View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there is a learning curve. But, if I were a CEO of a company, I really wouldn't care what distribution so long as the person behind the desk could improve the design of the system by understanding what is there. Therefore, I think this is a pure comfort thing.

I've been using Linux for 4 yrs, and there's tons to learn regardless of the distribution that is a fact.

I know that sounds "silly" but the environment is something I would consider heavily when weighing the distributions, and not to focus too much on package management. If you want to go with Gentoo and not use Portage, you can install dev-vcs/git. There are many other ways to install packages (from source) on most linux distributions (although I don't want to overstate that fact).

How comfortable are you with the linux kernel in general? And that could help you too, to decide. I think you have to look at gentoo as a distro that involves a steep amount of "learning" built in to the environment, so look to other enterprise distros like Red Hat, or OpenSuse...as they have many out of the box features to make managing a network easy like Apple or something similar.
WishingItWouldWork
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIsLinuxIsSogood wrote:
Yes, there is a learning curve. But, if I were a CEO of a company, I really wouldn't care what distribution so long as the person behind the desk could improve the design of the system by understanding what is there. Therefore, I think this is a pure comfort thing.

I've been using Linux for 4 yrs, and there's tons to learn regardless of the distribution that is a fact.

I know that sounds "silly" but the environment is something I would consider heavily when weighing the distributions, and not to focus too much on package management. If you want to go with Gentoo and not use Portage, you can install dev-vcs/git. There are many other ways to install packages (from source) on most linux distributions (although I don't want to overstate that fact).

How comfortable are you with the linux kernel in general? And that could help you too, to decide. I think you have to look at gentoo as a distro that involves a steep amount of "learning" built in to the environment, so look to other enterprise distros like Red Hat, or OpenSuse...as they have many out of the box features to make managing a network easy like Apple or something similar.

I have been using Linux for many years. I am comfortable compiling & updating my own kernels (thanks to Gentoo) and working my way through "make menuconfig". The biggest "attraction" about Gentoo was the use of "USE flags" to adjust package features, yet that "big attraction" has proven to be Gentoo's "achilles heel" in our opinion. Gentoo's "USE flags" are like trying to program in C++; if you are not careful you can cut own throat with that "knife". Dependency issues were manageable in Gentoo until we started to discover "build dependencies" like this problem. Right now we have a Gentoo machine that has a package configuration that the Gentoo OS cannot co-exist together due conflicting packages (libnsl and opensp), yet we have not found a way to resolve that issue. Sometimes Gentoo is so entertaining in it's errors that it's actually truly sad to see in such a mature distribution.

Our preference is package management and compatibility with the existing network environment (a mix of Linux and Windows) more than anything else. Debian has proven easy to "package manage", both upgrade and downgrade as well as full OS upgrade; it just plain works, even their "testing" (Buster) version. Debian also seems to have no apparent compatibility issues in our network environment; no issues reported. My co-worker ran into SAMBA compatibility issues in Gentoo that went unanswered by Gentoo maintainers for 6 months before my co-worker gave up on the bug filing. We cannot even create that SAMBA issue in Debian.

So Debian trades some "fine detail control", like that found in Gentoo "USE flags", for an overall Linux experience that just plain works on a consistent basis time after time. Admittedly, kernel compiling in debian isn't the easiest thing to do (they make you jump through a few hoops, unlike Gentoo), but their kernels are acceptable on a "security" basis (lots of kernel flags are likely enabled in Debian lots of modules are included across a range of packages) provided we do not install apps & services we do not need. Debian even allows us to not use "systemd" if we don't want to (just like Gentoo), and we are watching developments in the Devuan OS distribution closely. If "vendor support" was an issue for us we would use either Redhat or Oracle, or maybe Ubuntu (Debian with "training wheels" in our opinion).

So I have made up my mind and I think my co-worker also has made up his mind.

Again, thank you for your interest and patience. Time for me to "leave the building"....
Massimo B.
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that worth a bug report that autofs does not depend on net-libs/rpcsvc-proto?
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would assume that is what this is, https://bugs.gentoo.org/637270

However that is because the suggested package that solved my update problem, which was unknown to me at the time, is one of several options it may take them a bit more time to complete the work. Since it involves a change to glibc (a rather important set of compiling related libraries? IDK). Is there a way to ask for a report on this, from within the bug tracking?
Goverp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit of necromancy here, but I wonder if people hitting this issue with needing libnsl, opensp and stuff are suffering from what's in a thread about man-db. It was for me, and simply
Code:
emerge sys-apps/man
emerge --depclean --ask
removed a fair bit of junk.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: