Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Elan SC520 (i486-pc-linux-gnu) does wifi update...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Elan SC520 (i486-pc-linux-gnu) does wifi update... Reply with quote

For the heck of it,

Code:
elan /tmp # time emerge -1 --nodeps =wpa_supplicant-2.6-r3 =hostapd-2.6-r1

Want to see how long it takes to finish this; it had wpa_supplicant-2.6-r2 and hostapd-2.6 installed so hopefully the deps should not have changed.

The Élan™ SC520 is an old AMD 486DX4-133 SOC. This particular machine has 64MB RAM and is a router (it's a single board computer). I have a "complete" Gentoo install on it, portage and all.

Curious if this machine can do it so I don't have to transfer to another machine to update the wireless code :) Need to make sure that MAKEOPTS is removed so it doesn't try compile more than one at a time...

----

Took 2 hours 38 minutes to build those two packages.
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problems I could see with a machine like that would be iptables running out of memory, and loss of packets due to the slow CPU. It might be fine for a client or two, but I wouldn't expect to be able to run squid or snort on such a device.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it was always a router from its inception, just that I don't have the original software anymore and need to run Linux.
It indeed is slow, but my ISP is slow too, so it works out.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunder wrote:
The only problems I could see with a machine like that would be iptables running out of memory, and loss of packets due to the slow CPU.

My ISP-supplied router is even worse with 16MB, but it doesn't OOM like that unless I run broken software behind it (i.e. net-p2p/go-ipfs-bin). 64MB is plenty for a single-purpose box like that... I wouldn't want to run portage on one though.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of "broken software" - yeah I've noticed that p2p applications tend to break some of my routers.

The first router I ever got from my ISP was a Cisco (yes, that Cisco) 675. I swear I can crash it readily by trying to p2p through it (regular bittorrent on a busy tracker is sufficient to crash it), completely DoS-ing myself. As the firmware had other issues I feel it was just bad design, though I should expect more from Cisco. As it was proprietary I have no idea what the specs were, and I think the router is now long gone.

I have some other ISP-supplied router from Actiontec that takes a while longer (16MB), but also succumbs to P2P applications. However, the newest offerings from Actiontec seem to be able to handle the P2P connections just fine now, though they generally have more memory at this point though the firmware has gotten bigger. I'll need to see how much memory is truly needed to keep those p2p applications running, or is it just some other kernel bug triggered by an outside attacker causing it to crash.

While running a full Gentoo on this little memory may be questionable (I set up ZSWAP...), at least I know when packages are getting updated as I'll see them show up on my other, regular boxes.
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
Speaking of "broken software" - yeah I've noticed that p2p applications tend to break some of my routers.

Maintaining the iptables conntrack table takes up a fair bit of memory, and with p2p using a lot of connections, it just wrecks low memory routers.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: