Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://bugs.gentoo.org/596210
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenny_w,

Logical Volume Manager is another abstraction layer for block devices. It can do lots of useful things that are difficult with partitions.
The most obvious is that logical volumes can be resized. You would know if you were using it. Its not described in the handbook.

Headers are not separated out on Gentoo. You will have all the headers you need. There is one exception, sys-kernel/linux-headers.
Everything that needs kernel headers to build against uses the headers provided by sys-kernel/linux-headers except things like out of tree kernel modules, that build against a specific kernel.
These thing follow the /urs/src/linux symlink. You don't really need to know that until things build against the 'wrong' kernel. Check the /urs/src/linux symlink.

I had forgotten that ~/ was not in a users path. I run lspci with the full path when I need it as my normal user.

USE flags that correspond to CPU instruction set extensions have been moved in the main Gentoo repository.
Run app-portage/cpuid2cpuflags to discover what you should set.

I get
Code:
$ cpuid2cpuflags
CPU_FLAGS_X86: 3dnow 3dnowext mmx mmxext popcnt sse sse2 sse3 sse4a

So I would add
Code:
CPU_FLAGS_X86="3dnow 3dnowext mmx mmxext popcnt sse sse2 sse3 sse4a"
to make.conf.
Overlays may not have migrated yet. If you use overlays, add the flags to your USE too.
They are CPU specific, you need to discover your own settings.

There us no single 'right way' to set USE flags. Everything in make.conf or everything in package.use/ are both suboptimal.
I put things I want everywhere in make.conf and things I want only on one or two packages in package.use/.

Think about the dvd USE flag. That goes in make.conf because I want all my media players to play DVDs.
On the other hand, the static USE flag goes in package.use/ because I only want packages that go in the initrd statically linked.
Global static linking is a very bad thing.
You need to think about where individual USE flag settings go. ufed can help.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
kenny_w
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

build-essential is a package of stuff, it includes GCC and some other tools.

I read on this wiki that the headers are a separate package so I'm kinda confused.
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Linux-headers

I'm 27 packages away from having LXDE compiled, I hope getting the GUI to work won't be too difficult, and I really hope none of those packages fail lol.
Is there anything I can do to make the compiling go faster? I have "-j3" because its just an intel atom N270 1.6GHz Dual-Core. Could I get away with maybe making it -j4 do you think?
I've made it -march=native instead of -march=i686 already

PS I just wrote this before seeing Neddy's comment, woops, I'll reply to that all in a moment
kenny_w
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
kenny_w,

I get
Code:
$ cpuid2cpuflags
CPU_FLAGS_X86: 3dnow 3dnowext mmx mmxext popcnt sse sse2 sse3 sse4a

So I would add
Code:
CPU_FLAGS_X86="3dnow 3dnowext mmx mmxext popcnt sse sse2 sse3 sse4a"
to make.conf.

What is 3dnow, 3dnownext and popcnt? I didn't get those when I ran the command so does that mean I should leave those out?

Just 27 more packages to compile then I'll have the GUI installed. Do I have to install something extra to get XDM? Like, the thing you enable with OpenRC & the config file you change to change your display manager

Last edited by kenny_w on Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenny_w,

Yes. You must only set the CPU_FLAGS_X86 you actually have.
If you allow the use of features not fitted on your CPU, I'll hear the code crash from Scotland. :)

You will get an illegal instruction error.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
kenny_w
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah lol I see. I've got all the ones in that my computer gave me - it was sse, sse2, sse3, and ssse3. So that means its not an sse4 instruction set I take it?
Also, what is ssse3? What's up with the extra s ? What does that mean?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenny_w,

Homework
For more detail, get the Intel documents for your CPU.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
kenny_w
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Neddy, and thank you to everyone else who has helped me get started in Gentoo - I now have a working GUI and the video driver works fine! :D
I really appreciate all of your help, without you guys, I don't know what I'd of done! Thank you all very very much!

I've just got to install all the necessities & etc, so I won't close the thread just yet, as I may run into an issue with emerge or with a package.
Or would I be better off closing this thread & opening a new one? Does it matter?

I wanna get QT5CT to work so I can style my QT5 apps & apply the GTK2 LXDE theme to them, and I wanna get the "Plank" dock too.
Does anyone use qt5ct? Any issues? On Arch/Debian/Fedora we need a package called qt5-styleplugins, idk if that is the case or not in Gentoo.
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenny_w wrote:
Is there anything I can do to make the compiling go faster? I have "-j3" because its just an intel atom N270 1.6GHz Dual-Core. Could I get away with maybe making it -j4 do you think?
With enough RAM, you can use a much higher -j value if you want. However, once -j gets much above the number of available processors, your returns drop to zero, then may fall if there is too much competition. Your best options for reducing compile times are to do less work (i.e. leave out features you don't need) or to use a faster CPU to do the work.
kenny_w wrote:
Or would I be better off closing this thread & opening a new one? Does it matter?
It matters some. The short answer is, if the new questions are unrelated to the original one, a new thread with an appropriate title is a better choice. If the questions are logically a continuation of your current problem, keep them in the same thread. Many readers only open threads that they consider interesting, and some judge that by the title of the thread or the forum in which it is posted. For example, if you asked a networking question in a thread in the Installing Gentoo forum, and particularly if the thread started out as being about install issues, some networking-centric readers might never see it and not respond.
kenny_w
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so I've made a new thread so that way these topics stay relevant to the thread.
Here's a link:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8154250.html#8154250

I need to figure out how these use and license change things work...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: