Can't get my sound cards working [Solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zhangyida
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Can't get my sound cards working [Solved] Reply with quote

I've got two sound cards, one is Intel AC'97 on-board card, (my motherboard is ASUS p4P 800 SE) the other one is Dell OEM Sound Blaster Live! (EMU10K1X).
I'm installing Gentoo Linux 13.0 with profile 13.0/desktop. Kernel used was 4.4.108, x86.
First, I got AC97 card all configurations correct, alsasound started with the device listed, dmesg shows the card name and number, aplayer -L returned the devices with correct information, alsamixer can choose the card and unmuting every channel was done, but speaker-test does not give any sound. I boot the computer using Knoppix with 2.6 kernel and there's still no sound.
So, I gave up on the AC97 card. I disabled it in the BIOS and added this EMU10K1X into my desktop computer.
Still the same thing. Everything else works fine, but speaker-test never produce any sound. This time, I boot the computer using Knoppix with 2.6 kernel and the speaker-test works! I could also use "aplayer" to play PCM WAV file. But after comparing the modules loaded in Knoppix and Gentoo, the modules loaded that matters are the same, except that Gentoo loads one more snd-pcm module.
My primary goal is to make the EMU10K1X work, and I know this is possible, since I've got it work by booting to Knoppix.
What I've chosen in the kernel was to enable the "Device Drivers->Sound card support->Advanced Linux Sound Architecture->PCI sound devices->Emu10k1X (Dell OEM Version)" as "Module". I also choose to mark all HD-Adio options as "modules".
I've emerged media-libs/alsa-lib, media-plugins/alsa-plugins, media-sound/alsa-utils and media-libs/alsa-oss. All compiled correctly, well, with some warnings, but I don't think that matters.
As I said, lspci, dmesg, lsmod, "alsasound start", aplay -L, alsamixer all gave the correct information. Yet the "speaker-test -t wav -c 2" just does not give any sound.
And if it's still possible to make the AC97 card working, I'll do that, as well.

I think I've done everything I could think of. I'm not a experienced Gentoo practitioner yet, so I need someone to help me in this. Thanks a lot in advance.

Last edited by zhangyida on Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:20 am; edited 1 time in total
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zhangyida,

Both those cards can word with the 44.1kHz sample rate used by CD-DA or the 48kHz sample rate used by digital audio.
However, they can't do both at the same time. If you ask for both, digital audio wins.
Be sure the digital outputs, that's everything with SPDI/F or IEC in its name, is muted.

As you don't have an Intel HDA sound card, you don't need the HDA codecs.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
zhangyida
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:21 am    Post subject: Thanks for the reply Reply with quote

Hi NeddySeagoon,

Thanks for the reply. If both can work, I'm happy to know that.
Can you help me to get the EMU10K1X work first? Do you think that my HD-Audio selection is having problems?
Here is my settings in the ""Device Drivers->Sound card support->Advanced Linux Sound Architecture->HD-Audio" menu selection in the kernel source:

Code:
<M> HD Audio PCI
[*] Build hwdep interface for HD-audio driver
-*- Allow dynamic codec reconfiguration
[*] Support Digital beep via input layer
(1)     Digital beep registration mod (0=off, 1=on) (NEW)
[*] Support initialization patch loading for HD-audio
< > Build Realtek HD-audio codec support
< > Build Analog Device HD-audio codec support
<M> Build IDT/Sigmatel HD-audio codec support
< > Build VIA HD-audio codec support
< > Buid HDMI/DisplayPort HD-audio codec support
< > Build Cirrus Logic codec support
< > Build Conexant HD-audio codec support
< > Build Creative CA0110-IBG codec support
< > Build Creative CA0132 codec support
< > Build C-Media HD-audio codec support
< > Build Silicon Labs 3054 HD-modem codec support
-M- Enable generic HD-audio codec parser
(0) Default time-out for HD-audio power-save mode

Please let me know. Thanks.

Regards,
Yida Zhang

[Moderator edit: added [code] tags to preserve output layout. -Hu]
zhangyida
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:30 am    Post subject: EMU10K1X Works now Reply with quote

Hi NeddySeagoon,

I think I didn't get your idea in my last post. I started alsamixer and muted the "Analog/Digital Output Jack", and you know what? It works now!
Thank you very much helping me out of this problem. It took me 3 days struggling with it. Thanks a lot.
Let me try the AC97 card with the same trick. I'll let you know if I succeeded or not. Thanks, again.

Regards,
Yida Zhang
zhangyida
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:19 am    Post subject: Problem Solved Reply with quote

Hi NeddySeagoon,

I tried the same operation for the AC97 card and unfortunately, it still did not give any out put. I guess it's just hardware failure and no one can do anything about it. I'm actually happy with one sound card.
Your explanation solved my problem. Thank you.

Regards,
Yida Zhang
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zhangyida,

When you have two sound cards, it gets a little trickier.

The kernel will use the first discovered sound card as the default sound card.
All sound output will be sent there unless you tell the sound application to use the other sound card.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: