alsamixer works as root, but not as user, due to asoundrc
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fusion809
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:21 am    Post subject: alsamixer works as root, but not as user, due to asoundrc Reply with quote

Hi,

Running alsamixer as root, or as user without an asoundrc works properly. Although whenever I open up VLC and player a video with audio I get this pop up: https://imgur.com/nLH6ah7.png (in case viewing this image is problematic the error message is: 'Audio output failed: The audio device "default" could not be used: No such file or directory'. If I use this asoundrc file:

Code:

pcm.!default "plughw:1,0"
ctl.!default "plughw:1,0"

VLC runs fine, audio and all, but alsamixer fails to run with the error:

Code:

ALSA lib /var/tmp/portage/media-libs/alsa-lib-1.1.5/work/alsa-lib-1.1.5/src/control/control.c:1262:(snd_ctl_open_conf) Invalid type for CTL default definition
cannot open mixer: Invalid argument

Why would I want to run alsamixer if audio runs fine with this asoundrc file? Because I want to change the volume, without relying on the audio control of programs like VLC. I sometimes watch videos on PLUS7, and the terrible thing is that videos start with the full volume on that website, regardless of whether I've adjusted [/code]its volume on the last video I watched in it and it's enough to practically burst my eardrums, so I'd like to be able to adjust system volume (i.e. that which is independent of programs) to half-bore so it doesn't do that.

Code:

lspci | grep -i audio

returns:

Code:

00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio Controller (rev 06)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)

if it helps.

Thanks for your time,
Brenton

Last edited by fusion809 on Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:46 am; edited 2 times in total
fusion809
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops sorry! I should have posted this on the Multimedia forum. I was searching for the appropriate one but I must have missed that it said sound.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: