Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
prelink in profile 17, does it still work?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lyallp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject: prelink in profile 17, does it still work? Reply with quote

Having just updated to gcc 6.4.0 p1.1, sys-devel/prelink no longer builds.
After eselecting to profile 17 (desktop) and rebuilding my entire system, it still does not build.
Does it still work now that profile 17 introduced the whole address randomisation?
Should I spend effort trying to sort it out or am I wasting my time, and should remove it from my build process?
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would help if you provide the full build.log so we can see what is the reason. Going through the bug database, I don't see anything indicating any issue, nor did I encounter any issue compiling it on my system (I've been running 17.0 profile when it first became available for testing).

Since you didn't post much of any information, I am guessing you are doing version 20130503. If this is so, take a look at =sys-devel/prelink-20130503 fails to build with =dev-libs/elfutils-0.169-r1.
lyallp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't looking for help with diagnosing the problem at this stage, I was asking if the tool still relevant now that Address Randomisation is now global.

However, in answer to your question, I was using 20130503, which was fine, up until I installed GCC 6.4.0, at which time, since it was a major version increase in the compiler, I rebuilt my entire system (only takes about 12 hours).

Later, profile 17 came along, at which time I selected the 'desktop' profile and rebuilt my system again and have since rebooted to make sure all is fresh. prelink still failed to compile.

The problem with prelink-20130503 is
Code:
libtool: link: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -Wall -Wno-pointer-sign -mtune=native -march=native -O2 -pipe -static -Wl,-O1 -o prelink cache.o conflict.o cxx.o doit.o exec.o execle_open.o get.o gather.o layout.o main.o prelink.o reloc.o space.o undo.o undoall.o verify.o canonicalize.o md5.o sha.o checksum.o data.o dso.o dwarf2.o fptr.o hashtab.o mdebug.o stabs.o crc32.o arch-i386.o arch-alpha.o arch-ppc.o arch-ppc64.o arch-sparc.o arch-sparc64.o arch-x86_64.o arch-mips.o arch-s390.o arch-s390x.o arch-arm.o arch-sh.o arch-ia64.o  -Wl,--as-needed -lelf
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/6.4.0/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -lelf

prelink-20151030 builds ok. Given 20151030 is keyworded, I have applied ~amd64 to prelink for now, but my question remains.

Is prelink still relevant in a randomised address system?
Ant P.
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can't find libelf.so, which should have already been pulled in by dependencies (dev-libs/elfutils). Maybe reinstalling that might help?
lyallp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it can't find libelf, later build works, the whole system was reinstalled, twice, once after gcc 6.4 when that came out, and once again for profile 17.

libelf exists in /usr/lib64, has been installed recently and it still didn't work. sys-devel/prelink was the only package out of 1600 odd that complained.

Easier to simply ignore, especially since the ebuild is 4 years old, moving to a newer ebuild, which probably has better 64 bit support, worked for me.

Code:
lyall@Lyalls-PC /usr/lib64
$ ls -la libelf*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 96680 Dec  2 21:18 libelf-0.169.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    11 Dec  2 21:18 libelf.so -> libelf.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    15 Dec  2 21:18 libelf.so.1 -> libelf-0.169.so

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: