Syncing with portagge
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Syncing with portagge Reply with quote

Hello forum friends, could someone please help me to understand the idea for having the more fast and secure syncs to the main gentoo repository. I typically will switch between methods or tools for doing the sync, and want to know, a) that there is no harm in this, which I suspect there is not, and b) if there is a preferred method for me to be using for the syncing and then I can go back to using it in a daily cron job which is the recommended method, but not knowing the advantages to using one method or the other I will just probably choose based on someone else's advice here.
artbody
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think that this automation doesn't really work

some updates gives blockers or dependencies on changing USE flags

there you'll have to interact manually with your computer :wink:
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply artbody, I hadn't thought about it but you bring up very good points. I will try not to do any automatic package updates after all. But please look at another post here I just made I am wondering something about out-of-tree builds and whether there is a preferred way to handle the lot of all packages on my system (in- and out- of the portage tree) so that I can query like I do with portageq or equery but for not just the ones I installed with emerge. Also an acceptable solution I would imagine would be to understand better how to use the emerge tool to do the installing of these packages. Is that just going to be emerge --buildpkg or something similar with a tarred archive of some kind? Where is there a good description about that somewhere on the wiki...maybe?

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1073278-highlight-.html

Thanks again!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: