Plasma installation prerequisites
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raindev
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject: Plasma installation prerequisites Reply with quote

The wiki explains in great details what needs to be done before installing Plasma. What is not so clear is the order those things needs to be done. Below is how I can imaging the process could look like:

• change profile to desktop/plasma
  • emerge --update --deep --newuse to accommodate USE flags changes in the installed packages
  • install (and configure) the dependencies (D-bus, polkit, udisks, ConsoleKit, Xorg) as --oneshot to not add them to @world
  • proceed with the installation of Plasma

Does it sound right or there's something I've missed? Or am I overcomplicating the issue and it doesn't really matter: e.g. switching the profile, emerging Plasma and than configuring everything later is totally fine?

Thanks in advance for any help. I feel like I'm confused about something that's really is not that complicated after all. I'll be happy to update the wiki page with a high level overview of the process when I'll grok it myself.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Plasma installation prerequisites Reply with quote

In general, just read from top to bottom, so it seems you are doing it right.

raindev wrote:

• change profile to desktop/plasma

The rebuild after such a major change is implied/recommended.

raindev wrote:

• install (and configure) the dependencies (D-bus, polkit, udisks, ConsoleKit, Xorg) as --oneshot to not add them to @world

^ each of those comes with a separate wiki, so be sure to click the provided links for configuration.

Last edited by asturm on Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raindev,

Gentoo works best when you build on what you have proven to work.

Code:
change profile to desktop/plasma
emerge --update --deep --newuse to accommodate USE flags changes in the installed packages
is a good start.

That rebuilds your install to take account of your new profile. Before that rebuild, you could take the opportunity to update USE in make.conf.
That's entirely optional. Portage will work out whats needed as things change.

Code:
install (and configure) the dependencies (D-bus, polkit, udisks, ConsoleKit, Xorg) as --oneshot to not add them to @world

Things that depend on D-bus, polkit, udisks and ConsoleKit will pull them in as dependencies.

x11-base/xorg-server should be in your world file when its installed. The reasoning is a bit obscure but here it is.
Xorg is whats called 'network transparent'. You can run GUI applications on a remote system and display the output on your local console.
Only the system doing the display work needs x11-base/xorg-server. Its not an error to install Plasma but not x11-base/xorg-server
an long as you don't want to display the output on that system. You need to explicitly install xorg-server if you want to keep it.

Install, configure and test x11-base/xorg-server before you move onto plasma.
If Xorg works, when plasma doesn't, you know its a plasma issue.

To test x11-base/xorg-server,
Code:
emerge -1 xclock xterm twm
and run startx.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
raindev
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Plasma installation prerequisites Reply with quote

asturm, NeddySeagoon,

Thanks for all the explanations. I've finished installing Plasma successfully today. Here are the higher level steps I took:

• took a backup
  • changed profile
  • (good time to change USE flags to not rebuild thins later which I didn't do)
  • rebuilt the world (some Plasma dependencies got pulled in already: D-Bus, polkit, mesa, ConsoleKit)
  • configured/enabled/checked kernel configuration for D-Bus, polkit and ConsoleKit accordingly to the wiki
  • prepared for Xorg installation: kernel configuration, VIDEO_CARDS and INPUT_DEVICES variables accordingly to the Xorg/Guide.
  • rebuild the world with --changed-use to adjust to the changes introduced by VIDEO_CARDS and INPUT_DEVICES (could have been done right after changing the profile)
  • emerged xorg-server, twm, xterm
  • verified that Xorg works; unmerged twm and xterm
  • emerged plasma-meta
  • configured (or rather verified configuration) udisks
  • verified that Plasma works without a display manager
  • configured SDDM and verified that it starts Plasma properly
  • backup time

There's still stuff to do (like to configure the sound) but the base Plasma installation is ready. It's been lots of compiling but even more reading :D
Do you think such a list with an overview of the installation process (edited for brevtiy and to be less specific) would be useful to have on the Plasma wiki page?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raindev,

I'll leave your question to the plasma supporters.

raindev wrote:
... unmerged twm and xterm

What about the things that they pulled in that nothing else uses?

You don't mention
Code:
emerge --depclean --pretend
to get a list of packages that you have installed that are not used by anything.
You can change that command to remove them too but do inspect the list to see what portage says you don't need.
There may be something you are rather fond of and want to keep around, or even something essential to normal system operation.

Did you read and act on your News items?

What about updating your config files?

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
raindev
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Plasma installation prerequisites Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon,

The list contains not specific steps I've followed but rather important checkpoints. In fact I've changed USE flags a few times in the process, rebuilt affected packages, cleaned up unused packages (with --depclean) and so on. Yes, I've read the news and the package post installation summaries.

NeddySeagoon wrote:
What about updating your config files?

If you mean merging updated configuration files (e.g. with env-update) I did that too when requested by Portage.

All these details (despite being important) are not specific to Plasma so I didn't mention them in the list.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raindev,

That's fine. I just wanted to be sure you are on the straight an narrow,.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
raindev
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, NeddySeagoon. I'm the kind of person who likes to read manuals and instructions :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: