Should I use Gentoo?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drysh
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Should I use Gentoo? Reply with quote

I used to have gentoo installed on my home computer. But since I quit being a programmer and started using computer mostly as an user and a gamer, I moved to Windows and Linux Mint (Debian based). I don't have much time for my computer these days, so I use what's easier, not always what's best (I rather use my time to play a game than tweaking the OS).

Note that this is my home computer, with nothing very important (except some home banking, but Mint is good enough for this). At work I'm not in charge of the computers, and it doesn't really matter since I can easily connect to them from any Linux or Windows when needed.

But, I miss gentoo... I noticed it yesterday. I miss what I believe is the greatest asset of Gentoo: you, the user base. I always had someone helping me setting some strange hardware or tweaking that program to do exactly what i wanted. Can I have my cake and eat it too?

My needs:
• Be able to play Windows games easily. Is wine up to the task? Or will I have to adjust it for each new game? Should I dual boot anyway?
• Instant, easy, hands free updates, without having to wait for everything to compile or adjust something somewhere.
• Be able to run non-free software (mostly Linux games and Steam) without trouble.
• Run Flash, Unity, HTML5 games. I'm currently using Windows for this.
• If possible and easy to set, it could become a file server/media streamer, so I could put my pdf, photos, musics and movies and watch/read/listen from my TV, cel or tablet (only at home, I don't need to have access from anywhere).

The main advantages of others distros are that I can forget about them and only keep minimally updated (mostly security updates) until it's time to install the next version (once a year or two or when I buy a new computer -- last time I did that was 2015, so it's time to update), and that most things are compatible with debian based distros. The main disadvantage of gentoo is that it takes a long time to update (or used to).

So... Should I come back?
AJM
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you enjoy fiddling with your computer and getting it working exactly as you would like then yes, you should come back. If you just want to get in and drive then maybe Gentoo isn't right for you and will just frustrate you.

I couldn't imagine using anything else for my own main PC - it MUST work exactly like I want and be squeaky clean. For other machines I use all sorts of distros though - I have a Chromebook which gets mostly used for general web browsing at home (though it's a nice fast machine so I often use it out and about for configuring routers, switches etc.)

Various Raspberry Pi mini servers run Raspbian, and I have a "disposable" laptop which runs Mint; this one I use if I have a one-off need for a particular program I don't necessarily want to pollute my desktop PC with; like all binary distros it ends up a cluttered mess eventually but I don't really care as I could wipe it any time and not lose anything of value.

I'm not a gamer so can't really comment on that aspect - though the first game I have played in many years (Machinarium) works perfectly under Wine which is handy as the Linux version is ancient and broken!
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I use Gentoo? Reply with quote

Drysh wrote:
• Instant, easy, hands free updates, without having to wait for everything to compile or adjust something somewhere.
This has never been what you get with Gentoo. It's always been—and still is—a source-based meta-distribution, so compilation is a Gentoo way of life.
Drysh wrote:
If must have that, then no, because you'd be disappointed. Not that you wouldn't be welcome. ;)

- John
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I use Gentoo? Reply with quote

Drysh wrote:
I miss what I believe is the greatest asset of Gentoo: you, the user base. I always had someone helping me setting some strange hardware or tweaking that program to do exactly what i wanted. Can I have my cake and eat it too?

You could join the ones that miss the taste because they are on diet, they all crawl like ghosts in OTW :)

(yeah they even make scary sounds, walking dead and making some "obamaaaaaaaa" or "gunnnnnnss" sound)
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can I have my cake and eat it too?

You must have one cake to eat it, but you can't eat you cake and still have it afterwards ;)

Quote:
The main advantages of others distros are that I can forget about them and only keep minimally updated (mostly security updates) until it's time to install the next version (once a year or two or when I buy a new computer
I'm not a very active maintainer of my box either those days. Still, it #worksforme. Sync runs from cron, emerge -avuDN @world roughly once a week, and the vast majority of those updates doesn't require any intervention on my part.

This said, given your other requirements, you may want to keep your current setup. Both, mint and dual boot, just make sure you don't expose anything important to that windows (remove linux drive when you boot win, :lol: or keep it in a VM ). You know, it can drink your milk, fry your cat, impregnate your girlfriend, and the worst of all: steal, or damage your precious data.
JackHunt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Instant, easy, hands free updates, without having to wait for everything to compile or adjust something somewhere.

Based on this criteria, sadly I would say that the answer to your question is no. However, if you can tolerate the compiling and lower level management of your configuration then I would say to give Gentoo a go again.

I have been using Gentoo a little while now and must say that now I know my way around, maintenance isn't as laborious as one might think.
Zucca

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I use Gentoo? Reply with quote

Drysh wrote:
• Be able to play Windows games easily. Is wine up to the task? Or will I have to adjust it for each new game? Should I dual boot anyway?
It really depends which games you're going to play. Easiest might be running virtualized Windows gaming OS. And if possible have a VGA passtrough (dedicating a secondary complete GPU for the virtualized system). Once you have set it up you could even roll back some failed windows updates with ease.
Drysh wrote:
No. Unless you can use some binhost.
Drysh wrote:
• Be able to run non-free software (mostly Linux games and Steam) without trouble.
• Run Flash, Unity, HTML5 games. I'm currently using Windows for this.
Why would you still want flash? :o Anyway. For windowsy things you can always use the virtualized Windows.
Drysh wrote:
• If possible and easy to set, it could become a file server/media streamer, so I could put my pdf, photos, musics and movies and watch/read/listen from my TV, cel or tablet (only at home, I don't need to have access from anywhere).
This is where Linux excels. I'd go as far as guarantee that you'd get help from these forums for setting up your media sharing system. Also the wiki is pretty comprehensive nowdays.

Drysh wrote:
I think you have your answer after you have read all the replies. :)
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
krizoek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd suggest if you want to use linux, consider using only things made for it.

it's good to keep that windows stuff away from your main physical computer. i think there is risks by it. never know what's up with it.

i have been doing this for a while, playing only linux games and having only linux on the computer. it's quite liberating

if it's not for linux, it doesn't exist :wink:
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I use Gentoo? Reply with quote

Drysh wrote:

You won't get that with any OS. Not even Windows.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had it on my Nokia 3310
Hell, I didn't even have to update it, that thing simply didn't age!
Zucca

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

szatox wrote:
I had it on my Nokia 3310
Hell, I didn't even have to update it, that thing simply didn't age!
I remember having a calculator that had a nice VFD and, come to think of it... I never actually needed to update it!
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: