Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One of these is having consolekit, which I would like to get rid of but couldn't up to now:

You can always get rid of any package on your system, just using emerge --unmerge consolekit, but assuming the other packages will just pull it back in based on your previously posted dependency graph you will have a difficult time updating those other pckages as well as some of them may start to behave funny and throw errors at you for the missing dependency.

What is your progress on the issue like overall? Have you tried other login managers, it would maybe be a worthwhile trial for the situation that was described earlier in the thread.
jssilva
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIsLinuxIsSogood wrote:
You can always get rid of any package on your system, just using emerge --unmerge consolekit

I'm afraid it wasn't that easy; unmerge kept telling me that it couldn't because xfce4-power-manager depended on it. Please read my previous post to know how the problem was solved.
Quote:
What is your progress on the issue like overall

Please read my previous post; I consider the matter closed once the system was stable for one week.
After so many trials to solve it, I'm not sure what did, but I have a hunch that the option "Inactive" for the radeon device in xorg.conf made the difference. See my post of the Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:56 am. As I say there, I also learned that I can't use the newer and avised driver "modesetting" for my intel gpu.
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, emerge --unmerge does not respect dependency information, so you can use it to remove packages even when they are required. If you get a different result, please show the output (and command used).
jssilva
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
As I understand it, emerge --unmerge does not respect dependency information, so you can use it to remove packages even when they are required. If you get a different result, please show the output (and command used).

I raised the matter here: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1072936-highlight-.html but, as you can see, only posted -pvc and you want to see the output of -avc which was, I could almost swear, a denial of the unmerge, but I might be wrong.

I looked through portage logs but couldn't find the event; perhaps you would like to tell me where to look in the logs because, after all I suffered, I certainly don't want to go back just for curiosity.
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerge -c is short for emerge --depclean, not emerge --unmerge. It is expected that emerge -c / emerge --depclean will refuse to uninstall packages that would break the dependency tree.
jssilva
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
emerge -c is short for emerge --depclean, not emerge --unmerge. It is expected that emerge -c / emerge --depclean will refuse to uninstall packages that would break the dependency tree.

Quite right, I'm sorry, my bad.

This is one of the disadvantages of using short nomenclature for options, which I do all the time.

Anyway, if I would go back and unmerge consolekit, I wonder what would be the reaction of xfce4-power-manager before being compiled with USE=systemd, as reported on my thread about it. In any case, it doesn't matter now that it is solved.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: