Question about critical software
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoitz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Question about critical software Reply with quote

Good morning mates,

I'm going to try to explain what has happened to me when doing an upgrade world. I have done as usual periodically an emerge --update --newuse --with-bdeps=y --changed-deps=y --deep @world. When building Chromium 62 it told me that a version of gcc better than 5 was needed to build it. I had installed the one I think that came with stage3 so 4.9.3 in that moment and due to yesterdays emerge for updating world a new one was automatically installed. The gcc 6.4.0. When seeing I had both installed and emerge failed with this error of Chromium I switched with gcc-config from one version to another and later I did the emerge --unmerge gcc fpr trying to just leave one of the versions, just the new one. My intention was not to basically update gcc so I didn't read any special documentation about it, which now I have do. Tge Gentoo wiki basically sais that you must in this case do the emerge, later select the new version and later reemerge libtool and llvm in my case. After that the emerge -e @system and later the @world.

Ok, so is what I have done now. But have seen too, another machines, like my laptop in which it seems too that gcc and some other critical software to have been updated, surely the glibc, gcc, llvm too... don't know.... and purpose for which, I have always left emerge to do it's job. I usually launched :

emerge --ask --update --deep --newuse @world
emerge --depclean
revdep-rebuild

If I saw some error, I perhaps unmerged a package (I remember boost some time ago), later launch again the emerge world, or an emerge @preserved-libs or whatever... but without more issues... Now I'm working pretty fine in all my workstations.. and servers.... but.. Having noticed that I always just do the emerge world wthout noticing what it's going to update.... and if something happened just, you now... unmerging a package or similar.. (I don't now remember other commands launched)...

Now at present for updating I launch :

emerge --update --newuse --with-bdeps=y --changed-deps=y --deep @world
emerge --depclean
revdep-rebuild

Having said this, and knowing I have never dealed specilly with glibc, gcc, llvm at Gentoo, because have just left emerge @world to do all, or at least, do the minimum as an unmerge or a emerge -oneshot or similar... of some package for emerge @world to work, would you recommend me to reinstall all my Gentoo machines?. They seem to work fine now....

Best regards,
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

egoitz,

There is no need te reinstall.

Your regular update cycle is missing
Code:
eselect news list

If you want to use revdep-rebuild, use it before emerge --depclean.
Portage will not remove old libraries that would break your system.
revdep-rebuild is mostly obsolete.
Use emerge @preserved-rebuild instead.

Code:
emerge --sync
emerge -uDUav  --with-bdeps=y --keep-going @world
eselect news list

Read and maybe act on news items at this point.
Code:
emerge @preserved-rebuild
emerge --depclean -p

Do read the list. Now and again, things you really want to keep get listed.
You may want to keep old gcc versions or old kernel sources. Possibly
Code:
emerge --depclean -a --exclude="gcc"
Read the list before you allow it to go ahead.
Act on any news items that affect you that were not acted on earlier.

-- edit --
You really don't want to see
Code:
 * IMPORTANT: 42 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
 * Use eselect news read to view new items.
yes that's for real. Its on a system I rarely update, so I've read the news items already.
I also follow the -dev mailing list where news items are discussed, so Isee them before they are in the tree.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
egoitz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi NeddySeagoon!

Thanks a lot for your time and advises. So then all should be ok and no need of reinstalling systems should exist due to the commented reson?. You know sometimes, you can make this kind of mistake, or as the following ones you commented below. I have done emerge --ask --emptytree @system and emerge --ask --emptytree @world (for trying to avoid the reinstallation in case was possible)... but had thought (before writting here) that perhaps reinstallation with a clean disk and new fresh stage could be appropiate and safer.... for not having noticed about the gcc upgrade procedure and the rest of updated packages done by the normal emerge world I said I use for updating system....
So if not updating just gcc... and doing an emerge world I could do just what you told below?. No need of doing the emerge gcc, immediately later libtool, llvm and so with oneshot?... can be all this left to my regular update process with emerge world? Which I have forgotten adding one option before when commenting how I launched. It's concretely : emerge --update --newuse --with-bdeps=y --changed-deps=y --complete-graph=y --deep @world (wth complete-graph)

Cheers!!

Last edited by egoitz on Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

egoitz,

The procedure to update gcc varies depending on what changes between versions.

The procedure I gave, with the read the news in the middle, ensures that you are notified of any other changes where you need to take action.
Just occasionally, there are things you need to do before reboot.

Oh ... I missed
Code:
etc-update
off the list of steps.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
egoitz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok then mate, but.... having all said... including I use the complete-graph and all.....

You consider not need of reinstalling the entire system from 0, now I have acted the way described before?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: