Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[Solved] Does anyone use acroread these days?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
calmbear
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: [Solved] Does anyone use acroread these days? Reply with quote

After upgrading to 17.0 profile acroread-9.5 (which was saved from portage during its removal) stopped work. Does anyone still use it and have some tips and tricks to reanimate this reader? Strace looks hopeless for me https://pastebin.com/4GK9LJyC

Edit: Apparently acroread-7 still works so I'll stick with it.

Last edited by calmbear on Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total
massimo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not pick something else https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Recommended_applications#Document_readers ?
calmbear
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

massimo wrote:
Why not pick something else https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Recommended_applications#Document_readers ?

I use okular and evince as well but there are tons of tricky documents for which I need acroread
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I had the same problem - From some light testing, it looks like a gcc-6.4-compiled glibc breaks a LOT of old binary-only programs like acroread-9 and thunderbird-1.5.

I reverted to profile 13 thinking it was 17 and PIE that was causing the problem, but when I recompiled bindist, libtool and glibc with gcc-6.4 all the binaries died again.

Recompiling glibc with gcc-5.4 fixed the problem.

I haven't had a chance to see if I can use some compiler flags to make gcc6.4 compile glibc in a way that doesn't break my old programs; That's a big haystack...

I have a gut feeling it is something to do with changes in default stack alignment settings in newer gcc's

acroread basically has no open-source equivalent right now; There are plenty that will read very basic simple PDFs, but if you have something that uses protected forms or any special functions, like a lot of government forms I'm dealing with atm, you can only really use acrobat, which is a source of some rectal discomfort.
massimo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyker wrote:
acroread basically has no open-source equivalent right now; There are plenty that will read very basic simple PDFs, but if you have something that uses protected forms or any special functions, like a lot of government forms I'm dealing with atm, you can only really use acrobat, which is a source of some rectal discomfort.

Are you able to process any of these forms with a web browser, e.g., google chrome, chromium or vivaldi?
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only for information message because acroread was removed
Code:
# Andreas K. Hüttel <dilfridge@gentoo.org> (8 June 2017)
# Dead upstream for >3 years. Closed source. Bundles outdated
# libraries that certainly have known security issues (e.g.,
# icu-36 (!) or curl). Does not start anymore but segfaults.
# Removal in 30 days.

Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

massimo wrote:
Cyker wrote:

Are you able to process any of these forms with a web browser, e.g., google chrome, chromium or vivaldi?

Nope; In fact I am really pissed at Google right now as recently they've disabled all support for third-party PDF viewers - You can only use the basic one built into Chrome!

Previously there was an option to open PDFs in another application, but now you have to save it somewhere first *then* open it. You would not believe how much this has confused the admins I support, who grouse at me about it!

It's a huge PITA that Chrome is now the dominant browser as it is also has the worst support for anything non-google. Even IE had options for handling different file formats that were download but Chrome has removed virtually everything!!

Do no evil my shiny metal ass; They're becoming as bad as Apple and Microsoft! Why is it as soon as something gets big they turn to jerks?!

God I wish Opera was still its old self. I actually paid for every version of Opera up until it became free - At the time I thought that was a good thing but in hindsight I actually wish they kept it pay-ware! Market-share be damned, because the majority of the market are morons - I'd pay to keep a niche product like that alive!!
calmbear
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyker, thank you for the reply. Unfortunately your trick with recompiling glibc doesn't work, and I don't want to switch to 13.0 profile to investigate it deeper. Luckily, acroread-7 still works and I'll stick with it for a while.
natrix
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use acroread on wine. It work fine to me.
Hu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acroread-7 likely has even more security problems than the more recent versions.

natrix: what version of Acroread are you using through Wine? Why did you elect that over one of the PDF viewers with a less embarrassing security history?
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why install a dead 32-bit application that Adobe stopped developing in 2013 and that is full of security vulnerabilities?

Last release for Linux:
ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/unix/9.x/9.5.5/enu/

Security vulnerabilities:
https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvekey.cgi?keyword=acrobat

PDF-XChange Editor (current version is 7.0.324.3, updated on 27 Feb 2018) running under WINE is much better than the obsolete Adobe Acrobat Reader for Linux in any case. I compared an earlier version of PDF-XChange Editor in a 2016 blog post and it was much better than Acrobat Reader for Linux:

https://fitzcarraldoblog.wordpress.com/2016/09/20/completing-pdf-forms-and-adding-your-signature-without-having-to-print-the-form/

If you want a PDF reader/printer, I recommend giving it a try. I've been using it in Gentoo for quite some time.

Tracker software Products wrote:
Around 85% of the features require no license to use.
Approx 15% of the advanced features which are clearly identified will place a trial watermark on output if used without a license.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
kite14
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading this post I've learned about Master PDF Editor; even if it's not open source, it's a complete solution for viewing and editing PDFs and supports XFA modules and JavaScript. Looks like it's the closest Linux-native replacement for Acroread. It is available in portage tree → https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/app-text/master-pdf-editor
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: