Objection to a Split
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OS Newbie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:39 pm    Post subject: Objection to a Split Reply with quote

John R. Graham wrote:
Split from the three-year-old Old computer hacker (but Linux newbie) seeks guru... as that guy is long gone. — JRG

What? I am NOT long gone. Put that thread back together.
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you haven't posted since 2014, so it was not really an unwarranted assumption. How've you been? ;)

It's still a Necro, which we discourage. (Otherwise, we'd still have people commenting on how great Nitro is and then where would we be?) I'll edit to make clear the primary reason for the split. Unless you want to continue that discussion. Although it's not exactly encouraged, there's slightly more latitude when people Necro their own threads.

- John
OS Newbie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John R. Graham wrote:
Well you haven't posted since 2014, so it was not really an unwarranted assumption. How've you been? ;)

It's still a Necro, which we discourage. (Otherwise, we'd still have people commenting on how great Nitro is and then where would we be?) I'll edit to make clear the primary reason for the split. Unless you want to continue that discussion. Although it's not exactly encouraged, there's slightly more latitude when people Necro their own threads.

- John

In my opinion (I realize that not being anybody of note on the Gentoo forums, my opinion may not carry much weight), this reply from killakiwaski, at least his IRC chat offer, is exactly what I had wished for as a reply to my original posting, and therefore should be attached to that thread. I see no reason for his reply to severed from it. Since my wish for a guru is timeless, my initial request (dream) to have one magically appear as a mentor is just as relevant now as it was when I posted it. It bears no similarity to your example of people doing things like commenting on how great Nitro is. Yes, I WOULD like to continue the discussion that I started, which is to say that anytime in the future when somebody feels like responding to a request for a Gentoo guru, I will want to hear from him. This will be true even after I become a great Gentoo guru myself.

That having been said, I would like to avoid stirring up the frenzy of recommendations from members who for whatever reason, want to discourage me from pursuing my chosen course, who want me to see the value in bootstrapping myself to Gentoo enlightenment by other means, etc. But I think that starting the thread over with killakiwaski's comment would probably be even more effective at stirring up that frenzy than would continuing the thread as it was.

To answer your first question, I have been fine (designing/manufacturing products, remodeling my compound here, writing, doing media production, marketing, etc.). Surprisingly perhaps, I have never found myself wishing that I could hear from people who want to talk me out of seeking that Gentoo guru. I get some enjoyment from being an eager mentor, "adopting" people who might benefit from my decades of compulsively immersive forays into seemingly unrelated pools of creative thought. I like helping them avoid wrong turns on their paths toward enlightenment. This is where my guru request comes from. I keep hoping to cross paths with someone who is similarly motivated, but who has a deep understanding of Gentoo, and a facility with mentoring that is similar to mine. That may be unlikely to come to pass, but why not ask, eh?
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, per your wishes (and mine, frankly), I feel no need to rejoin that particular debate. But,
OS Newbie wrote:

OS Newbie wrote:
That having been said, I would like to avoid stirring up the frenzy of recommendations from members who for whatever reason, want to discourage me from pursuing my chosen course, who want me to see the value in bootstrapping myself to Gentoo enlightenment by other means, etc. But I think that starting the thread over with killakiwaski's comment would probably be even more effective at stirring up that frenzy than would continuing the thread as it was.

Given that dichotomy, what are your wishes? Put it back the way it was (merging your reply) or leave matters as they are now (perhaps filtering out our discussion)?

- John
OS Newbie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John R. Graham wrote:
Well, per your wishes (and mine, frankly), I feel no need to rejoin that particular debate. But,
OS Newbie wrote:

OS Newbie wrote:

What are your wishes in this respect? Put it back the way it was (merging your reply) or leave matters as they are now (perhaps filtering out our discussion)?

- John

My preference is that the entirety of this thread be reassembled. My hope is that people reading it will notice the parts about none of us wanting to see the return of that "debate," and that they won't feel obliged to post anything at all unless they want to be the angelic gurus I seek. :wink:
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah. Sorry; misread the second quoted paragraph. I'll rally all the king's horses and all of his men.

- John
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: