[solved] High CPU last in sddm-greeter
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
musv
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: [solved] High CPU last in sddm-greeter Reply with quote

Hi,

My system:

• Notebook: Clevo W230SS
  • Graphics card: Intel HD 4600, VendorID:ProductID: 8086:0416
  • X11-Driver: XF86-video-intel i965

I'm suffering this bug: https://github.com/sddm/sddm/issues/323. It was created in 2014. The last entry is from 2016. But the problem does still exist on my notebook.

They write about changing the qtquick backend to disable opengl for Intel-HD cards.

Does anybody know, if there's a setting so switch the qtquick backend in sddm? Didn't find anything. Or ist there another solution to cover this problem?

The problem is quite important. If nobody is logged in and the machine remains in the sddm-greeter, the cpu fan starts getting loud and the battery is running low.

Last edited by musv on Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

404 on that page...

I don't have much faith unless upstream fixes and it gets an ebuild. I had an issue with the lightdm GTK greeter where it had a problem leaking memory, and never got fixed until a version bump finally got rid of the bad version that was "stable" for the longest time...

The leak was slow... but usually after a few weeks of console idle, it'd eat so much memory that the machine would be thrashing badly as it eats swap. The swap saved me from machine death or maybe the OOM killer would have gotten it, then again I'm not sure if the OOM killer would weight slow growth with a heavier weight than fast malloc'ing programs...
Josef.95
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: High CPU last in sddm-greeter Reply with quote

The main problem is probably the xf86-video-intel driver (here is no release for years) and not working OpenGL.
Switching to the modesetting driver (it is included in >=xorg-server-1.19 and mesa) should probably better work.
The info from https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Intel should help.
musv
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'd played around with the modesetting driver. I switched back to the intel driver (xf86-video-intel), because Firefox didn't scroll smooth anymore.

Now I've tested again. In fact, with the modesetting driver sddm behaves ok.

To get Firefox usable, I had to enable:
Code:

about:config
layers.acceleration.force-enabled true
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: