Ryzen 5 2400G compile failure.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tabanus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Ryzen 5 2400G compile failure. Reply with quote

Just built a new PC with a Ryzen 5 2400G

Following the handbook, the system crashes at the 'emerge -uDN world' stage when compiling 'patch' (not sure if sys-devel/patch or dev-python/patch). By crash I mean the screen goes black and the system is completely unresponsive. Only a power-off gets it back. This happens just as the config stage finishes (I think).

I'm installing via the minimal installation CD, dated 2018-02-06, against stage-3 with the same date.
Earlier in the package list it compiled glibc fine which is a much more taxing package. I'm certain it's not a heat issue.

Being such a new CPU, is this likely a compatibility error? I can't imagine this the same problem that affected the first batch of Ryzens last year.

Any advice much appreciated.
Zucca

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Ryzen 5 2400G compile failure. Reply with quote

tabanus wrote:
By crash I mean the screen goes black and the system is completely unresponsive. Only a power-off gets it back.
Uh oh. I do hope you don't have this problem.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
tabanus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Ryzen 5 2400G compile failure. Reply with quote

Zucca wrote:
tabanus wrote:
By crash I mean the screen goes black and the system is completely unresponsive. Only a power-off gets it back.
Uh oh. I do hope you don't have this problem.

Hmmm...might be. I booted with the gentoo-nofb kernel and it seems to be working now. It's compiled patch, now running through a couple of hundred more compiles. Will report back later with the results.
shrike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tabanus,

I would check MB BIOS version. The MB I ordered does not support Raven Ridge CPUs with older BIOS versions. Also, most folk recommend SysRescueCD for new installs.. been a while since I had a UEFI box.

amdgpu may be problematic too:

https://phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMDGPU-DC-34-More-With-Raven

It's gonna be an adventure. :)

shrike
tabanus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disabling fb allowed the compile to finish, but it did crash once more. Not sure which package on because a restart and emerge --resume completed fine.

Now it's failing to compile grub2, with the same error.
Will look into a BIOS update.
tabanus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BIOS update & using systemrescue cd did the trick (did both simultaneously, so not certain which was required).

Cheers.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: