Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustAnother
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The material is there, its just not in a form that tells how to solve a particular problem.

That's exactly why you need to put other contexts into the documentation. The glossary/index is the most efficient one, but a use case road map is also very effective. Think of the full documentation set as a prism that has a different appearance (i.e., context) from a different direction. Each inquiry has a context that works better for that inquiry.

Gentoo needs a concept summary that just describes the package topology. Look at what the writers of The Git Book did right. The first thing they do in that book is to build a topological model of their system. Commits are snapshots, and are defined as differences from the previous commit, therefore they form a linear chain, which defines a branch concisely as an endpoint of a chain, etc. Then the entire book uses this model as things get more complicated. But the model stays the same. That one factor has won over a lot of people -- they understand the underlying model. Kind of... (Me too.) And Git also can get very messy. They have their versions of the slot conflict. But people use it.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helecho,

helecho wrote:
I think a statistical analysis should be done to understand or establish certain facts.

A statistical analysis can establish correlations and probabilities but not facts.

Benjamin Disraeli wrote:
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustAnother,

JustAnother wrote:
Each inquiry has a context that works better for that inquiry.

Agreed. The inference then is that no two use cases are the same.

Gentoo does not collect the information to determine popular use cases, although there was a Summer of Code project (gentoo-stats) and there has recently be talk of reviving it.
Whatever information is gathered needs to be in an opt in basis, which means their is a built in bias if favour of those that opt in.

There is a limit to what can be achieved with the resources at Gentoos disposal. If you have some specific ideas, contribute a concrete example or two to the wiki and PM me to make sure I see it.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
JustAnother
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most of the use cases can be drawn up from common sense.

Here is a simple idea -- just start building a list of the terms that would go into a glossary. That may sound dumb, but it is surprising how much such a simple act might reveal. Then somebody starts back referencing the terms to see what is already in the docs, and where to get it. Then somebody starts writing the term definitions that become the nucleus of more robust entries. Each of these steps is a value adder, and simplifies the next step.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustAnother,

Robot wrote:
Danger Will Robinson ...

Common sense is much rarer that you might suppose.
Its not very common either.

I can follow your idea but I don't see where it leads. Nor do I see how to organise the content in a useful way.
We have man, info and doc pages per application.
We have the Wiki, that tends to be written in a HOWTO fashion.
There is the tldp.org which is a huge collection of linux documentation.

Anything new has to work across cultural and language boundaries too, even if its written in English to start with.

Linux is a vast subject, a glossary would be too simple and would omit important things or too complex to use.

Maybe you should start a pilot page on the Wiki?

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustAnother, and keep reading the forum and not just your problems. In time you will start to see it all come together. And also, who to trust and who to not trust.
JustAnother
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Linux is a vast subject, a glossary would be too simple and would omit important things or too complex to use.

Agreed. What I'm talking about is an index of only gentoo-specific terms whose purpose is to help familiarize people with gentoo. For example, I looked around and couldn't find much evidence that the term slot has any universal meaning in a software context. Maybe I'm missing something.

By the way McDonald's drove us crazy for decades with their creative terminology -- words like Big Mac and McFries. But this is good marketing because it pulls the customer into a miniature universe of words that bind them to one vendor. Terminology can have a subtle but important impact on things. That's what you need - a mascot named Ronald McGentoo. A penguin wearing a clown suit.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustAnother,

Gentoo has Larry the Cow as a mascot.

There is lots of Gentoo terminology that users don't need to be aware of until they are beginning to stray from the beaten path.
Then there is no point in spoon feeding ase every path is different.
That's a lot of effort for a small fraction of Gentoo users.

I would be pleased to see a pilot page appear on the Wiki though.

Gentoo is not really a Linux distro. Its a toolkit you use to implement your own distro.
Don't think of Gentoo as a distro.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
JustAnother,

Gentoo has Larry the Cow as a mascot.

Yep. Larry, the gender-confused cow.
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
and keep reading the forum and not just your problems.

This is very good advice. Simply by scanning these Forums daily I am often forewarned of problems before they occur on my machines, and therefore know how to either avoid or fix them. And, if I happen to know the answer to someone else's predicament, I can offer help too.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
Spargeltarzan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also believe we have got so many documented mechanisms (already) in the forums which could become migrated into a knowledge-database.

Reading the forums help a lot, but the forum itself should be more a place to ask for help and discuss topics.
Also in a forum a user usually reads (if he or she is motivated) 3-4 pages back and the search function is not the best unfortunately. (maybe is also time for a new forum? - with support for tablets/smartphones? if the forum should contain recent documentation, sticky items must be updated urgently)

Just recently I turned my system to be non-bootable following the Wiki for Intel Microcode Update - in the forum there was already the right mechanism documented.

Agree with Gentoo we can create our very own Distro, but it follows some rules. (by the way, in my point of view quite strict rules, to achieve a good system)

If we want to turn the "downwards spiral", this currently for sure means much effort for a few users. The userbase will grow afterwards!

We also need some positive review results in Google.

Larry the cow is awesome.

Spargeltarzan

Notebook: Lenovo YOGA 900-13ISK: Gentoo stable amd64, GNOME systemd, KVM/QEMU
Desktop-PC: Intel Core i7-4770K, 8GB Ram, AMD Radeon R9 280X, ZFS Storage, GNOME openrc, Dantrell, Xen
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo! Larry the Cow! :lol:
mimosinnet
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spargeltarzan wrote:
Just recently I turned my system to be non-bootable following the Wiki for Intel Microcode Update - in the forum there was already the right mechanism documented.

Ups... I would like to follow the instructions on the wiki for Intel microcode Update. Are they all right? Thanks!
Spargeltarzan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Grub2 section of it is obsolete (such deep Grub changes actually are never a good idea), I have copied microcode.cpio to /boot and I have just added initrd /microcode.cpio to grub.cfg (I didn't use an initramfs before)

Spargeltarzan

Notebook: Lenovo YOGA 900-13ISK: Gentoo stable amd64, GNOME systemd, KVM/QEMU
Desktop-PC: Intel Core i7-4770K, 8GB Ram, AMD Radeon R9 280X, ZFS Storage, GNOME openrc, Dantrell, Xen
P.Kosunen
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mimosinnet wrote:
Ups... I would like to follow the instructions on the wiki for Intel microcode Update. Are they all right? Thanks!

Yes, at least "New method without initram-fs/disk" part works.
Waterdevil
Apprentice
Apprentice

Location: LaniakeaHypercluster VirgoSupercluster MilkomedaGroup OrionArm Sector001 GouldBelt SolSystem Austria

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello World,

for your information:

I tried to help to improve the documentation for troubleshooting gentoo portage issues.

I edited https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Troubleshooting and added an additional example:

Quote:
Here is another example of a block:
root #emerge --ask --verbose --update --newuse --deep @world
CODE Example of a block conflict

sys-power/cpupower:0

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!

Total: 0 packages, Size of downloads: 0 KiB

WARNING: One or more updates/rebuilds have been skipped due to a dependency conflict:

(sys-power/cpupower-4.9.0-r1:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) conflicts with
<sys-power/cpupower-4.7 required by (mate-base/mate-applets-1.12.1-r4:0/0::gentoo, installed)
^ ^^^

Nothing to merge; quitting.

sys-power/cpupower should be neither 4.9 nor 4.7. It needs to be downgraded to a version below 4.7

Then Mr. feng wrote in discussion:

Quote:
Waterdevil's example is not convenient because it leads to wonder questions concerning the operation of Portage (sadly the technical documentation is sparse). I suggest we remove this example.

This can not be happening! Are some crazy? Should gentoo be bewared as secret science? If he has success with removal, then all are right which go away from gentoo!

Main-Sys: LianLi modded Big Cube 8000,X11DPG-QT,MEM:64G,LSI 9305,HDD:102TB(16x3T,8x6T,4x1T,1x0,5Tm.2,4x0,5TSSD),nVidia GTX1060,NIC:2x10GbSFP+,Fans:20,PSU:1200W+500W,UPS:APC1500VA,FibreChannel,Tandberg LTO-6
Mr. T.
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a matter of perspective: it may be easier to remove a wrongly exposed example rather than improve it!
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not an example of a block. Portage would in this circumstance happily emerge other packages, but it is telling you why a certain upgrade is not possible. The example would definitely need improvement explaining the reason for the necessary lower than available version.
Waterdevil
Apprentice
Apprentice

Location: LaniakeaHypercluster VirgoSupercluster MilkomedaGroup OrionArm Sector001 GouldBelt SolSystem Austria

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I want to list possible emerge problems and their solution. But I don't know how to improve this.
I know I had this issue, I wrestled with it for many days and I wish I had such a example for a possible solution. I didn't understand '<' so that neither 4.7 nor 4.9 would solve.

All this emerge output is way too complicated for me.

Is there a wrapper for emerge errors to translate to clear english?

Main-Sys: LianLi modded Big Cube 8000,X11DPG-QT,MEM:64G,LSI 9305,HDD:102TB(16x3T,8x6T,4x1T,1x0,5Tm.2,4x0,5TSSD),nVidia GTX1060,NIC:2x10GbSFP+,Fans:20,PSU:1200W+500W,UPS:APC1500VA,FibreChannel,Tandberg LTO-6
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you really need a way of shortening the output or would just a clear description of the problem also be helpful. If so the difference here as was already described is that in this case the slotted versions oc packages are what is presenting conflict. Therefore if you removed your dependency of mate-applet then you would find no error. That is what is known as a slot conflict, and i guess if you have any doubt about it then go on try it out. You can even afterwards reinstall the mate-applet to see if there is nothing special here you are looking at a decision to either use package mask or else if for some very odd reason you want to be on just the newest releases then i guess removing the previous dependency as i mentioned. What primarily makes this not something besides a block, is the versions are all for the same software rather that conflict is usually referred as a slot conlict.
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waterdevil,

as asturm pointed out, the particular example you gave is not a block. It is just warning you that Portage would skip updating cpupower to Version 4.9.0-r1 because your installation has Version 1.12.1-r4 of mate-applets installed, and that version of mate-applets requires a version of cpupower that is lower than Version 4.7.

So I recommend you modify the Wiki text to something similar to the following:

Quote:
Here is an example of Portage skipping the update of a package because the updated package would conflict with the dependency requirement of an already-installed package:
root #emerge --ask --verbose --update --newuse --deep @world
CODE Example of a skipped merge because of a dependency conflict

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!

Total: 0 packages, Size of downloads: 0 KiB

WARNING: One or more updates/rebuilds have been skipped due to a dependency conflict:

(sys-power/cpupower-4.9.0-r1:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) conflicts with
<sys-power/cpupower-4.7 required by (mate-base/mate-applets-1.12.1-r4:0/0::gentoo, installed)
^ ^^^

Nothing to merge; quitting.

sys-power/cpupower would need to be downgraded to a version below 4.7 because mate-base/mate-applets-1.12.1-r4 requires a version of sys-power/cpupower lower than 4.7.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a sense the OP's situation is almost identical to a Blocked Package except the source of the problem is an already installed package that requires updating and another package that is already installed. No update to the wiki should be made except if it offers the suggestion for a route of how to get around the problem. The description of a Blocked Package is and isn't important, unless it helps to work through the issue. In other words, yes it is not a Blocked Pakage, but why it's not is because of a nuance about how the package manager handles errors in dependency resolution. The Blocked Package actually is a conflict of different packages that are each being pulled in from different dependencies, or something like that (in my own words). Basically ebuilds with dependencies built in for if a package needs another one that is somehow not satisfactory for another package that is a Blocked Package.

Or like the Handbook has it...
When one of these dependencies explicitly marks a package or virtual as being not compatible, it triggers a blockage.

So what should OP be doing?
My feeling is the best way around that situation, based on my own experimenting over time is to basically remove a package and hopefully you remove the right one, in order to proceed with an update and let portage work out the dependencies again once that conflict present in versions is removed via a removal of the package itself. There's no real harm in installing and reinstalling packages a bizillion times and if you are certain that the packages are being maintained as they are then it is likely to work.
fca
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like I'm in a bit of a similar situation here as the OP. Long time Gentoo user (see join date), recently reconnected my linux computer after a move, and now seeing at least 3 major upgrade blockers (perl, new profiles, python targets?). It's a bit disheartening, especially since some packages seem to fail build, and then "emerge -e world" just gives up after the first build failure, even with a --keep-going, or emerge --resume. Given that I have around 1700 packages to install (including libreoffice, chromium and so on, which will take a ton of time even if everything goes smoothly), I start wondering if Gentoo is still for me.

And the last time a simple "emerge -u world" worked I cannot remember...

I see some conflicting advice also: update often, but only update when you have the time to fix things. How is this supposed to work?

The point is, encountering and resolving a block takes time (sometimes a lot of time), and I find myself getting less and less patient for these kind of issues. I want to use Gentoo, not troubleshoot its problems.

Anyway, I have no real point here, except don't disparage the OP: for every such complaint there are tons of people just quietly leaving, which cannot be good, right?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fca,

That you have all these update in one go indicates your system is out of date.

Do perl on its own.
Code:
emerge -1 perl-cleaner
perl-cleaner --all -- -av

perl-cleaner will warn about passing options to the package manager but its only to see what it will do.
Before pressing y check that the updated perl is included in the output. There is no point in rebuilding what you already have.

perl-cleaner calls emerge twice, so you will get two lists of packages to approve.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fca wrote:
I see some conflicting advice also: update often, but only update when you have the time to fix things. How is this supposed to work?

There has not been a major perl upgrade in a very long time, so you have clearly missed the huge grey area between 'update often' and 'when you have time'.

And after such a long time your rule of thumb should be 'one at a time'. So, profile change and emerge -e world should be the last thing you should worry about right now, and temporarily set PYTHON_TARGETS to your old values so that perl can be done at first.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: