Security Boot Fail (complete beginner)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tinifee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Security Boot Fail (complete beginner) Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I should preface this by saying that I am a complete beginner in all things Linux, and running more on enthusiasm than understanding.

I'm trying to install gentoo on a new Notebook, which has endless OS pre-installed. I (think) I made my USB-stick bootable and put the Hybrid ISO (live DVD) on it. I started the notebook, went into the BIOS, changed the boot-priority to USB, and booted again.

This gets me a Security Boot Fail, though. So, I'm failing at the very first step, essentially.

Is there maybe someone on this forum who might have the patience to help me figure out where I'm going wrong/how to do it right?

I tried to find the answer on my own first, but a lot of what I find does not make a whole lot of sense to me (-> beginner). I am very eager to learn, though.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Gentoo!

Check out http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/secureboot.html

There may be an option to disable Secure Boot in your UEFI setup.
Hu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The error message phrasing is a bit odd. Perhaps this was poorly translated by your firmware vendor.

As Jaglover says, welcome, and enjoy the added complication Microsoft has inflicted on you by requiring that your notebook ship with Secure Boot enabled (and apparently without requiring that the firmware do a good job explaining what is wrong). Secure Boot ensures that only operating systems approved by the keyholder can start. Mostly, this means operating systems made by Microsoft or by parties that have paid Microsoft for permission to run. Some of the large Linux distributions have signed loaders that are permitted to run, but the specific live media you are trying to use is not permitted by your vendor. As Jaglover suggests, the shortest path is to disable Secure Boot (at least for now) so that you can run code of your choosing.

Those of us who started on slightly older hardware had an easier time of it, as we got to do the fun parts before fighting with Secure Boot. Nonetheless, if this is an x86 or x86_64 system (AMD or Intel CPU), the Microsoft logo program should require the vendor to provide a reasonable way to disable Secure Boot so that you can run code of your choosing. Explore all the choices in the firmware. If you're not sure, please link us to any online documentation about your notebook. In particular, any manuals describing its firmware options are of interest.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: