Can't boot on uefi
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
csslgnt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Can't boot on uefi Reply with quote

I need some help. I have triple boot setup as follows:
sda1 - system reserved
sda2 - boot (uefi)
sda3 - system reserved
sda4 - windows 10
sda5 - Arch
sda6 - swap
sda7 - kali
sda8 - home
So my problem is i deleted arch and installed Gentoo on sda5 but although grub (which i run from kali now) is able to detect my Gentoo install, nothing happens when i click it on grub's menu. I've installed Gentoo a couple of times but never had to do it in a uefi setup like this. i feel like im missing something simple but important, and as its my work laptop i don't want to mess the boot partition and break everything. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

csslgnt, as you are probably aware there are many things that could cause the nothing happening symptom.

Could you please attempt to provide a bit more diagnostic information so that someone might be able to direct you as to how to go about fixing the problem?

A coupole of questions to think about, in the meantime, when you installed Gentoo (over the Kali parition) did you update your grub configuration as instructed in the Wiki as part of the installation. If you did and it still isn't working then I think you may have to boot into one of the other working operating systems to check into some possible other contributing factors, such as anything from a missing or incomplete fstab file, to another problem however unlikely that problem may be (such as with files, users, permissions, etc.). Another question: did you as part of the gentoo installation configure and install a new kernel?

Quote:
i don't want to mess the boot partition and break everything

This is always a concern of people, and because you are dealing with something sort of temporary (in the form of a hard drive and digital information) but it is only really problematic if you yourself make it the issue. In other words, if you stay away from any seriously drastic methods of trying to problem-solve or troubleshoot such as formatting or deleting files then generally the kind of a thing you refer to here doesn't just happen by itself and you would have to do something for that problem to occur.

Quote:
but although grub (which i run from kali now) is able to detect my Gentoo install

Also here what is unclear about this is whether or the grub configuration actually is detecting Gentoo or isn't, which has only to do with if did you run the command to update grub (grub-mkconfig command) from within your gentoo installation (usually while still in a chroot environment and before booting again into the new installation). If the correct files and kernel are there, then the grub rescue shell, which you can access bypassing the pre-configured choices for grub entries, usually by pressing a letter ("e") at the boot screen and then attempt to boot from there, however this doesn't seem like it is what is needed as you already should have through one of the several other OS's installed on your drive a means to go in and fix the boot issues.

Hint: make sure you have the /boot partition mounted when you go to install kernel and then running update to grub as well (this should fix like 99% of the problems)

Have at it :)
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Can't boot on uefi Reply with quote

csslgnt wrote:
So my problem is i deleted arch and installed Gentoo on sda5 but although grub

Have you tried giving Gentoo its own UEFI boot entry? It can easily be done. Just follow
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The suggestion to boot with Efi stub is ok. It will or can bypass the grub files. You must still be sure that efi is installed and working on the actively running operating system (before you can make changes to the UEFI boot loader, whether thats grub or another method such as stub boot for efi system). You do not want to go through with thinking you updated boot entries to find out later that the system was not using uefi and therefore could not produce a new efi boot emtry, if that makes sense.

It has to do with the EFI variables needed to configure the boot entries.

You can generally test that from the command line so definitely read those links mentioned by charles17 as it explains a bunch about efi tools available in linux.
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have any update on the Gentoo boot process? If everything in your partition table is as it was, the same with Kali linux, and you just installed Gentoo over the kalil linux partition, hopefully on a ext type filesystem. Then you should be able to check the install is booting properly using either a working Grub entry or the Grub command rescue shell.

Seen as a last resort, but the command line can be useful to both locate the linux partition and files and then boot from command line as well. Just google something like booting Grub rescue shell. I suppose once you are booted, into the operating system that you will be needing to update your grub configurations, with efi and locations for the kernel. That part can be a bit tricky too, so go slow and hopefully you can do it in one shot and have a working entry for your bootloader following this protocol.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: