View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bsquared938
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Gnome 3.16 - Huge Desktop Icons Reply with quote

Hey...

Went through with the procedure of updating to Gnome 3.16 about a week ago.... once it became stable...

However, as many users have noticed (on Gentoo and other Linux distros), the icons on the desktop (if these are enabled) and in Nautilus are HUGE ( :o ) now after the update, and there seems to be no way to reduce their size easily.

For the desktop, I have been individually reducing the size of icons manually (right click > resize icon > make it as small as possible).
And in Nautlius, I Ctrl+[zoom out with mouse] to reduce the icon size, but this only works for that instance of nautilus and once another nautlius window is open, it reverts back to the HUGE icons.

Has anyone tried to deal with these huge icons (i.e. return them to the pre-Gnome-3.16 size), or is there any way of reducing their size?

(am aware that this is a purely cosmetic issue, but wondering who has tried to + possibly succeeded figure/figuring this out...)

Last edited by bsquared938 on Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I noticed things got a bit geriatric. I got it as small as possible by the same way but it's not as small as it use to be.

The desktop items I resized the same way.

The trick for Nautilus was that you had to go with the "main" menu. When you select a Nautilus window, there's a "file" menu in the top bar that's related to Nautilus. Here you can select Preferences and then Views, and set your default zoom level to small. It's still not as small as I'd like but better than before.
bsquared938
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks for your reply eccerr0r...

Just wanted to clarify one thing:

eccerr0r wrote:
The trick for Nautilus was that you had to go with the "main" menu. When you select a Nautilus window, there's a "file" menu in the top bar that's related to Nautilus. Here you can select Preferences and then Views, and set your default zoom level to small. It's still not as small as I'd like but better than before.

Did not see this menu in nautilus.....tried right-clicking on the top bar and also the 3 vertical lines, and the 3x3 grid button.....don't see it anywhere....
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I meant top bar, it's not part of the window. Same bar as your networkmanager and clock are docked. There's a pulldown there.

Once you find it, it's a "AAAAHHHH THAT MENU" moment :) At least it was for me...
bsquared938
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woooow thanks a billion! Can't believe I didn't check that....*facepalm*

I know this was cosmetic but I figured since half the point of Linux is user control, I couldn't see how this wouldn't be an option somewhere....

Thanks again!! :D :D :D
ZappingLinux
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
Sorry, I meant top bar, it's not part of the window. Same bar as your networkmanager and clock are docked. There's a pulldown there.

Once you find it, it's a "AAAAHHHH THAT MENU" moment :) At least it was for me...

Little bit late to the party but in Gnome 3.24 it is not there. It is driving me insane. in fact I have the feeling that everything is zoomed in a LOT which I very much dislike and don't know how to fix.
bsquared938
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay first off thought that it was a mistake when I got an email notification that there was a reply to this thread :lol:

ZappingLinux wrote:

Little bit late to the party but in Gnome 3.24 it is not there. It is driving me insane. in fact I have the feeling that everything is zoomed in a LOT which I very much dislike and don't know how to fix.

Anyways, yes you are right, I also don't see the option in that menu anymore. I just ended up manually resizing the desktop icons on some new Gentoo installs I've done, and somehow it sticks for all new icons created...or I have to manually resize the new ones too :roll: , I can't remember how I did it....

If you figure it out, post here ;)
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsquared938 wrote:
(am aware that this is a purely cosmetic issue, but wondering who has tried to + possibly succeeded figure/figuring this out...)

I gotta say, I'm not sure how I missed this thread especially when it was created after I initially announced Gentoo Linux support for the GNOME Without Systemd project.

This is relevant because said project carries certain quality of life improvements (optional patches which aim to improve the GNOME experience and are mostly aesthetic and performant in nature) of which two relates (or rather related at one point) to icon sizes in Nautilus.

Specifically the patches added another icon zoom level and forced the use of the old icon grid and text width proportions of GNOME 3.14 and prior.

I only applied these patches to GNOME 3.16 and 3.18 since in GNOME 3.20 icon zoom levels in Nautilus were reworked to a point where it was somewhat acceptable. Due to that, I removed my those patches and backported the offical changes accordingly.

bsquared938 wrote:
Okay first off thought that it was a mistake when I got an email notification that there was a reply to this thread :lol:

I'm more surprised you replied after all this time. :o

ZappingLinux wrote:

bsquared938 wrote:
If you figure it out, post here ;)

1. Start Nautilus.
2. Click the icon with 3 horizontal lines (top right corner).
3. Press the minus (-) or plus (+) signs bordering the 100% text area (effective range is 50% to 133%).

Of course, the 4 zoom levels available in recent GNOME release versions are different from the 7 provided in GNOME 3.14 and prior.

ZappingLinux wrote:
It is driving me insane.

Since you are using GNOME Without Systemd, you can request quality of life improvements. Typically, if your request was made by multiple users, can benefit my workflow or is otherwise trivial it'll probably be added.
bsquared938
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:

3. Press the minus (-) or plus (+) signs bordering the 100% text area (effective range is 50% to 133%).

I think this only works in Nautilus itself ...how does this affect the desktop icons?
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsquared938 wrote:
dantrell wrote:

I think this only works in Nautilus itself ...how does this affect the desktop icons?

Nautilus also provides the desktop icons and the zoom levels are linked.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: