Cannot boot properly, futex facility returned an unexpected
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John5788
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Cannot boot properly, futex facility returned an unexpected Reply with quote

I had to recompile a kernel recently to enable some features for elogind, but the newly compiled kernel doesn't allow me to boot properly. I took a picture of the error messages popping up:

https://imgur.com/a/VHFdY

"The futex facility returned an expected error code."

I've been able to boot back into a working environment using an older kernel that I haven't touched.

I was running gentoo-sources-4.14.8-r1 at one point when it was stable, but now that it has been removed from portage, I am trying to get back to gentoo-sources-4.9.76-r1. The same error messages pop up on either kernel since I recompiled them both today. I am able to boot back into an older gentoo-sources-4.12.12 that I haven't touched since Dec 15.

Once the system brings me to the terminal, I am not capable of logging in. Typing in my credentials brings me back to the login screen again. The only way out is to hit CTRL+ALT+DEL twice and force a reboot.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no reason to regress to 4.9. You will probably get faster to a working kernel simply upgrading to sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-4.14.20, and use your existing .config from .8 as a starting point.
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannot boot properly, futex facility returned an unexpec Reply with quote

John5788 wrote:
Once the system brings me to the terminal, I am not capable of logging in. Typing in my credentials brings me back to the login screen again. The only way out is to hit CTRL+ALT+DEL twice and force a reboot.
That is very strange. Does neither getty nor login print anything useful before dumping you back to the getty prompt? How does your init start your getty?
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
exec format error

your kernel appears to be missing the cpu support for your architecture. (typically this is a 64 bit kernel missing 32 bit support, or vice versa)
John5788
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somethings wrong with the kernel config. But I used an older backup of 4.14.8-gentoo-r1 that was working and compiled 4.14.21-gentoo with and got everything up and running again.

Working config: https://pastebin.com/KB5psndj
Broken config: https://pastebin.com/4kamm9a0
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: