Pulseaudio Deslexia
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jserink
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject: Pulseaudio Deslexia Reply with quote

Hi All:

Much to my chagrin, I have had to install pulseaudio. My system was running PERFECTLY with ALSA but I use evolution on xfce4 and needed the gnome control centre to use gnome-online-accounts for my work google mail. I initially installed pulseaudio, got gnome-control-center installed and then removed pulse and replaced it with apulse so than skype would work. problem is, portage continually complained about pulse not being there. Lived with this for a few mnths and finally made the switch last week, rebuilt everything that needed and of course, spent a day with no sound....because that's how pulseaudio works, or rather doesn't work.

Anyhow, after much pissing about, I've got my sound and mic working but I have questions for the gurus:
1. In puavcontrol, it correctly identified that my headphones are plugged in and sets them as the output device. No Sound. So I go and manually change the output device to "Speakers(unavailable)" and then I get sound. How do I tell pulse audio that my headphones are headphones and not unavailable speakers?
2. For my headphone mic, it correctly identifies "Microphone" as plugged in, and doesn't work. (two for two, you have to admire the consistency). So I go into input devices and select "Internal Microphone (unplugged)" and then my headphone mic works. How to I tell pulseaudio that my headphone mic is mic and not the unplugged internal mic?

Cheers,
john
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hijserink,

Your in luck because these are the default settings of pulse when starts located in /etc/pulse configuration there should be four files i think two of them are used at a time, check the daemon cofiguration first and then client configuration. This is a typical server client and pavucontrol whicb is nothing more than a GUI to the pulse client is not self aware enough to make the type of changes that are going to be from the configuring of it in pulseaudio.

You can find examples configurations online for these without having to post back with your hardware here, if you run into an issue and make sure to restart services when making changes to pulseaudio as it does not automatically make the change each time until the darmon/client is restarted.

Have you had any luck with it since last week?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: