Non-portage tree builds
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Non-portage tree builds Reply with quote

I was wondering if with some software builds on my system that were not retrieved or anything from the portage tree. I used a separate build, and sort of just stashed it away in the /opt folder on my system.

Would there be an easy way to include the files and package info back into my local system database of packages that portage tracks, with portageq or whatever else there is.

Also, the main idea is not to be rebuilding these so whatever the answer is should assume these are not actually available in the portage tree, but that I would still like a way to account for it in Portage somehow even after just installing from source code and no local repo or anything like that.

If I did create a local repository, how does that work if I don't have any ebuilds to move into there. Will portage handle things other than ebuilds for packages, like just a regular tar.bz or gzipped package?

As a follow up to that thought, if I did need to create the ebuild myself for some out of tree packages, which of the wiki pages provides a good set of instructions for creating the ebuild of a well maintained set of software (outside of the gentoo repository)

EDIT: So I just read about injecting in the handbook, which seems fine for the purpose of keeping dependencies and stuff up to date. But what about the additional aspect of being able to locate files with equery -belongs or something else like that. Is the /etc/portage/profile/package.provided file used for this purpose as well?
Hu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easiest way is to install an ebuild that installs those files. You could make a foo-bin ebuild by bundling up your previously built sources into a tarball and considering that the "source" archive, then letting the ebuild install that. Your big problem is whether you can locate all the files and determine which logical package owns each one. If you really don't want to recopy the files, you could try to create a Portage /var/db/pkg entry to describe the files outside of Portage control. Very few users are likely to be able to support you in that path though.

A Portage overlay is for ebuilds. They don't need to compile anything (consider all the Perl/Python/Ruby ebuilds, plus the -bin ebuilds for LibreOffice / Firefox), but they do need to be structured as a Portage ebuild.

package.provided is just a shortcut for lying to Portage about what packages are installed for the purposes of dependency resolution. It only takes a package atom, so there's no way to tell Portage which files are owned by which package.
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Non-portage tree builds Reply with quote

LIsLinuxIsSogood wrote:
As a follow up to that thought, if I did need to create the ebuild myself for some out of tree packages, which of the wiki pages provides a good set of instructions for creating the ebuild of a well maintained set of software (outside of the gentoo repository)

Start with https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Basic_guide_to_write_Gentoo_Ebuilds and https://devmanual.gentoo.org/
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: