Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4gb is all I need. Lucky me. :o
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I can get by easily with 4GiB as well. 2GiB is getting tight, a couple of those have severe trouble building webkit-gtk, llvm, boost, etc., mostly because I'd be forced to build it single threaded since make screws up sometimes submits 8 jobs really fast, and if distcc won't pick them up, they all land on the 2GiB and thrash badly.
fturco
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1clue wrote:
"Main" meaning desktop, or biggest, or newest, or the one you have most contact with, or most critical to getting things done?

In my case my "main" computer is the one I use on a daily basis for many hours for all kind of work. I use my "other" computer only when my main computer is not working or is under heavy load. And in those very rare cases I go outside and a computer is needed.

Edit: Currently I can't build dev-qt/qtwebengine with debug symbols due to RAM limitations (I think). 8 GiB seems to be not enough. How much RAM do I need to have in order to do that? 16 GiB? Even more?
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using constraints of requiring the use of PORTAGE_TMPDIR=tmpfs or disallowing swap are not conditions for me...
However using all cores/threads on the machine effectively as possible is.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:
Correction, g is typical illiterate abbreviation for gigabyte. SI system has unique symbols for every unit, common sense is not to mix them up.

denoting correctly may be good, but you cannot let everyone think anyone is seeing it as "120garbage hdd, what does that mean?"

If you speak of common sense, 2g ram size mean 2gigabytes because such value in bit would have a dot (2.06 something near)

And you should know that metric system (which SI is base on), was invent FOR illiterates, french have cut heads and then create it so all their poor labourers can have an idea of an unit without need to have more than basic eduction.
That's why Celsius is 0 base, why one litre = one kilogram, why 3xkilogram is 3000 grams, why a kilometer is 1000 meters... keep it all simple, no computer or writing the equation down on a paper, you can do it with your brain.

Following this logic, SI should have just never use any prefix for bit, metric system is a base 10, it's simple because of that and any human can easy handle it, binary is base 2, and no prefix should be use for it in real.
And you can see it with yourself: how much bits in 3Gib? And can you answer how much bytes in 3GB?

metric system was made for everyone, SI was made as metric system, but the work was already made, and to justify the money they eat and to not appears like the wankers they are, they have add this kind of stupidity like if anyone could figure out how much bit are in 12Tib.
Yeah fuck the gib, long live the gb :)
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This laptop hard drive on my desk is 100g.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1clue wrote:
[My peeve is the misuse of homonyms.
Usually a spellchecker messing up.

I totally agree on G vs g. Small g means grams. GB vs GiB not so uptight. But before today I never saw a small g meaning Giga.
HungGarTiger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got 4GB DDR2 on a 10 year old server, not running much but it's a file server and mail + apache. Just for me to play around with.

My main laptop is 4 GB also but, it's a little dual core Atom and I just use it for learning to program.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 16, but I have space for another 16 and that has been "on my list" for some time.

A few years ago I had an old laptop with 60 MB of ram (No typo) and I got it running X with fluxbox. I could even watch DVDs. Unfortunately someone stole my car with the laptop in it.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krinn wrote:
Yeah fuck the gib, long live the gb :)
:twisted:

I look at it like this. If it doesn't matter, don't make it matter. Disk size, memory size, transmission rates, etc. are all pretty much a specific meaning. 8GB or 8GiB refers to the exact same stick of RAM. Granted with SSD, there are some "odd" sizes, but still, the difference is not relevant in general usage.

For the exercise, I'm thinking of writing a conversion tool, tentatively called nebytes.
Code:
Type       Get Back
MB         M(i)?B
MiB        M(i)?B
megabytes  m(ega|ibi)bytes
And so on.

Because most of the time it doesn't matter, I prefer the shortened form such as is used by df/du with -h: nG or nM.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The G and g difference is contextual. The B and b difference is an order of magnitude. The M and m difference is that it melts in your mouth, not in your hand.
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I got us so completely off topic, let me paste a line from the usage output of lvresize:

Code:
-L|--size LogicalVolumeSize[bBsSkKmMgGtTpPeE]}

A size suffix of M for megabytes, G for gigabytes, T for terabytes, P for petabytes or E for exabytes.
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:
I have 16, but I have space for another 16 and that has been "on my list" for some time.

A few years ago I had an old laptop with 60 MB of ram (No typo) and I got it running X with fluxbox. I could even watch DVDs. Unfortunately someone stole my car with the laptop in it.

If I remember correctly my first linux box with X installed was a pentium with (I think) 32m RAM. My first computer had 32k RAM.
nokilli
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
tmpfs /var/tmp/portage tmpfs uid=portage,gid=portage,defaults,size=14G,nr_inodes=500k,mode=700 0 0

If it's good enough for fstab, it's good enough for me.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My desktop has 6 gigs of DDR2. Probably should get a new one since this is becoming marginal for a lot of things I use it for, but I'm waiting for all the current x86 backdoor and defect scandals to die down first.

Netbook has 2 gigs, won't take any more than that. I'm not sure how long it'll continue to function as a netbook, with the way browsers are going...
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why I'm a stickler for writing correct units and multipliers?
0. People have crashed satellites by screwing up units. No excuses there: wrong assumptions due to missing or misleading/incorrect units. It's the (traditional, not computer) scientist/physicist in me that demands correct units no matter what they are.
1. My laptop hard drive on my table really does weigh about 100 grams and originally held 30G (now 0 since it's broken.)
2. Network speeds have always been ambiguous for 50Mb/sec and 50MB/sec, and it's a pity someone has to ask for clarification.
3. If people really used 32KB machines, they must remember using 4116 DRAMs which held 16384 bits a piece, eight of which are needed for 16KB. Mixing 16K bits and 16K bytes was hundreds of dollars back then.
4. I would be happy if people just spell the words out to remove all ambiguity.

I usually let the 1024 vs 1000 "i" multipliers slide (as I explicitly did above just to prove I don't care that much, they can *usually* be correctly inferred on context).

---

I also have a 2GB netbook. The processor (single core Atom) is what really makes the machine unusable, not the RAM in my opinion. The machine does not swap much, unless I screw up a emerge build. My 1GB machine does hit swap frequently however.
I'm also not sure when "x86 backdoors" will ever go away, as long as people want software to fix hardware problems, stuff like that will keep popping up. And as hardware is built like software, there will always be hardware bugs that show up here and there. Might as well just buy it when needed, another day in hell or another day of hell, pick your poison.
nokilli
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
2. Network speeds have always been ambiguous for 50Mb/sec and 50MB/sec, and it's a pity someone has to ask for clarification.

Point taken. This drives me nuts too but I point the finger at bad design here; to make a letter case hold this much meaning was always going to end badly. Here I would say Mbits and Mbytes is totally justified.
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nokilli wrote:
eccerr0r wrote:

Point taken. This drives me nuts too but I point the finger at bad design here; to make a letter case hold this much meaning was always going to end badly. Here I would say Mbits and Mbytes is totally justified.

The useable payload counts. not the overhead.

--

16GB main box, ivybridge i7 notebook cpu. supports max 32GB

4GB / 3GB penryn boxes sold, too less RAM for these days webbrowsing

--

manufacturer sells 16GB RAM kit, not 16GIB kit or whatever, it was since 286 base of 2 for ram, sound geeky or smart, to say, hey its base of 2, when it was for a very long time base of 2.
32kb box sounds like pre tandy / pre commodore boxes, these are not computers, these are pre computer stage. these do not even fit the screen data in the ram than. which clasifies them than as pre computer stage => old game boxes like tandy / commodore vic ...
computer in my point of view has to have at least VGA and some other specs.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nokilli wrote:
eccerr0r wrote:

I would say even there it's not need, everybody knows network use bits for its speed.
When you see hdd of 120g, ram of 2g and network of 1g you should have no need to figure out the first two are in bytes and last one in bits.

If you are not used to computer, it doesn't matter if someone say 120GiB, 120g or 120Gb or 120G, it mean nothing to you, and even someone going to check what this mean, it would find out GiB is for gigabits and GB for gigabytes, and do you expect him to get it then?
Or will he just then say "WTF are bits and bytes?"
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1clue wrote:
If I remember correctly my first linux box with X installed was a pentium with (I think) 32m RAM. My first computer had 32k RAM.

My first was a Micron with the blazingly fast 48DX-100 and an incredible 16Meg (corrected per Krinn below) of RAM running DOS and WfW. I later updated it to a k6-II and around that time started messing with Linux. First Caldera and then RedHat (4.x?, no later that 5.1).

EDIT: That was my first PC, not my first computer. That was an S-100 I built and programmed myself. My employer let me use the Intel development system (old blue box) because he thought it was good practice for me. In those days, employers didn't expect free company work after hours. I adapted Palo Alto Basic as the operating system (modified code from Dr. Dobbs), wrote my own Z-80 assembler (a school project) and wrote an in-ROM programming editor modeled after the Intel assembler (labels, but no macros). Don't remember how much RAM. It's in my basement somewhere.

Last edited by Tony0945 on Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krinn wrote:
nokilli wrote:
eccerr0r wrote:

I would say even there it's not need, everybody knows network use bits for its speed.
When you see hdd of 120g, ram of 2g and network of 1g you should have no need to figure out the first two are in bytes and last one in bits.

Except it's not. Whenever people download something they care about throughput and report network as how many actual bytes/second gets copied onto the hard drive, not necessarily the line speed (which also may vary due to downshifting to compensate for SNR, attenuation, etc.)

Network of 1g could also mean first generation cellular. I've always hated people who write 1G/2G/3G... for generation... GRR. I have to give it a pass due to the prevalence of this practice outside of computers, so I guess I deal with it.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
My first was a Micron with the blazingly fast 48DX-100 and an incredible 16k of RAM running DOS and WfW.

You mean 486DX-100 with 16MB of ram :)
I remember (not that well the version) but i think dos 3.1 that wasn't handling my hdd but would help me save a lot of my 256K memory to run a game (with floppy), while dos 3.2 was eating too much (but handle my hdd).
But it was with a 8088, i also own a 486DX-100, but by this time, memory were already using mega.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krinn wrote:
You mean 486DX-100 with 16MB of ram :)

Yes, indeed, corrected above. I think, however, that the S-100 was 8k or 16k RAM and 64kROM, but I have to find the box and open it to be sure.
Goverp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW my friend's first mainframe had 4K. Not sure how much disk, possibly none, as this was in the days of TOS.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
Network of 1g could also mean first generation cellular. I've always hated people who write 1G/2G/3G... for generation...

Well, it always depend on context, a network of 1g should mean it weight 1 gram :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: