Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Orange Pi Prime/Zero Plus 2 (Cortex A53 H5)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on ARM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempik
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Orange Pi Prime/Zero Plus 2 (Cortex A53 H5) Reply with quote

Hello, I ordered Orange Pi Prime with cpu H5 (Cortex A53). As I understand it, he x64 and ARMv8? The wiki says (https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Orange_Pi_PC/Quick_Start) install armv7a_hardfp, but ARMv7 for cpu H3. http://distfiles.gentoo.org/releases/arm/autobuilds/current-stage3-arm64/ its ARMv8 for my H5? Under what architecture should I put a stage for the best work of my Orange Pi Prime? And which CFLAGS should I use for H5?
sry for my english.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tempik,

Welcome to Gentoo.

The CPU on the Orange Pi Prime is a indeed 64 bit armv8a CPU.
Its also arm7a compatible.

Gentoo for armv8a (arm64) is experimental, so I advise against that for a first install.
armv7a_hardfp will be much easier.

Your CFLAGS depend on the version of gcc you intend to use and if you will use cross distcc to help the Orange Pi build packages.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
vastchen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cpu H5 (Cortex A53 H5) is same with raspberry3 Cortex-A53 ? mali 450 in /etc/portage/make.conf video_cards="Mali450" ?

cpu H5 (Cortex A53 H5) what different with A64 Quad-core Cortex-A53?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vastchen,

The mali graphics is a problem. Last time I looked at Mali, it required a binary only kernel kernel module.
That limits the kernel you can use to to those that are compatible with the binary module.
I believe that there is work in progress to provide an open source Mail driver but I have not been folloming progress.

If you don't care about the graphics, you get more kernel choice. Its likely, you will need out of tree kernel patches or even kernels provided by the vendor.

I don't know the detailed differences between those two processors.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
vastchen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
vastchen,

The mali graphics is a problem. Last time I looked at Mali, it required a binary only kernel kernel module.
That limits the kernel you can use to to those that are compatible with the binary module.
I believe that there is work in progress to provide an open source Mail driver but I have not been folloming progress.

If you don't care about the graphics, you get more kernel choice. Its likely, you will need out of tree kernel patches or even kernels provided by the vendor.

I don't know the detailed differences between those two processors.

Thanks for you answer I got it. because the mali i buy raspberry 3 i already have pi 3 but it alway work 4 hour will died i can't slow . so i buy a new one make in us the new one one work well.
chithanh
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Orange Pi Prime/Zero Plus 2 (Cortex A53 H5) Reply with quote

The Allwinner H5 in the Orange Pi Prime is basically the same as the H3 in the Orange Pi PC, with the Cortex-A7 (32-bit) cores swapped out for Cortex-A53 (64-bit).

You will get the most out of the hardware if you use a 64-bit kernel with armv8 userland. If you are ok with unaccelerated graphics, the framebuffer set up by uboot should work fine and will be used by the kernel.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on ARM All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: