Kodi - Separate User?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beetle B.
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Kodi - Separate User? Reply with quote

Hi,

Looking at the Kodi guide on the wiki (https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kodi), it suggests creating a kodi user. I assume this is for security purposes as people tend to install third party plugins and they have access to all the user's files.

However, I have no idea how to start/interact with kodi. I ran the init script to "start" it, but how do I add media to the library, install plugins, etc? I know as a regular user I can type "kodi" and it will launch, but as myself, which I'm guessing is insecure.

I think the guide (and me) could use more information on running kodi on my desktop. Note that this is not a dedicated media desktop. I'll be logged in to a desktop environment as myself.

Thanks!

Please update the table of equivalents.
A Firefox guide.
Ralphred
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are just looking to run it on your desktop, get rid any inittab modifications, these are for dedicated media machines with kodi running as the primary UI.
The init script is starting kodi in it's own X environment too, so not suitable for your desktop as is either. If you change the init script line to
Code:
start-stop-daemon --start -u ${KODI_USER:-kodi} --background --pidfile /var/run/kodi.pid --make-pidfile --exec /usr/bin/xinit -- /usr/bin/kodi-standalone ${KODI_OPTS} -- :1
it will start kodi in tty8 without affecting your desktop (as the kodi user).

Personally, I just open a terminal and
Code:
$ su kodi
[enter kodi user password]
$ kodi
and open it over my desktop as the kodi user.

As far as interacting on a desktop, mouse and keyboard is fine, all config (media sources, add-ons etc) to do with the program itself is handled within kodi.
I wouldn't say it's the most intuitive UI to set-up, but really simple once it is.
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you are right to suggest something is missing here. Adding user kodi should likely also meanto add a separate media group to manage the permissions to various filesystem locations such as files or folders. Suggest something to the authors of the wiki and see what they say.

Meanwhile, do you receive a particular error message from the instance running kodi? And what is its main purpose or use for is it to be playing local files, streaming tv or video from apps online, etc.?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: