Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
pjp wrote:
notageek wrote:
I'm considering a Toyota Tundra.

Either that or a VW Golf GTI.
lol @ the difference.

Toyota and VW are a bit too proud of their product for my budget. I might get a GTI if it were AWD at the same price.

Actually they're the most affordable cars you can buy new. Go over to TrueCar for a comparison.
I don't see where it compares to similarly configured competitors.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:
Maybe. But maybe it is, and damn political correctness has seeped too deep into our minds. It is Thanksgiving in Massachusetts, he said.
It is Thanksgiving in the entire US. I've never heard of Thanksgiving gifts.
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Old School wrote:
I ordered a Ford from the factory at the end of September and found out that it will be delivered the middle of December. I told my wife that it would be a Christmas gift, at which point she informed me in no uncertain terms that that was not her Christmas present.

So my question is: What do I get a woman that already has me? I mean, there is only so much one woman can have.
Here’s a Tour of an $80,000 Ford F-250 Platinum Pickup Truck
I'd love it in 4X4. Thanks, already saw it. I've subscribed to his channel for quite some time. I think he really screwed the Ford with his DougScore. It is really not that big. I drive a F-350 with an eight foot box almost daily around town, and the occasional trip into Eugene, and it is longer than that F-250. Granted, parking lots are not full crew cab long box friendly, but I am an exceptional driver. Not brag, just fact.

6.9 liter diesel with a four speed manual transmission.

It just keeps getting better
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
I've subscribed to his channel for quite some time. I think he really screwed the Ford with his DougScore.
I don't log in and don't subscribe, so I just periodically check the page for new material. I'm torn on the DougScore. Mostly it is OK, but I'm not sure it takes enough into consideration for the varied purposes of a vehicle. I get that something 30 years old isn't going to be "as good" as a brand new car that is introducing new technology no other vehicle has. And that creates its own problems when the scores for older vehicles need to be tweaked as new features are added to newer vehicles. But using the same scale to compare super duty trucks with exotic sports and luxury cars and everything in between seems to be missing something. Maybe it is the practicality store that is most at fault.

In this particular example, I do think being used to driving one makes a big difference. A number of years back after driving compact and mid-size vehicles, I drove a full-size truck (because I knew the area), and it was initially disturbing how big it felt. I adapted quickly enough to not feel anxious, but it would have taken longer to really be comfortable with it.

I wouldn't want to try driving one in any downtown even of modest size (and I don't mean just passing through on the streets). Context matters too. Most people seem willing to give delivery drivers in larger trucks some maneuvering room. But most people don't seem to do the same with passenger vehicles, including super duty pickups.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
notageek wrote:
pjp wrote:
notageek wrote:
I'm considering a Toyota Tundra.

Either that or a VW Golf GTI.
lol @ the difference.

Toyota and VW are a bit too proud of their product for my budget. I might get a GTI if it were AWD at the same price.

Actually they're the most affordable cars you can buy new. Go over to TrueCar for a comparison.
I don't see where it compares to similarly configured competitors.

Must have been Edmund's or I'm mistaken.

I vaguely recall playing around with it.

edit:

Here you go car compare
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

source wrote:
Not getting what you want for Christmas? Don't worry, this Hillary tree topper has an excuse for it!
It will blame:
Misogyny
Racism
Homophobia
Islamaphobia
James Comey
Russia
Bernie Sanders
Wikileaks
Deplorable elves
and so much more...

Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its already obsolete. Needs 3d Xpoint SSD.

Last edited by Bones McCracker on Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@notageek,

If you're still in the market, the 2018 Jeep Wrangler has many improvements. One of which is on-road handling.

I'm waiting for more detailed reviews that address how the on-road handling was improved. Early reviews are leaning toward satisfying new buyers who are looking more for on-road capability while not alienating the loyal fan base who "built" the brand.

- Windshield still folds down (and is now easier... ~5-6 minutes).
- Improved V6, will be available in turbo 4 (with more HP & torque than the 6) as well as a diesel.
- Improved approach, breakover and departure angles.
- Easier to remove roof panels, rear window panels and doors (30% lighter too).
- Easier to put down soft top convertible.
- Power full length "moon roof" soft top option.

Otherwise if you're not familiar with the previous model, the other changes are mostly minor cosmetic changes. The windshield does have a slightly increased angle. Vents near the front wheels are functional.
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
I ordered a Ford from the factory at the end of September and found out that it will be delivered the middle of December. I told my wife that it would be a Christmas gift, at which point she informed me in no uncertain terms that that was not her Christmas present.

We got our car last week. It is really sweet. Ford Edge Titanium, with all the bells and whistles.

It just keeps getting better
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. I've been hoping they'd do something with the design. It is a little to rounded for my tastes. It needs to have... more edge.

I'm curious to see if the new Bronco platform is used for anything else since I'm guessing it will be out of my reach.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I'm looking at Subaru WRX or Honda Interceptor.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WRX is better in the snow
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bible for the rest of us

Kindness Evokes Kindness

Peace Emits Positive Energy
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
Okay I'm looking at Subaru WRX
Look into head gasket failure. It's a thing. Some reports claim it was solved, but as of '07, it was not. Other claims attribute the problem to the design of the Boxer engine. My '07 Legay developed a leak around 90k miles. Eventually the engine needed to be replaced.

The reason I would buy another Subaru is because of how SoA handled both incidents.

SoA was excellent to work with. They of course didn't "accept blame," but they did more than they had to in my opinion. They referred to it as a "good faith gesture," which it was, and I'm perfectly OK with that legal tap dance. For the head gasket leak, they covered the actual leak, and I believe 50% of the other side which was not yet leaking. Years later I started having some issues. I don't recall the details. I took it to a mechanic who had said in his however many years, he had only seen a couple of Subaru engines need to be replaced. So I went to the dealer from whom I had bought the car. The dealer did an evaluation. Because the car was out of warranty, I then got in touch with SoA. After providing details, they looked for records and contacted the dealer for their evaluation. I think it took only a couple of weeks or so, but as a "good faith gesture," SoA covered much of the cost even though the car was out of warranty.

Subaru's AWD is amazing. At the time I bought my car, there were no equals (there's a video to train sales on how good it was -- it was never intended to be seen by the public, so it wasn't just propaganda). Otherwise I was very satisfied with the car overall. I feel like the interior quality is typical Japanese in that it seems a little cheap, but not too bad. Quite a few years ago there was a comparison between the WRX and a similarly priced BMW. The interior quality is what gave the BMW its edge. I test drove a used '14 Outback earlier this year and the interior quality seemed about the same as my '07.

Currently Subaru just doesn't make anything which interests me, otherwise I'd probably have another. The Forester has become a generic SUV and the Outback is more expensive than my interest in owning one (I rented one in the early 00s and liked it). And the BRZ is rear wheel drive. Also, their cars tend toward being under powered. The WRX (STi only?) being the exception (they even made a Forester based on the WRX STi).
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend who has been leasing a WRX had his "clutch" replaced and covered entirely by warranty. When I asked if it's the whole new clutch, he said yes. The car is only about an year old so I'm surprised this happened.

Other than that,WRX seems like a serious sports car and doesn't fare well in commuting environment.

And it's quite big.

Before anyone asks my friend is American, fresh out of college.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subaru doesn't have real all-wheel drive. They have half-assed symmetric "all-wheel drive", which is basically three-wheel drive where the last wheel is two wheels who work out the rest amongst themselves.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
Other than that,WRX seems like a serious sports car and doesn't fare well in commuting environment.

And it's quite big.
Big? Wow. I would not have considered it anywhere near big. As for real commuting, no manual transmission is suitable IMO. I prefer a manual, but would never have one as my only daily driver. I've never driven a WRX, so can't say whether it would be too stiff a suspension, but that's a preference issue.

It is too far off to matter, but there is supposedly going to be a new WRX in 2020, and it may not have the Boxer. AWD was the only thing considered "sacred."

This appears to be the AWD demo I mentioned. Seems like the D is a pretty important part of that acronym. You can also find similar videos with newer models, though the newer ones appear to be more like ads. So I guess I'd take their half-assed solution over a competitors "solution."
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly felt big, maybe because when I saw one in-person (my friend's car) I expected it to be a flimsy sports car. I drove one for a very short period on smooth road, it's very solid and loud.

I didn't like the interiors of the car. Too much going on.

I think Golf GTI certainly has better interiors and more class but in terms of "sports car creds" it falls short of the WRX. Unsurprisingly.

I understand the GTI is a better commuter even in manual.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible they've made it too big. That seems to be an automotive trend. In the past, it was a popular rally car, so I'm not sure how the production model relates to the sport, if at all. Size would seem to be a factor.

Off the top of my head, I think only the WRX and the Ford Focus RS are the only "competitors" in that segment. I don't think anyone else has tried. I think VW had a racing model, but I'm not sure what they're doing now.

The main reason I've considered the GTI is due to supposed better interior quality, but I haven't test driven one. Oh, and Clkarkson loves the Gofl (or maybe just the GTI).

Past research indicated VW (and Audi) havdn't been great for quality and reliability. I haven't checked in a while.

After that it is just subjective. AWD, styling and perceived greater sticker price. My recent searching has showed me they seem a bit more expensive, but if the quality is higher, then it should theoretically be "worth it."
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the one Clarkson likes is the full blown top of the line GTI, which is quite expensive. I'm looking at the base model, with manual. There are dealer discounts and special offers making it more enticing.
SiberianSniper
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cars in that style currently being made are the WRX STi, Focus RS, Golf R, and to a lesser extent the Civic Type R. Honestly, after having sat in an STi and RS, I'm far happier with my choice, the Mitsubishi Evo X (can't speak for the Golf or Civic, but I'm not really a hot hatch guy and the Civic looks like it was made for 12-year-olds). You'll have to find a used Evo since they haven't been made since 2015, but I find it to be a superior car for my needs. The best seats of the lot, fantastic handling, a sporty but mature exterior, and a no-nonsense interior. That is, of course, just my opinion, and the car is not without fault (weak transfer case, plastic clutch master cylinder, hydraulic pump on the bottom of the car, trunk barely big enough to hold my wife's luggage for an overnight trip, etc.) At 450 AWHP after mods, it's still comfortable enough for a daily driver, and the manual is fine for me, but I don't encounter very much stop and go traffic.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One solid disadvantage the Evo has is that it isn't priced competitively.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the 3000GT. My main issue with Mitsubishi is that they seem to not be able to address reliability issues and continue to sell fewer and fewer models. They seem like they'll be the next manufacturer to exit the US market. Huh. Apparently Nissan bought 34% of them last year.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@notageek,

Do you know if the base model includes adjustable lumbar support?
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
I think the one Clarkson PBUH likes is the full blown top of the line GTI, which is quite expensive. I'm looking at the base model, with manual. There are dealer discounts and special offers making it more enticing.

FTFY
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: