Nvidia P4000 Discrete Mode Hangs on Kernel Load
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kenji_Nakajima
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Nvidia P4000 Discrete Mode Hangs on Kernel Load Reply with quote

Hello,

I've just got P71 from Lenovo, and installing Gentoo on M.2 SSD. The BIOS allows me to disable Intel Graphic (i.e., avoid 'hybrid' mode) and use Nvidia P4000 exclusively. However, I am unable to figure out how to setup kernel so that it will boot with 'discrete' mode. When I start Gentoo, it shows it is loading the kernel and initramfs but that's where my laptop hangs. If I press ctrl+alt+delete, it will reboot so it seems like it is not kernel panic or lock up of any sort. I followed the wiki for Nvidia setup to the letter, but I just can't get to login console and it seems like it isn't booting anything...

This is strange as I can boot systemrescue CD in 'discrete' mode and it detects and correctly loads Nvidia drivers.

I tried to use 'genkernel all' but it has problem with M.2 drive and complains it is not able to find the root device (/dev/nvme0n1p2), which means I have to figure out how to set it up with 'make menuconfig' and do it manually.

Any hint as to what in the world I am doing wrong? I tried selecting opensource driver in kernel, tried Nvidia frame buffer, but it all failed.

Any help would be deeply appreciated :-)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: