View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raist_BlackRobe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: x264 in avidemux Reply with quote

Hi.

Since an update last month, I cannot find the x264 option in the Video Output panel in Avidemux 2.6.20.

I have set the correct USE option for the avidemux-plugin package, but if I go to Help/Plugins/Video Encoder tab, the x264 plugin doesn't appear.

I haven't found any mention of a bug about it. Can anyone help me?
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you perhaps update Avidemux in the last round of updates? Or if not, what else was updated, maybe you can find another package that interfered with the functioning for that plugin. I would assume that one of the updates was to the x264 plugin, so could you please include for each of the obvious ones a emerge -pv or emerge --info on the system as well.

Then maybe it will be a matter of comparing, to another setup of someone else with working or using this feature in the latest package. When did you last update avidemux? I do not have that package installed so that is why I'm asking.
C5ace
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: x264 in avidemux Reply with quote

Raist_BlackRobe wrote:
Hi.

Since an update last month, I cannot find the x264 option in the Video Output panel in Avidemux 2.6.20.

I have set the correct USE option for the avidemux-plugin package, but if I go to Help/Plugins/Video Encoder tab, the x264 plugin doesn't appear.

I haven't found any mention of a bug about it. Can anyone help me?

I use these USE flags:
Code:

media-libs/avidemux-plugins qt5 aften amr dcaenc fdk lame twolame x265
media-video/avidemux qt5

Keywords:
Code:

# required by media-video/avidemux-9999::gentoo
# required by =media-video/avidemux-9999 (argument)
=media-libs/avidemux-plugins-9999 **

=media-video/avidemux-9999 **

# required by media-libs/avidemux-plugins-9999::gentoo
=media-libs/avidemux-core-9999 **

# required by media-libs/avidemux-plugins-9999::gentoo[dcaenc]
# required by @selected
# required by @world (argument)
=media-sound/dcaenc-2-r1 ~amd64
Raist_BlackRobe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIsLinuxIsSogood wrote:
Did you perhaps update Avidemux in the last round of updates? Or if not, what else was updated, maybe you can find another package that interfered with the functioning for that plugin. I would assume that one of the updates was to the x264 plugin, so could you please include for each of the obvious ones a emerge -pv or emerge --info on the system as well.

Then maybe it will be a matter of comparing, to another setup of someone else with working or using this feature in the latest package. When did you last update avidemux? I do not have that package installed so that is why I'm asking.

It was when avidemux 2.6.8 got updated to 2.6.20.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

No x264 enabled?
Raist_BlackRobe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have more info.

I have tried running avidemux from the command line, and when it's trying to load the x264 decoder, it posts:

Code:
[videoEncoder6]Name :x264 ApiVersion :7 Description :x264 based mpeg4 AVC Encoder (c) 2010 Mean/Gruntster
/usr/lib64/ADM_plugins6//videoEncoders/libADM_ve_x264_other.so:WrongUI

The other codecs load correctly, except for x265, that also says "WrongUI" at the console.

It seems the problem was caused when the qt4 USE flag was dropped and those plugins are not working well with qt5 (I have the qt5 USE variable enabled, btw).
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is 2.7 considered stable. All plugins work fine with qt5. You may want to request version bump.
C5ace
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:
Code:

No x264 enabled?

x264 is automatically enabled

Code:

# emerge -vp media-libs/avidemux-core media-libs/avidemux-plugins media-video/avidemux

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   *] media-libs/avidemux-core-9999:2.6::gentoo  USE="nls sdl xv -debug -nvenc (-system-ffmpeg) -vaapi -vdpau" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R   *] media-video/avidemux-9999:2.6::gentoo  USE="nls opengl qt5 sdl xv -debug -nvenc -vaapi -vdpau" LINGUAS="-ca -cs -de -el -es -fr -it -ja -pt_BR -ru -sr -sr@latin -tr" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R   *] media-libs/avidemux-plugins-9999:2.6::gentoo  USE="a52 aac aften alsa amr dcaenc dts fdk lame opengl qt5 truetype twolame vorbis x264 x265 xv xvid -debug -fontconfig -fribidi -jack -libsamplerate -nvenc -opus -oss -pulseaudio -vdpau -vpx" CPU_FLAGS_X86="mmx" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7" 0 KiB

Total: 3 packages (3 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 0 KiB
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It seems the problem was caused when the qt4 USE flag was dropped and those plugins are not working well with qt5

This is one of the reasons I gave up on using the Qt desktop because of this terrible problem with versions all just for the User interface, seems sort of pointless doesn't?

Quote:
(I have the qt5 USE variable enabled, btw)

Where do you have the qt5 use enabled in make.conf so if that is your global use flag, and have you considered doing something like this...

Set your global use flags to qt5 -qt4, and then rebuild everything (emerge -e @world) Then if you have problems at this point it would be surprising. You may want to do it actually in a better order like not all at one shot, so you can track system rebuild progress better that way, and do emerge -e @system, then emerge -e @world or something similar to that.

I have never actually tried that, but it seems like it could be the solution to your issue.
Raist_BlackRobe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have found the problem looking at the source code:

The plugins that aren't working for me (x264 and x265) don't have qt5 support. Looking at the source code, both of them have a subfolder named "qt4", and they are the only ones that have it.

As the qt4 USE flag has been dropped (and therefore deactivated in the ebuild), those plugins are compiled without UI support because there isn't code for a qt5 UI, just for a qt4 one. Avidemux 2.7.0 has the same problem.

Maybe someone with more knowlegde than me could tell me if it's doable using the qt4 UI with a qt5 system: maybe it's just a matter of modifying a config file, maybe requires new code. I really don't know :oops:
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried setting the version for qt using qtchooser, but first check to see if qt4 is installed (I think it would have to be in slot 4 or 1 or something else of the package main one for qt frameworks etc.)?

Thats odd the qt5 cant handle qt4 set of source code dont you think. Is this an issue with the software developers at avidemux? I have not yet looked to see what the general feeling is about qt choices and avidemux.

Try qtchooser, just for while you go ahead and build the software, then perhaps if you are willing to drop qt altogether perhaps usually there is another ui alternative for some programs although not all have it.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://github.com/mean00/avidemux2.git
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From having a look at it, I would say this is easily avoided by using one of the other interfaces available like gtk, or else a more basic one that does not require the qt4 environment to be build.

Of course there is probably a way that involves a lot more work that would sync the working of two versions of qt but if that is what OP is looking for, then it appears he is going to be on his own to start working that solution out. I am going to try downloading the software so I can help later again by commenting on my own emerge settings and functionality at a later time.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2.7 version in git repo builds and runs fine with qt5.
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so would that mean that the OP's issue is a problem at the level of the ebuild in the portage tree, and it having not the latest stable version of that package, is that correct jaglover?

EDIT: Also, file in source code does refer to "cosmetic" build changes for qt4 that is actually qt5. I think this may warrant building it out of the repository, from source due to the uniqueness of the situation that could be involved in this piece of software.
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please disregard this post, it was before i took the steps to read the files in the root directory of the source code that jaglover linked to.

Curious if you built the package as a deb/rpm, or is there another way...since looks like that is only two options to go with here. In general, which one does the ebuild use in its installation of the package.

Last edited by LIsLinuxIsSogood on Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C5ace, I'm sure if you were to wait until the package maintainers can look and hopefully change the most stable to the higher version that would probably solve all your concerns.

Otherwise, it could be a lot of compiling from source, which probably wasn't what you were signing up for here.

Just another thought, have you thought to downgrade?
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
bash bootStrap.bash --prefix=/usr/local

It will not build any packages, make sure you are happy with configure results, keep an eye on them. Just install by hand into /usr/local afterwards. Indeed, having an ebuild would be the Gentoo way.
C5ace
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIsLinuxIsSogood wrote:
C5ace, I'm sure if you were to wait until the package maintainers can look and hopefully change the most stable to the higher version that would probably solve all your concerns.

Otherwise, it could be a lot of compiling from source, which probably wasn't what you were signing up for here.

Just another thought, have you thought to downgrade?

LIsLinuxIsSogood: media-video/avidemux-9999 is Avidemux version 2.7.0. This is according to http://www.avidemux.org is as of 2017-08-15 the latest stable version and works perfect for me without problems on 2 of my Gentoo Xfce systems.

Compiling is no worries. Have been compiling since when I started about 1989 with Borland Turbo C developing and coding custom applications for a living until I switched from to Linux using Anjuta and CodeBlocks/WinGW IDE's.
Raist_BlackRobe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:
Code:
bash bootStrap.bash --prefix=/usr/local

It will not build any packages, make sure you are happy with configure results, keep an eye on them. Just install by hand into /usr/local afterwards. Indeed, having an ebuild would be the Gentoo way.

I was able to compile it outside Portage thanks to your help.

However, when I tried to modify the source code to force it to compile the UI without qt4 enabled, it failed. As I said, it is required someone with more knowledge about the proccess that I possess right now, sorry :(

C5ace: if you are using XFCE, you are probably using the GTK version of the UI. so it should be fine. My problem is that I run a GTK-free system. With this bug, there is no UI for qt5 for the x264 and x265 plugins, and the qt4 UI is disabled since the qt4 USE flag dropout, so the plugins compile fine, but with no UI.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no qt4 in my system, it builds and runs fine with qt5, no modification of source code needed. I'm not sure if I understand your problem. I haven't tried lately, but I think they dropped GTK support. So it is qt5 or command line only.
C5ace
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raist_BlackRobe:
Quote:
C5ace: if you are using XFCE, you are probably using the GTK version of the UI. so it should be fine. My problem is that I run a GTK-free system. With this bug, there is no UI for qt5 for the x264 and x265 plugins, and the qt4 UI is disabled since the qt4 USE flag dropout, so the plugins compile fine, but with no UI.

I use Xfce with GTK2, GTK3, QT4 and QT5 applications installed. If the application, such as Firefox and Libreoffice gives the choice of GTK2, I set the GTK2 USE flag. With Avidemux it's only QT5. My preference (default) is GTK2. Looks best on Xfce.

Avidemux 9999 (2.7.0) and dependencies only use QT5. No more QT4 support.

Code:

make.conf:
USE="-kde -gnome -qt5 -ipv6 -bluetooth -systemd -multilib -gtk3 gtk2

### keywords ###
etc/portage/package.keywords/avidemux:
=media-libs/avidemux-plugins-9999 **

=media-video/avidemux-9999 **

# required by media-libs/avidemux-plugins-9999::gentoo
=media-libs/avidemux-core-9999 **

# required by media-libs/avidemux-plugins-9999::gentoo[dcaenc]
# required by @selected
# required by @world (argument)
=media-sound/dcaenc-2-r1 ~amd64

### USE flags ###
/etc/portage/package.use/use:
dev-util/cmake -qt4 -qt5
app-text/poppler -qt4 -qt5
sys-process/cronie -anacron
gnome-base/gvfs -http
sys-libs/glibc -multilib
app-admin/sudo -sendmail
x11-base/xorg-server udev
xfce-base/thunar gvfs xfce_plugins_trash
dev-libs/beecrypt cxx threads

/etc/portage/package.use/avidemux:
media-libs/avidemux-plugins aften amr dcaenc fdk lame twolame x265
media-libs/avidemux-plugins qt5
media-video/avidemux qt5

What Desktop do you use?

Install app-portage/porthole. This makes it very easy to track down out problems without using multiple CL utilities.
Raist_BlackRobe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:
I have no qt4 in my system, it builds and runs fine with qt5, no modification of source code needed. I'm not sure if I understand your problem. I haven't tried lately, but I think they dropped GTK support. So it is qt5 or command line only.

I think this image sums it all well:

https://postimg.org/image/oysex4zkt/

As you can see, neither x264 or x265 are available in the dropbox.

The avidemux-plugins package has compiled fine, but those 2 plugins haven't been compiled with UI support, because I don't use GTK and their only other UI is qt4, that has been dropped in the ebuild.

As an example, I post the CMakeList.txt for the x265 plugin:

Code:

INCLUDE(ve_plugin)
INCLUDE(ve_settings_plugin)

SET(x265_SRCS
        ADM_x265.cpp
        ADM_x265Plugin.cpp
        ADM_x265Setup.cpp
        x265_settings_json.cpp
)
include(admCheckX265)
checkX265()
IF(USE_X265)
  MESSAGE(STATUS "x265 plugin activated.")
  INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES(${X265_INCLUDE_DIR})

#-----------------------QT4 VERSION---------------------
  INCLUDE(ve_plugin_qt4)
  if(DO_QT4)
    SET(ADM_ve_x265_QT4_SRCS    qt4/Q_x265.cpp)
    SET(ADM_ve_x265_QT4_Headers qt4/Q_x265.h)
    SET(ADM_ve_x265_QT4_UI      qt4/x265ConfigDialog)
    ADD_VIDEO_ENCODER_QT4(ADM_ve_x265_${QT_LIBRARY_EXTENSION}   ${ADM_ve_x265_QT4_SRCS} ${ADM_ve_x265_QT4_Headers} ${ADM_ve_x265_QT4_UI} ${x265_SRCS})
    TARGET_LINK_LIBRARIES(ADM_ve_x265_${QT_LIBRARY_EXTENSION} "${X265_LIBRARY_DIR}")
    TARGET_LINK_LIBRARIES(ADM_ve_x265_${QT_LIBRARY_EXTENSION} ADM_core6)
    INIT_VIDEO_ENCODER(ADM_ve_x265_${QT_LIBRARY_EXTENSION})
    INSTALL_VIDEO_ENCODER_QT4(ADM_ve_x265_${QT_LIBRARY_EXTENSION})
  endif(DO_QT4)
  #-----------------------/QT4 VERSION---------------------
  #-----------------------GTK or CLI VERSION---------------------
  if(DO_COMMON)
    ADD_VIDEO_ENCODER(ADM_ve_x265_other   ADM_x265_noui.cpp ${x265_SRCS})
    ADD_TARGET_CFLAGS(ADM_ve_x265_other "-DADM_UI_TYPE_BUILD=1") # CLI!
    TARGET_LINK_LIBRARIES(ADM_ve_x265_other "${X265_LIBRARY_DIR}")
    TARGET_LINK_LIBRARIES(ADM_ve_x265_other ADM_core6)
    INIT_VIDEO_ENCODER(ADM_ve_x265_other)
    INSTALL_VIDEO_ENCODER(ADM_ve_x265_other)
  endif(DO_COMMON)
  # ------------- PRESET -----------
  if(DO_SETTINGS)
    FILE(GLOB json_files ${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/preset/*.json)
    message(STATUS "Presets found : ${json_files}")
    INSTALL_VIDEO_ENCODER_SETTINGS(x265 VERSION 3 FILES ${json_files})
  endif(DO_SETTINGS)
ELSE(USE_X265)
  MESSAGE(STATUS "x265 disabled.")
ENDIF(USE_X265)

The "DO_QT4" part only is not done because the ebuild has qt4 disabled and it is setting the -DPLUGIN_UI argument to "COMMON".
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why I hadn't thought of this since this software is multiplatform, but to look at the forum for the site with users of different kinds and it turned this up:

http://avidemux.org/smif/index.php?topic=17759.0

FROM THE POST HERE IT APPEARS THAT THE FUNCTIONALITY SHOULD WORK REGARDLESS OF THE MESSAGE DISPLAY THAT IS IF IT WORKS IT SHOULD WORK.

Has the OP mentioned more than just the appearance of it in the drop-down menu, such as what other test-run can you be taking the functionality on so we will know for sure. After all, developers are not generally required to (if they don't want to) to post every single user interface change to the notes or online and if they for some reason removed that from the menu is that possible?

Or else maybe they didn't, but it could still be partially working. I am curious what else has been attempted in terms of testing the x264 or x265 stream handling thus far. Then if you seriously can't get the playback of a stream, from all possible avenues (GUI, CLI, and other interfaces) then it's time to start looking for those error messages. Just in case you want to file a bug, or report a feature missing or whatever.
Raist_BlackRobe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIsLinuxIsSogood wrote:
I don't know why I hadn't thought of this since this software is multiplatform, but to look at the forum for the site with users of different kinds and it turned this up:

http://avidemux.org/smif/index.php?topic=17759.0

FROM THE POST HERE IT APPEARS THAT THE FUNCTIONALITY SHOULD WORK REGARDLESS OF THE MESSAGE DISPLAY THAT IS IF IT WORKS IT SHOULD WORK.

Has the OP mentioned more than just the appearance of it in the drop-down menu, such as what other test-run can you be taking the functionality on so we will know for sure. After all, developers are not generally required to (if they don't want to) to post every single user interface change to the notes or online and if they for some reason removed that from the menu is that possible?

Or else maybe they didn't, but it could still be partially working. I am curious what else has been attempted in terms of testing the x264 or x265 stream handling thus far. Then if you seriously can't get the playback of a stream, from all possible avenues (GUI, CLI, and other interfaces) then it's time to start looking for those error messages. Just in case you want to file a bug, or report a feature missing or whatever.

Before the dropout of the qt4 USE flag, I could choose the x264 encoding option. In fact, I've been using them for quite long time. Maybe the "Wrong UI" message doesn't mean anything, but I definitely think that something isn't working with the qt5 USE flag for those 2 plugins.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: