KDE black screen after migration to 17.0 [Solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iandoug
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:31 am    Post subject: KDE black screen after migration to 17.0 [Solved] Reply with quote

hi

So after 3rd attempt eventually the emerge -e world step finished (42 hours...)

However KDE fails to start properly.... all I get is a black screen and a cursor I can move around.

No idea where to start with fixing this, as everything was working fine before the whole "migrate to 17" step.

Solutions desperately received ... been without desktop since the weekend and really need it. Doing this on emergency laptop.

If I alt-ctrl-backspace out, I see a message about
Warning: cannot contact kdeinit5!

My profile is set to desktop/plasma (stable)

Thanks, Ian

Last edited by iandoug on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total
iandoug
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW if I just put
exec xterm

in .xininitrc

then X launches, and I can start things like Konsole or
Firefox that way, although Kmail launches it does not fetch mail....

So seems like more KDE than X issue?

Suggestions gratefully received...

Thanks, Ian
iandoug
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still no ideas after 100 reads?

Can't believe I'm the only one with this problem.

After reading https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=289&t=138332 I tried seeing if it was an issue, I only seem to have config-ifinality which is like 5 years old so I un-emerged it, but still no joy...

I have resynced and updated world, but the 8 packages installed had nothing to do with this.

Also tried other profiles (including switching back to 13) but nothing helped....

Both versions of revdep-rebuild say everthing is consistent.

If I launch plain X with some xterm windows, I am able to launch Konsole, and from there, Firefox, but unable to type into firefox even after clicking on text entry bar..... not even able to use other xterm windows one Konsole is started. Which is frustrating.

So I installed icewm (which promptly wanted config-ifinality back) and was able to do a startkde from xterm there.

This allowed me to have a 'working' KDE with icewm window decorations, but has not solved the original problem.

Any ideas gratefully received :-)

Thanks, Ian
PrSo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this solution will apply to that situation. I had similar problem, and resolving was simple as delete
Code:
 ~/.cache
directory and reboot.

Moreover I am sitting on ~amd86 and I had to mask mesa 18.0.0_rc2 through portage because of crashes in plasma 5..
iandoug
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrSo wrote:
I don't know if this solution will apply to that situation. I had similar problem, and resolving was simple as delete
Code:
 ~/.cache
directory and reboot.

Moreover I am sitting on ~amd86 and I had to mask mesa 18.0.0_rc2 through portage because of crashes in plasma 5..

Thanks, will give it a try tomorrow (need to catch up the work backlog first before I experiment).

Cheers, Ian
houtworm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read your messages but had no answer until the hint from PrSo
removing the files of ~/.cache gave me my desktop back.
But now all applications from the start menu were gone.
kbuildsycoca5 did not help but finally after (re)moving the plasma* files from ~/.config I had everything back.

Kees
iandoug
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

houtworm wrote:
I have read your messages but had no answer until the hint from PrSo
removing the files of ~/.cache gave me my desktop back.
But now all applications from the start menu were gone.
kbuildsycoca5 did not help but finally after (re)moving the plasma* files from ~/.config I had everything back.

Dankie, glad to know I'm not the only one suffering.

Will advise tomorrow how things go. Need system to work tonight.

Thanks, ian
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrSo wrote:
Code:
 ~/.cache
directory and reboot.

Just wanted to say that I likewise had to mask mesa-18.0.0_rc2 due to plasmashell dumping core at startup with nouveau and vdpau enabled. Going back down to mesa-17.3.3 and doing nothing else stopped plasmashell from crashing on startup for me.
iandoug
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidm wrote:
PrSo wrote:
Code:
 ~/.cache
directory and reboot.

Just wanted to say that I likewise had to mask mesa-18.0.0_rc2 due to plasmashell dumping core at startup with nouveau and vdpau enabled. Going back down to mesa-17.3.3 and doing nothing else stopped plasmashell from crashing on startup for me.

I am still on Mesa 17.2.8.

However... following ideas in https://forum.antergos.com/topic/5194/plasma-5-8-1-black-screen-visible-cursor

I instead did this:

mv .cache .iancache
mv .config .ianconfig

and rebooted [aside: why do all solutions to this problem mention reboot instead of just log out/log in? Maybe they launch X on boot, instead of terminal?]

which did not work.

so
mv .ianconfig .config
and reboot again.

which did not work.

so
mv .iancache .cache
and reboot again...

and Eureka, it works.

My carefully created desktop (program launcher and info at top OS/2 style, running programs on bottom bar Win95 style) is gone, and I'm back with that horrid 'panel'-style launcher instead of sane legacy style, and my Sticky Notes with my to-do lists are gone
(that may be a problem....) but at least it launched...

Will mark this as solved for now. Thanks to all who offered ideas :-)

Cheers, Ian
PrSo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidm wrote:

Just FYI there is a bug report on mesa 18.0.0_rc2:
https://bugs.gentoo.org/645756.

Devs are saying that this is the upstream problem.

@iandoug
I don know exactly what apps you are using, but there should be something in .config/.ianconfig folder that was moved. IMHO the .cache folder should not have influence on your app settings, there should be only things to speed theirs startup and work up, ie. mesa shader cache, but I could be totally wrong tough.
iandoug
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrSo wrote:

@iandoug
I don know exactly what apps you are using, but there should be something in .config/.ianconfig folder that was moved. IMHO the .cache folder should not have influence on your app settings, there should be only things to speed theirs startup and work up, ie. mesa shader cache, but I could be totally wrong tough.

Lots of things are borked, including Kmail.... my folders are there, as are identities, but all account info (multiple email accounts and domains) are all gone, Will have to rebuild I suppose... not sure if this is because when Kmail started it said it had found another mail folder, do I want to import. I have Kmail and Thunderbird, so was not sure if the question related to existing kmail or thunderbird, so I said yes, then cancelled when it turned out to be the thunderbird stuff.

So somewhere in my mv folders operations things get badly messed up. Guess I should have backed them up first ... Will see if I can find backups to tape from before last weekend and try to recover that way

In other news, system is 'sluggish' ... seems slower than when I was running through icewm after migrating to 17.

Cheers, Ian
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mesa-18.0.0_rc3 (now in tree) fixes this stuff.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8177432.html#8177432
Gentoo ~amd64 plasma, glibc-2.29-r2, gcc-8.3.0-r1 kernel-5.0.7-gentoo USE=experimental
houtworm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a black kde screen a few times now.
I just compiled a new kernel gentoo-sources-4.15.1 and after a reboot another black screen.
I deleted ~/.config.plasma* but no luck
Then I removed everything from ~/.cache but no luck.
I emerged sddm another time but no luck.
Then I booted with the previous kernel gentoo-sources-4.15.0 and I have kde back!

mesa-18.0.0-rc3 is installed.

Kees
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrc1944 wrote:
Mesa-18.0.0_rc3 (now in tree) fixes this stuff.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8177432.html#8177432

Hmmm. I still had plasmashell immediately segfault upon upgrading to Mesa-18.0.0_rc3 with kernel 4.15.0. As before masking Mesa-18.* and doing nothing else solved the issue for me.

I'm going to try updating the system further with kernel 4.15.1 later when the tree stabilizes a bit. It looks like there are some issues with the qt bump currently. Maybe that will fix it. In any event Mesa18.0.0_rc3 definitely does not fix this in all cases.
PrSo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mesa 18_rc3 is still usable, but first you have to apply a patch that was not merged upstream yet:

https://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/patch/?id=041b18cf23a0acf7b0eddf63cd7a2a10192432a1

This can be achieved by putting the patch to /etc/portage/patches/media-libs/mesa/ and recompile mesa:

Code:
emerge -1 mesa

I have resolved problems with sddm by additionally deleting a /var/lib/sddm/.cache,
after that everything works.

EDIT:

Kernel 4.15.1 here.

Last edited by PrSo on Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
davidm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrSo wrote:
Mesa 18_rc3 is still usable, but first you have to apply a patch that was not merged upstream yet:

https://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/patch/?id=041b18cf23a0acf7b0eddf63cd7a2a10192432a1

This can be achieved by putting the patch to /etc/portage/patches/media-libs/mesa/ and recompile mesa:

Code:
emerge -1 mesa

I have resolved problems with sddm by additionally deleting a /var/lib/sddm/.cache,
after that everythings works.

EDIT:

Kernel 4.15.1 here.

Okay, thank you. From your link here is the upstream bug report:

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=104762
houtworm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrSo wrote:
[...]
after that everythings works.

Thanks for the patch. I recompiled mesa and also deleted the sddm cache and now sddm starts with kernel 4.15.1 :-)

Also the systemsettings work again without segfault in libc

thanks!

--Kees

Kees
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: