplicant.service:12:WantedBy=multi-user.target
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/remote-fs.target:18:WantedBy=multi-user.target
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/wpa_supplicant@wlan0.service:15:Alias=multi-user.target.wants/wpa_supplicant@%i.service
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/pulseaudio.service:10:WantedBy=multi-user.target
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/wpa_supplicant@.service:15:Alias=multi-user.target.wants/wpa_supplicant@%i.service
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/dhcpcd.service:12:WantedBy=multi-user.target
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/wpa_supplicant-nl80211@.service:15:Alias=multi-user.target.wants/wpa_supplicant-nl80211@%i.service

Maybe one of those is responsible for the delay of 90 seconds at boot, though which one it is, I am not sure.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: