Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
YP/NIS transition? What are people doing? Going to OpenLDAP?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: YP/NIS transition? What are people doing? Going to OpenLDAP? Reply with quote

According to 626050 and 626052 YP/NIS got lastrited. For those who are still using YP/NIS, what are your plans when ypserv and ypbind's removal from portage?

I admit I have not been keeping up my YP install as it had been working very nicely up until a major server reshuffle. After that, I didn't update it very often. Now that it will be removed, is it time to transition to something else, like OpenLDAP? Or what are your plans?
CptPajamas
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A timely message.

I've also just noticed that YPBIND has been removed from the tree.

I had previously contracted with someone to migrate to OpenLDAP away from NIS, and it's not a trivial procedure, especially as it pertains to migrating current machines over to a different authentication system and maintaining permissions, et al. It ended up ultimately being too expensive and taking too much time, so it never succeeded or was completed.

I'm going to git clone the YPBIND-MT tree and compile it myself for the time being, since it's the only element missing from the tree -- yp-tools is still there. If you'd like, I can update the thread with success/failure stories.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: