Implement OpenRC support on Systemd based project
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
archenroot
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Implement OpenRC support on Systemd based project Reply with quote

I am interested in adoption of miraclecast project which supports on Linux systems sharing screen on projectors via Wifi connection.
https://github.com/albfan/miraclecast

But it depends on SystemD....

I raised the request as well, but no asnwer so far:
https://bugs.gentoo.org/636016

I can do the ebuild myself, the real problem I would like to make the project compatible with OpenRC, not only SystemD and here I would welcome any kind of guide, etc. maybe it is very simple, but I don't know where and how to start to work on support.

Any online documents about this, or personal hints are more than welcomed.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know what aspects of systemd it depends upon? If it is just as a service start/stop then the unit file can easily be rewritten as an openrc unit file. If it is on logging login etc it may become ugly
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick check of the code looks like it's deeply in bed with systemd, at least it's using it for the automated nature of it and actually #includes <systemd header files>. It may well be that all that's needed is udev, but it won't be a simple task.

-> someone needs to be really enthusiastic about it and also a programmer to port it back from systemd.

So are there any capable volunteers?

I don't have the hardware so unfortunately it's a pass for me.
archenroot
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked the creator to jump here as he is will to help. In meanwhile I created systemd virtual machine where I will do the ebuild limited to systemd and will wait if we find any "easy" solution to this. Thanks again guys for any hints.
albfan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, this is albfan, the miraclecast maintainer

Any access to instructions of that ebuild system? Would be cool to work on that or in the non systemd way.

There're people of other distros interested on package miraclecast properly, (like Red Hat with fedora) and there's cool things to work on, like delegate on NetworkManager WiFi Direct managing
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

albfan wrote:
Any access to instructions of that ebuild system? Would be cool to work on that or in the non systemd way.

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Basic_guide_to_write_Gentoo_Ebuilds
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Package_Manager_Specification
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Submitting_ebuilds

Hopefully this should get you started. If you need more help, I'm sure someone here would be glad to help. 8)
rburcham
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merry Xmas @albfan. I have a Samsung Allshare cast dongle, which I have read *should* be compatible, but if not I am willing to pick up the MS dongle and work with that. Let me know how I can help.
geki
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a quicklook at the miraclecast sources, which depend on systemd parts sd-bus, sd-daemon and sd-journal.

The TODO would be:
- extract sd-bus, sd-event, sd-id128 parts from libsystemd into libsd-bus; seems quite easy if you know meson build
- extend with syslog api; ifdef sd-journal else syslog endif example
- sd-daemon parts need a closer look

Replacing sd-bus api would be a major rework far more difficult and time-consuming than ripping sd-bus out of libsystemd somewhat like elogind.
I wonder if Yamakuzure - developer of elogind AFAIK - would help to get started.

Well, I had a look at how to extract sd-bus from systemd to get dbus-broker working without systemd for better performance(?) than old dbus.
I just have no spare time to actually do the necessary work these days. :?

So, if anyone is interested.
geki
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually was in mood this evening ~ it seems I cannot trust myself these days :lol: ~ to strip sys-apps/systemd down to libsystemd with only sd-bus, sd-event, sd-id128 and sd-daemon.
I share my hacks, so if anyone feels like doing a clean independent meson.build, instead of patching. I just want to see, if dbus-broker works with this cleansed libsystemd. for funs sake(=ffs, right? :o ).

I do NOT recommend to merge the hacked systemd ebuild and source. You will trash your system. It needs above-mentioned cleanup and maybe renaming.

Patch to ebuild, source and finally files to cherry-pick.
geki
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further discussion about extracting sd-bus from systemd may happen here: Extract sd-bus from systemd to build dbus-broker/miraclecast.
rburcham
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@geki has refactored critical pieces of systemd into a practical libsd-bus complete with bundled busctl. That's pretty cool. We should even be able to build miraclecast too by referring to the libsd-bus includes.

That just leaves the connman dependecy... I have to assume that most systems are NetworkManager, meaning it would have to be disabled (and therefore networking disabled) in order for connman to be able to control the P2P wifi interface.
archenroot
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sense to me, maybe (if one day miraclecast ready for openrc) we could integrate it with NetworkManger via upstream reuqest and see if they will be interested.

I found some resource referring to this already on Fedora:
https://wiki.gnome.org/NetworkManager/WifiDirect

But no progress at all, still we have miraclecast ebuild available (on systemd):
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1070784-start-0.html

And here is discussion about helping porting to openrc
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1077936.html
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: