ACPI messages in log
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: ACPI messages in log Reply with quote

Hi, I know this is probably a very easy question which is why I am turning to the forum instead of spending hours reading about the subject.

My logs have various ACPI related messages on a relatively new install, some look harmless and others sort of interesting or questionable at best.

During the boot process (dmesg... https://paste.pound-python.org/show/hMKyFYFmZl5QYws4SSmU/ )
Whatever is going on here, does it look normal or are these the type of errors that don't seem so disastrous? In other words, is it possibly a configuration issue with acpid that's causing the user logging, which happens to also show up on several of the GUI tty's (I think vt7 and above)...they all say more or less the same thing, which is something to the effect of:

acpid: cliient has disconnected OR ELSE Something to that effect. Could these have to do with the switching of vt's as well, or maybe use of startx or X in general. Does it seem like something I could just suppress in the logs, or maybe get rid of altogether? I'm not sure the purpose of it in the first place with my server, which really never goes into hibernation for anything...Please help!

I'm getting this in my user.log (I think it has to do with switching terminals, as I regularly do since I don't run a Desktop Environment).
https://paste.pound-python.org/show/OBAFH4zRznEtnpSTopQy/

ADDITION: Am I right to assume that the package has no real use of a desktop computer, which is always plugged into a power source and has no battery?

[Moderator edit: fixed [url] tag. Forum auto-linking does not work when the URL contains parentheses. -Hu]
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe an issue with media-sound/jack-audio-connection-kit

was very bug ridden in gnome2 days afaik.
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: ACPI messages in log Reply with quote

LIsLinuxIsSogood wrote:
ADDITION: Am I right to assume that the package has no real use of a desktop computer, which is always plugged into a power source and has no battery?
No. Most modern systems can generate ACPI events in response to various buttons, and you can arrange for acpid to run programs in response to those ACPI events. I have a desktop that generates an ACPI button when the power button is pressed briefly, and I configured acpid to hibernate the system when that key is pressed. It lets me put the system into deep sleep without logging in as root or unlocking the desktop environment.
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of that ACPI dmesg stuff looks fine to me, with the exception of the lookup/parse failures at the bottom. You could try seeing if your mobo has a newer BIOS, but it'll probably be fixed in the kernel source at some point. I'd definite report it to the kernel devs if it impacts performance or functionality.
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
maybe an issue with media-sound/jack-audio-connection-kit

was very bug ridden in gnome2 days afaik.

I don't see this being a source of it, since the package is not installed. But maybe in the kernel there is an option for audio connections I can take a look around, anyway I have to go in there to do something...probably related (as I currently need to and don't have sound from my headphones and audio outputs, except through HDMI connection going through the Nvidia Graphics Card)

Quote:
Quote:

Most of that ACPI dmesg stuff looks fine to me, with the exception of the lookup/parse failures at the bottom.

So far not noticed any performance issues, so that's good.

Last edited by LIsLinuxIsSogood on Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:44 am; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: