Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Should knghtbrd be in the offensive fortune set?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redblade7
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:43 am    Post subject: Should knghtbrd be in the offensive fortune set? Reply with quote

Hi,

Not sure if I should post this in the Gamers forum (technically it's retro-gaming I guess :) but in the fortune packages, the knghtbrd file is pretty vulgar and IMO it should go in the offensive set.

Also, in the non-offensive "definitions" file, there is one definition "QFD" which should probably be in off/definitions with the rest of the F-words.

definitions, off/definitions, and knghtbrd are stock fortunes, not third party ones (i.e. they are not part of a separate package like SP or slack-fortunes-*)

Bugzilla says I should discuss on the forum first, and this might be by design (i.e. the choice of the developers). Should I file bugs (1) to move knghtbrd to offensive and (2) to move QFD from definitions to off/definitions?

Thank you!

EDIT: Apparently both issues are true of upstream. Should I take it there instead?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think "Bugzilla says I should discuss on the forum first" means for a technical problem, to see if there is a known solution.

In this case, your issue is with the ebuild itself, so I think it is reasonable to open a bug at bugs.gentoo.org. Be sure to include examples of why you think the change(s) should be made.
redblade7
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reported the definitions issue to upstream and it has been fixed.

I am replying to the maintainer's email, giving this thread and noting knightbrd.

More info he (Shlomi Fish) gave me on the status of the project: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/4dakel/ann_resumed_maintenance_of_linuxs_fortunemod_a/
redblade7
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When asked about knghtbrd, Shlomi told me "pull-reqs are welcome" which I assume means that he isn't interested in combing through it. (I love fortunes, so I just might do a pull request :)

So the "definitions" issue was fixed by upstream, but I will take the "knghtbrd" issue to Gentoo Bugzilla when I have the chance.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If upstream is the location where "offensive" is defined, then gentoo devs will unlikely be able to do much about it.

I interpret any "pull requests welcome" to mean "be the change you want to see in the world."
redblade7
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
If upstream is the location where "offensive" is defined, then gentoo devs will unlikely be able to do much about it.

I'd think that now with the fortune in "definitions" moved by upstream, Gentoo will eventually pick it up when fortune-mod is next updated, no? Or is it such a niche package that it's generally left alone and Gentoo works on what they already have themselves?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing that Gentoo devs would incorporate upstream changes. But the changes have to exist first, and since upstream said "it would be helpful if you provided the changes," it doesn't sound like it is going to be addressed "quickly" by upstream.
redblade7
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
I'm guessing that Gentoo devs would incorporate upstream changes. But the changes have to exist first, and since upstream said "it would be helpful if you provided the changes," it doesn't sound like it is going to be addressed "quickly" by upstream.

This is the Github commit of the "definitions" fix, which upstream did accept: https://github.com/shlomif/fortune-mod/commit/3bb04db1fbaf18f6a4072bdd75e1b374be70414d

I'll eventually, probably tomorrow, file with Bugzilla on both updating the package with upstream's "definitions" fix and my suggestion to Gentoo about "knghtbrd" which upstream rejected, but right now I have a nasty cold and not much sleep :(
redblade7
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay.

I don't think Gentoo should go against the decisions of upstream fortune-mod. Upstream believed the lone definitions fortune should not have been there (and moved it) but doesn't care about knightbrd. So we should instead wait for the next version of fortune-mod to be released, in accordance with the developer's wishes, rather than issue unofficial patches which would only make things unnecessarily complex. I will not be filing a bug with Gentoo for this reason.
redblade7
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update as I've logged in for the first time in a while, I wound up using the Ubuntu sources/patches for fortune-mod and it's more to my liking. Thank you!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: