nvidia-drivers removes /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monq
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: nvidia-drivers removes /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0 Reply with quote

I use a custom ACPI DSDT table and I boot with acpi_backlight=video so the system creates a /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0 folder. That one works, because /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight doesn't.

Unfortunately since I installed nvidia-drivers, /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0 is no longer created by the system. Only intel_backlight appears there, which doesn't work.
Monq
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that adding this option:

Code:
Option "RegistryDwords" "EnableBrightnessControl=1"

To the device section of the Nvidia card fixes part of the problem: the acpi_video0 directory remains there.

But xbacklight no longer works because, I presume, xrandr thinks intel_backlight is the correct way of changing the brightness of my screen. When I was using the intel driver, I could choose the other backlight control with this option:

Code:
Option "Backlight" "acpi_video0"

But it looks like that option is only supported by the intel driver, and not nvidia's.

I was reading the relevant code and it doesn't look like there's any command line option that I could pass to the kernel so it doesn't create the intel_backlight directory.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: