Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How can Boost stacktrace libbacktrace support be added?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ekigwana
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: How do I install libbacktrace which comes with GCC Reply with quote

I have tried all the flags but can't seem to end up with a libbacktrace. Does the library archive get combined into another one?
I am trying to integrate boost stacktrace into my code but can't get it to print like in the examples.
The example in question is here: terminate_handler.cpp
I am compiling the example as such:
Code:
g++ -ggdb3 -DBOOST_STACKTRACE_DYN_LINK -DBOOST_STACKTRACE_USE_BACKTRACE -o terminate_handler terminate_handler.cpp -ldl -lboost_stacktrace_backtrace -lbacktrace

It seems libboost_stacktrace_backtrace is also missing because libbacktrace is missing.
ekigwana
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: How can Boost stacktrace libbacktrace support be added? Reply with quote

Boost has support for libbacktrace but getting them both installed in a bit tricky.
For libbacktrace:
Code:

git clone https://github.com/ianlancetaylor/libbacktrace.git
cd libbacktrace && ./configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib64 --includedir=/usr/include/backtrace && make install

Note that if libdir for backtrace is /usr/include, compiling boost after the fact fails.

For boost: Usual portage method.

Test code: test.cpp
Code:

#include <iostream>
#include <boost/stacktrace.hpp>

void bar(int)
{
        // ... somewhere inside the `bar(int)` function that is called recursively:
        std::cout << boost::stacktrace::stacktrace();
}

int main()
{
        bar(1);

return 0;
}

To build and run test:
Code:

g++ -ggdb3 -o test test.cpp -I /usr/include/backtrace -ldl -lbacktrace -DBOOST_STACKTRACE_USE_BACKTRACE && ./test

For more examples see boost stacktrace getting started and https://github.com/boostorg/stacktrace/tree/develop/example

Sample output is:
Code:

0# bar(int) at /home/user/test/test.cpp:7
 1# main at /home/user/test/test.cpp:14
 2# 0x00007FB1A9CF2F0A in /lib64/libc.so.6
 3# 0x00005565733C123A in ./test

This allows a developer to save stack traces for exceptions and signals etc without the user having to run gdb. So you can save the core and stack trace for issues that never show up under GDB.
Hu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: How can Boost stacktrace libbacktrace support be added? Reply with quote

ekigwana wrote:
Code:
cd libbacktrace && ./configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib64 --includedir=/usr/include/backtrace && make install
Are you sure about those instructions? That make install will fail if the user is not root. If the user is root, he should not run make install at all, as that would copy files into /usr, which will likely cause file collisions later.
ekigwana
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: How can Boost stacktrace libbacktrace support be added? Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
ekigwana wrote:
Code:
Are you sure about those instructions? That make install will fail if the user is not root. If the user is root, he should not run make install at all, as that would copy files into /usr, which will likely cause file collisions later.

As the title states I am asking how support can be added. I have never contributed an ebuild to Gentoo and it'd be convenient to also add a use flag to boost to pull in the libbacktrace package as well. When building boost, the configuration clearly shows that support for libbacktrace is included but ultimately I think it should be disabled since no package provides that capability. Now adding a libbacktrace ebuild that could get pulled in solves that issue.
Hu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. You posted a line that, if run, goes exactly against the advice we give people over and over and over again, yet new users continue to post that advice. Installing packages system-wide, and especially installing them into /usr, without the package manager is a major cause of later problems. Eliminating that habit early is good for everyone.

To your immediate problem:
ekigwana wrote:
It seems libboost_stacktrace_backtrace is also missing because libbacktrace is missing.
Please explain this statement.
ekigwana wrote:
Note that if libdir for backtrace is /usr/include, compiling boost after the fact fails.
Shouldn't libdir point to a library directory (as shown in your instructions), not an include directory (as stated in your quoted fragment)? In what way does Boost fail?
ekigwana wrote:
When building boost, the configuration clearly shows that support for libbacktrace is included but ultimately I think it should be disabled since no package provides that capability.
A USE flag could be useful, but if Boost can be built with this support, there is no reason to disable it just because no Gentoo packages require it. Gentoo users may wish to build an unpackaged or out-of-tree package program that can use this functionality.
moodboom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:15 am    Post subject: So what is the solution to missing libbacktrace? Reply with quote

All pedantic philosophizing aside how can we get this going? This is important to me and I wonder what the best approach is to get an "official" libbacktrack.. tia....
moodboom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Is a /usr/local install of libbacktrace a Good Idea? Reply with quote

Is a /usr/local install of libbacktrace a Good Idea?

Something like...

Code:
cd libbacktrace && ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --libdir=/usr/local/lib64 --includedir=/usr/local/include/backtrace && make install
moodboom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a workaround. Boost has two methods of getting backtraces. One uses libbacktrace, and the other uses the addr2line cmd, which is (probably) already in /usr/bin.

Code:
#define BOOST_STACKTRACE_USE_ADDR2LINE
#include <boost/stacktrace.hpp>
std::cout << boost::stacktrace::stacktrace();

And away we go.
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the instructions posted, it looks like a separate ebuild for it should be quite simple. The main issue is the report that Boost does not react well to preinstalling this separate package. This needs to be investigated and fixed.

An install to /usr/local is fine for spot testing, but the package ought to be wrapped in an ebuild for long term maintenance.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: