Cannot connect to internet after install: Acer c720
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chromosome_gun
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Cannot connect to internet after install: Acer c720 Reply with quote

During the install I connected to the internet very easily. The Acer c720 chromebook does no have an ethernet connection, so I have to use the wireless card.

I screwed up something during the installation because now when I login, I don't have any of the commands to connect to the internet (iw, dhcpcd, net-setup)

I've been reading similar posts, and people recommend to chroot from the install disk to the installed Gentoo. However, my problem with the Acer c720, is that when the SeaBios screen pops up, I only have one option to boot from the HDD.

So how can I connect to the internet with a wireless connection?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you perform the install?

You can write systemrescuecd to a USB drive and use it to chroot into the Gentoo install.
chromosome_gun
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
How did you perform the install?

You can write systemrescuecd to a USB drive and use it to chroot into the Gentoo install.

I've installed Arch and Xubuntu on the Acer c720 before. The trick is to reinstall ChromeOS and do all the things that will allow the computer to boot from a USB stick. It literally requires taking apart the computer and removing a write-protect screw on the mobo. It's quite a pain.

A last ditch resort would be to reinstall Gentoo and install the required packages for connecting to the internet. But it took over 6 hours to compile everything ......

Is there a guide on systemrescuecd? Is there a way for me to mount the ststemrescuecd in the Gentoo install and then chroot from the rescue to the install (since I cannot boot from a USB)?

Thanks for the reply
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could download and install binary packages, transferring with USB stick. http://packages.gentooexperimental.org/packages/
chromosome_gun
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:
You could download and install binary packages, transferring with USB stick. http://packages.gentooexperimental.org/packages/

Thank you. I think this will work
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chromosome_gun wrote:
A last ditch resort would be to reinstall Gentoo and install the required packages for connecting to the internet. But it took over 6 hours to compile everything ......
If Jaglover's suggestion works, never mind, but how did you install Gentoo that currently exists on the device?
chromosome_gun
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
If Jaglover's suggestion works, never mind, but how did you install Gentoo that currently exists on the device?

I followed the installation guide for amd64. I installed wireless-tools and other binaries. Took me a while but got it to connect. Thanks for the advice!

This Guide:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Sakaki%27s_EFI_Install_Guide/Setting_Up_Networking_and_Connecting_via_ssh

And installing from the source binaries of wireless-tools and wpa_supplicant did the job.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering which physical method, since you mentioned not being able to use a CD or and not easily use USB devices.

Glad you got it to work.
chromosome_gun
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
I was wondering which physical method, since you mentioned not being able to use a CD or and not easily use USB devices.

Glad you got it to work.

With the USB. You can boot using a USB but you have to set up the conditions in ChromeOS. The Acer c720 has SeaBIOS that a user can activate and tell to boot from a USB. However, in my experience, once you installed an OS from a USB, SeaBIOS will not recognize USBs anymore. I'm not sure why.

Anyway, my connection is working now, but the internet is not. I have no idea why this is happening.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: