Upower, pm-utils and openrc
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robsta23
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Upower, pm-utils and openrc Reply with quote

Hi there,

as a long time gentoo user, I first have to thank all the developers for there endless work for this great distribution. I'm using the stable branch as a productive system for all my stuff (hardware programming, project management, bureaucracy, windows virtual machine and etc. pp.).

After recognizing some occasionally unstable suspend/resume since this summer on my thinkpad x250, I was once again looking into hardware hooks and pm-utils and I found that none of the long time well working hooks are executed once I'm suspending using my favourite desktop environment (KDEs plasma with powerdevil and upower). This is because power devil is requiring upower to do suspend/resume which seems to be closely related to systemd. With upower/systemd hardware hooks can be achieved differently. However on openrc I'm still depending on pm-utils to perform hardware suspend hooks, don't I!?

I do not have those occasional suspend/resume hick-ups, if I suspend/resume with pm-utils from command line. So I guess my issue would be resolved through those old vbe quirks and so on.

Is there any hope that pm-utils will be connected to upower? Or is there a way this can be achieved? How can I do hardware suspend/resume hooks with upower? Anybody seeing similar problems?
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Upower, pm-utils and openrc Reply with quote

robsta23 wrote:
Is there any hope that pm-utils will be connected to upower?

I doubt it: upower and udisks are part of the policykit framework which attempts to reinvent the wheel (IMHO poorly). It is unlikely that they support any tools which were not "invented" by them.
robsta23
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I doubt it: upower and udisks are part of the policykit framework which attempts to reinvent the wheel (IMHO poorly). It is unlikely that they support any tools which were not "invented" by them.

Thanks mv for the reply. I understand that and I'm totally your opinion regarding systemd and folks.

However if desktops are moving towards systemd, it will become quiet impossible to run gentoo with those desktops and still rely on OpenRC. Like porting elogind to openrc, there should be something like upower-pm-utils that would port upower to openrc. However upower-pm-utils seems to be discontinued. So now I'm a little bit puzzled as to what is the strategy in the Gentoo universe to outlive the temporary systemd hype and at the same time support as many desktops as possible!?

I'd be delighted if somebody could help me understand.

How can I configure the suspend process performed by powerdevil/upower, now that pm-utils is not involved anymore?
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robsta23 wrote:
regarding systemd and folks

I am not sure how much systemd and policykit are related. Technically, the only thing they have in common is that dbus is used to communicate with them. And thus both are the primary attack vectors for privilege escalation exploits. Actually, I consider policykit much more dangerous in this connection than systemd.
Quote:
there should be something like upower-pm-utils that would port upower to openrc.

This does not really make sense. When you want something like upower use upower. When you want something else like pm-utils, use pm-utils.
Your real problem is that powerdevil now supports only upower. So you have to drop powerdevil and either use the terminal or write your own GUI for using pm-utils (or convince the powerdevil people to continue supporting pm-utils as a backend).
Quote:
How can I configure the suspend process performed by powerdevil/upower

I cannot help you with that, because I do not use these tools.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: