Installing non-portage modules to an upgraded kernel [SOLVED
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhiJ
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Installing non-portage modules to an upgraded kernel [SOLVED Reply with quote

I'd not upgraded my kernel for a while, so I've just gone from 4.9.34 to 4.12.12. But I can't get my Netgear-A6210 external module to work and I don't know why (this is the original module and this is the very slightly modified version that compiles against kernel 4.12.12). It's possible that the issue is something to do with networking & security, so I might post to that subforum once I've got my head around the basics.

Also, after (trying to) install the new module, I've had trouble getting the old one to work.

I'm a bit lost for information, and I couldn't find a guide. I'd like to know the answer to the question below, but also if anyone knows any other helpful information I'll take it.

If I install a module against one kernel, and then make & install it again against another, do I have two separate modules in kernel-specific locations, or have I just overwritten my original? If it's not certain, how do I check?

Last edited by PhiJ on Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Hu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What symptoms do you see that lead you to believe that either module is not working? Do you get any error messages? Does it load, but produce incorrect results?

Generally, modules should be installed in a per-uname area, but the specific answer will depend on how the make install target you used works. It's likely that it follows tradition, since that would make the implementation simpler. You can check by examining the implementation of the make install target for your module(s) (not the output, since that can be suppressed/reconfigured by the Makefile). If this were a Portage-managed module, you could use Portage tools to inquire where the module was installed. Since you installed this module outside of Portage, it is your responsibility to know where it was written and to remove it when it is no longer needed.
PhiJ
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yes. The issue was that the new module was weird and different (gave me a bond0 instead of a wlan0, and bond0 didn't work), and after installing the new module, the old one didn't work either.

The underlying problem was the makefile used 'uname -r', I'd edited that but didn't realise that this makefile called another makefile, which also needed editing. I've not quite got the hang of makefiles yet.

After editing the second makefile just now, reinstalling and rebooting into the new kernel it didn't work, then I did a hard reboot, and then it was fine. Not sure why it didn't work the first time, I'll post back if I have any more problems, but it looks like I'm okay.

Thanks for the help.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: