Realtek NIC or ISP???
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skaman814
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Realtek NIC or ISP??? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm trying to install Gentoo on my desktop, though I'm having trouble getting an internet connection. After cycling through chapter 3 "Configuring the network" in the handbook with little success, I ended up thinking that the wrong kernel module got loaded, however after "modprobe -r <module>" and "modprobe <other_module>" through the other realtek drivers, they only one that gets recognized is the one originally activated. I'm connecting to my ISP's wireless gateway. The laptop I'm using is connected to the same gateway, however it has an address of 192.168.0.2/24 though when I use "dhcpcd -HD enp3s0" on the desktop I get a 169.254.x.x/16 address. However if I "ping -c 3 8.8.8.8" I get "Destination Host Unreachable." I was getting the same results last night when I used ifconfig to manually setup a 192.168.0.x address. The DNS servers in my /etc/resolv.conf are the same name servers as listed on the laptop I'm using to write this.

Any ideas??? :?

Thanks in advance! :)
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skaman814,

169.254.x.x/16 is a link local IP address. Its useful only on networks that do not have a router.
dhcpcd does this when it can't reach a router.

What Ethernet devices does lspci show?

If your desktop has two interfaces, are you trying to use the one that the ethernet cable is not connected to?
When you run
Code:
ifconfig -a
what interfaces are shown?

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: