Offsite backup of large mysql database
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
petterg
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Offsite backup of large mysql database Reply with quote

My favorite backup software for offsite backups of large files has retired: Obnam
Does anyone here have experience alternatives to Obnam in a large file environment?

I notice a lot of obnam users are switching to Restic. As Restic is a fork of Attic, makes me skeptical. Before I started to use Obnam (April 2015), I used Attic. The problem with Attic was that it took A LOT of cpu and network bandwidth to calculate which parts of the large files to transfer. Basically the calculations on a 40Mbit connection took upto 8 hours with cpu load, while transfering the actual data took less than an hour. I believe the dataset I had at that time was about 4TB, with 2-300MB daily changes. Most of the files were 100-600GB in size (vm-ware disk snapshot files).
With Obnam this all was done in a couple of hours, and the daily increase of required storage space was just a fraction of what Attic required.

The thing with Attic was that it worked well the first few months. So if I should test Restic, it would take quite some time to figure if it has the same issues.

My current need is offsite backup of a mysql database that is expected to grow into 2TB shortly.

My requirements for the backup are:
- push backup
- encryption performed on source side
- daily versions for 30days, monthly versions for a year
- deduplication
- source side knows which fragments that needs to be sent to destination in a timely maner
- (it's OK if setup requires root access on both source and destination servers)

Does anyone have experience with such software?
soitgoes0745
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using borgbackup. I backed up ~500gb and keep incremental backups almost daily. My backups are encrypted and deduplicated both on a remote drive and on a separate local drive. Remounting my backups is very easy, and I have a rotation for so many backups per day, per week and per month. I never used Obnam but I would recommend Borg. I believe it is also an Attic fork.

Best Regards
petterg
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks
Reading the history of Borgbackup, I realize the guy behind Borg is the guy I ran into discussions of Attic with back in 2015. I left Attic, he changed it. We were having the same issues, so there's a good chance he'd fixed exactly that. I'll give it a test for a while. If/when it fails I'll come back to this topic.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: