Assorted KDE annoyances driving me nuts
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iandoug
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Assorted KDE annoyances driving me nuts Reply with quote

Hi

After the past week's fun and games ( https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1075938.html ) which led to me rebuilding my desktop and having to re-add all email user acccounts (and added some dead accounts which led to my mail server fail2banning me...),

some things currently driving me nuts, which were not a problem in the past...

1. Baloo. Have disabled file indexing in settings->search, but the (*&(&(& thing insists on starting when I start KDE, and before you know it it has chewed up 6GB of memory (of 16), and UI starts experiencing sudden 'pauses' where nothing happens for seconds at a time, at which point I kill the file-extractor process to restore normality, Is there a better solution?

2. Kmail/Akonadi (PBUH lest I curse):

a. filters on incoming mail not working but work with ctrl-J. This used to be an issue randomly in the past, but always came right if you restarted KDE. This workaround no longer works. Ideas?

b. The old 'message won't delete' issue, which I normally fixed by clearing the cache in akonadiconsole. However now it says the folder is empty (the messages are still on disk, but that brain-dead akonadi thinks they are not.) How do I force a rescan? In previous versions, clearing the cache forced the rescan, but they went and broke something there...

(at times like these I wish I had time to learn C/C++ just so I can go fix these annoyances... )

</rant>

Any ideas gratefully received :-)

Thanks, Ian
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Assorted KDE annoyances driving me nuts Reply with quote

iandoug wrote:
1. Baloo. Have disabled file indexing in settings->search, but the (*&(&(& thing insists on starting when I start KDE, and before you know it it has chewed up 6GB of memory (of 16), and UI starts experiencing sudden 'pauses' where nothing happens for seconds at a time, at which point I kill the file-extractor process to restore normality, Is there a better solution?

USE=-semantic-desktop
iandoug
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Assorted KDE annoyances driving me nuts Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
iandoug wrote:

USE=-semantic-desktop

Thanks, will give that a try. The page here https://packages.gentoo.org/useflags/semantic-desktop does not mention Baloo, suppose it's implied.

Code:

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R    ] kde-apps/gwenview-17.08.3:5::gentoo  USE="X handbook kipi raw -debug -semantic-desktop* {-test}" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] kde-apps/dolphin-17.08.3:5::gentoo  USE="handbook -debug -semantic-desktop* {-test} -thumbnail" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] kde-plasma/plasma-workspace-5.11.5:5::gentoo  USE="calendar handbook -appstream -debug -geolocation -gps -prison -qalculate -semantic-desktop* -systemd {-test}" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] kde-plasma/plasma-desktop-5.11.5:5::gentoo  USE="fontconfig gtk3 handbook legacy-systray mouse pulseaudio qt4 -appstream -debug -gtk2 -ibus -scim -semantic-desktop* {-test} -touchpad" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] kde-apps/kdenlive-17.08.3:5::gentoo  USE="handbook -debug -freesound (-gles2) -jogshuttle -semantic-desktop* -v4l" 0 KiB

Thanks, Ian
iandoug
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After emerge finished I exited KDE and restarted in, and yes, baloo file extractor is still running and taking 12% CPU and ever-increasing memory...

Maybe it requires reboot?....

Will try tomorrow.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove it? You've rebuilt with USE=-semantic-desktop, now run --depclean.
iandoug
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
Remove it? You're rebuild with USE=-semantic-desktop, now run --depclean.

Ah, I see .... that removes Baloo.

But first I must install new kernel else will have troubles again... :-)

--depclean should NEVER remove currently active kernel sources...

Thanks, Ian
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your kernel sources are irrelevant to runtime.
iandoug
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
Your kernel sources are irrelevant to runtime.

If I need to rebuild nvidia drivers then it wants them. (if I remember correctly).

Had problems in the past ....

Cheers Ian
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you install the kernel manually, you are responsible for keeping its sources if you need them.
miket
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my thing about emerge --depclean:

I never run that the first time without the -p switch. This shows you the packages it would delete but leaves everything alone. After being sure of what I want to keep, I add those items to the exclude list and then let --depclean run. For example,
Code:
 emerge --depclean --exclude 'gentoo-sources:4.12.12 gcc'

keeps the (unsupported and vulnerable!) kernel 4.12.12 and all GCC versions. Actually, I still tend to use -p even after first setting up the --exclude atoms just to be sure I got things right.

You could also exclude a kernel version from --depclean harvesting by putting the specific version or slot specifier in your @world set. Doing so isn't high on my list of good ideas, but it's possible.
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can reduce time spent a bit by using --ask instead of --pretend, if you expect that it will do the right thing. Then, if your expectation is wrong and you do not want to continue, answer no. If it is right, you avoid rerunning the process without -p. Depending on the complexity of the dependencies that Portage checks, preventing a rerun of the dependency analysis can be a substantial time saver.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: