Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonathan183
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John R. Graham wrote:
Surely not. But you're still here; I'm still here, too. ... /boot should already be mounted and thus "genkernel --install" will work just fine

The current version of the handbook has in the genkernel section a note under editing /etc/fstab
Quote:
Further in the Gentoo installation, /etc/fstab will be configured again. The /boot setting is needed right now as the genkernel application reads in this configuration.

The handbook on January 1st 2008 did not ... which was around the time I raised the bug. I tried it at least twice before reporting the bug because initially I thought I had mis-typed something.

I joined linuxforums in October 2007 ... it was about another 3 years after the bug report before I joined the gentoo forums ... delay probably due in part to the initial interaction which was my point rather than a 10 year old bug ;)
berferd
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamakuzure wrote:
...you seem a bit spoiling for a fight...

Nope. Merely trying to show Mr. Asturm how the word "supposed" can be used in an accusatory way. I try not to argue from authority. I find practical demonstrations like this one a lot more convincing.

I only engaged him because of the delicious irony inherent in his finding negative bias everywhere whilst his own negative bias is so patently obvious.

Yamakuzure wrote:
Just dismissing something someone else has put effort in without further notice is pathetic.

Speaking of delicious irony, this is mostly my experience on bugs.gentoo.org. Spend some precious free time not only troubleshooting the problem, but writing it up complete with the proper TPS cover sheet, sometimes actually taking the time to come up with a proposed solution to get a reply, if you get a reply at all, that not only is not polite, but that gives you the distinct impression you're just annoying people and they wish you would go away.

I get paid good money to do this kind of thing in my day job. Why waste my time doing work for free that ultimately only annoys people?

But I did exaggerate. I did have some positive interactions on bugs.gentoo.org with Uberlord. He quit soon after, hopefully not because of me. I also had positive interactions with the fella that wanted me to become a proxy maintainer. Unfortunately, he wanted me to proxy maintain the packages in question because he was not going to work on them any longer.
berferd
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C5ace wrote:
"rubbers" meaning erasers (usually used for rubbing off misspelled words and pencil marks from writing paper).

Ding-ding-ding! Poor guy was looking for a pencil eraser and he almost got hauled up on charges in front of HR.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

berferd wrote:
I get paid good money to do this kind of thing in my day job. Why waste my time doing work for free that ultimately only annoys people?
++

There are so many "developers" who don't understand what professionalism means.

The idea used to be that they learn, before we send them out into the wider world.
So, yes, informality is okay; just so long as you're professional about the work, and the end-result.

Unfortunately, nowadays, it seems like more and more "developers" just parrot whatever they hear in their echo-chamber, without any critical thinking beyond looking down on users.

It would be funny, if it didn't leave them susceptible to bulshytt memes from the proprietary vendors, and they didn't then act on their dumb-ass thinking.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

berferd wrote:
I did have some positive interactions on bugs.gentoo.org with Uberlord.

And you better, article #1 in my UberLord's bible is "Do not annoy the boss!" ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: