Plasma 5.11.1 System Useability Problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tefrem34
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Plasma 5.11.1 System Useability Problems Reply with quote

Hello,

First of, I would like to thank all the kind people on the forums for their help and patience.

Well Plasma has been having some inconsistencies the last couple updates. There are a few things that have been affecting my setup and would like to see if there is some way that I can fix them.

I have lost the ability to right click on the desktop to bring up the desktop/wallpaper settings from the previous Plasma version update. I found a link on this subject and would like to know more of what it being done and would it be safe, or applicable, for me to fallow these instructions. https://superuser.com/questions/946206/kde-plasma-5-no-taskbar-and-cant-right-click-desktop#946207 I do not want to mess my system up more than it already is. :)
But in addition to that issue, I have found that in the system settings, application styles, Gnome application styles, that any changes that I make, and apply, to the themes, fonts, and icons, revert to what they where before after leaving the widget style of gnome/gtk applications menu. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

There is also a patch that was made for Dolphin and Kate to be able to be open as root. I tried to use these patches but building dolphin and kate with the patches failed to build. I had to remove the patches so it wouldn't affect further updates. I would like to know if others have ran into this issue as well.

Thanks again.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphin and kate are not part of Plasma, and you will find an existing thread for that if you spend a minimum amount of time in this subforum, so let's leave it at that.

What version of Qt5 do you have installed?
Code:
$ equery l -i dev-qt/*

Tefrem34 wrote:
I found a link on this subject and would like to know more of what it being done and would it be safe, or applicable, for me to fallow these instructions. https://superuser.com/questions/946206/kde-plasma-5-no-taskbar-and-cant-right-click-desktop#946207 I do not want to mess my system up more than it already is. :)

If you just remove config files from your ~ directory those files will be recreated with defaults. No harm done as long as you do not care about your existing config.
Tefrem34
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply aturm.

Quote:
dolphin and kate are not part of Plasma, and you will find an existing thread for that if you spend a minimum amount of time in this subforum, so let's leave it at that.
I will ask that question on that thread then.

Code:
$ equery l -i dev-qt/*

Code:
[IP-] [  ] dev-qt/designer-4.8.7:4
[IP-] [  ] dev-qt/designer-5.9.2:5/5.9
[IP-] [  ] dev-qt/linguist-tools-5.9.2:5/5.9
[IP-] [  ] dev-qt/qdbus-5.9.2:5/5.9
[IP-] [  ] dev-qt/qt3support-4.8.7:4
[IP-] [  ] dev-qt/qtbluetooth-5.9.2:5/5.9
[IP-] [  ] dev-qt/qtchooser-0_p20170803:0
[IP-] [  ] dev-qt/qtconcurrent-5.9.2:5/5.9
[IP-] [  ] dev-qt/qtcore-4.8.7-r2:4
[IP-] [  ] dev-qt/qtcore-5.9.2:5/5.9
[IP-] [  ] dev-qt/qtdbus-4.8.7:4
[IP-] [  ] dev-qt/qtdbus-5.9.2:5/5.9
[IP-] [  ] dev-qt/qtdeclarative-4.8.7:4
[IP-] [  ] dev-qt/qtdeclarative-5.9.2:5/5.9
[IP-] [  ] dev-qt/qtgraphicaleffects-5.9.2:5/5.9
[IP-] [  ] dev-qt/qtgui-4.8.7:4
[IP-] [  ] dev-qt/qtgui-5.9.2:5/5.9
[IP-] [  ] dev-qt/qthelp-5.9.2:5/5.9
[IP-] [  ] dev-qt/qtimageformats-5.9.2:5/5.9
[IP-] [  ] dev-qt/qtmultimedia-5.9.2:5/5.9
[IP-] [  ] dev-qt/qtnetwork-5.9.2:5/5.9
[IP-] [  ] dev-qt/qtopengl-4.8.7:4
[IP-] [  ] dev-qt/qtopengl-5.9.2:5/5.9
[IP-] [  ] dev-qt/qtpaths-5.9.2:5/5.9                                                                                                       
[IP-] [  ] dev-qt/qtprintsupport-5.9.2:5/5.9                                                                                                 
[IP-] [  ] dev-qt/qtquickcontrols-5.9.2:5/5.9                                                                                               
[IP-] [  ] dev-qt/qtquickcontrols2-5.9.2:5/5.9                                                                                               
[IP-] [  ] dev-qt/qtscript-4.8.7:4                                                                                                           
[IP-] [  ] dev-qt/qtscript-5.9.2:5/5.9                                                                                                       
[IP-] [  ] dev-qt/qtsql-4.8.7-r1:4                                                                                                           
[IP-] [  ] dev-qt/qtsql-5.9.2:5/5.9                                                                                                         
[IP-] [  ] dev-qt/qtsvg-4.8.7:4                                                                                                             
[IP-] [  ] dev-qt/qtsvg-5.9.2:5/5.9                                                                                                         
[IP-] [  ] dev-qt/qttest-4.8.7:4                                                                                                             
[IP-] [  ] dev-qt/qttest-5.9.2:5/5.9                                                                                                         
[IP-] [  ] dev-qt/qttranslations-4.8.7:4                                                                                                     
[IP-] [  ] dev-qt/qtvirtualkeyboard-5.9.2:5/5.9                                                                                             
[IP-] [  ] dev-qt/qtwayland-5.9.2:5/5.9                                                                                                     
[IP-] [  ] dev-qt/qtwebchannel-5.9.2:5/5.9                                                                                                   
[IP-] [  ] dev-qt/qtwebengine-5.9.2:5/5.9                                                                                                   
[IP-] [  ] dev-qt/qtwebkit-5.9.1:5/5.9                                                                                                       
[IP-] [  ] dev-qt/qtwidgets-5.9.2:5/5.9                                                                                                     
[IP-] [  ] dev-qt/qtx11extras-5.9.2:5/5.9                                                                                                   
[IP-] [  ] dev-qt/qtxml-5.9.2:5/5.9                                                                                                         
[IP-] [  ] dev-qt/qtxmlpatterns-4.8.7:4                                                                                                     
[IP-] [  ] dev-qt/qtxmlpatterns-5.9.2:5/5.9

Quote:
If you just remove config files from your ~ directory those files will be recreated with defaults. No harm done as long as you do not care about your existing config.

So this wouldn't help with my missing my right click menu then, only reset my customization?
Thanks again.
Tefrem34
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure what else to post that would help to figure this out. If anyone has tips on where I could search for a solution I would greatly appreciate it.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you remove some plasma config files already?

Please try to rebuild qtdeclarative:5 (remember to use -1 so it is not recorded in your world file). Not more than a suspicion...
Tefrem34
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the reply back.

I reinstalled
Code:
emerge -av -1 qtdeclarative
Code:
eix qtdeclarative
[I] dev-qt/qtdeclarative
     Available versions: 
     (4)    4.8.6-r1 4.8.7
     (5)    5.6.2(5/5.6)^t 5.7.1(5/5.7)^t (~)5.7.1-r1(5/5.7)^t (~)5.9.2(5/5.9)^t
       {+accessibility aqua debug +exceptions gles2 +jit localstorage pch qt3support test webkit +widgets xml ABI_MIPS="n32 n64 o32" ABI_PPC="32 64" ABI_S390="32 64" ABI_X86="32 64 x32"}
     Installed versions:  4.8.7(4)(10:33:00 PM 01/16/2017)(accessibility exceptions qt3support -aqua -debug -pch -webkit ABI_MIPS="-n32 -n64 -o32" ABI_PPC="-32 -64" ABI_S390="-32 -64" ABI_X86="32 64 -x32") 5.9.2(5)^t(02:29:22 PM 10/25/2017)(jit widgets xml -debug -gles2 -localstorage -test)
and I also
Code:
mv plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc
to another dir, which did not regenerate another plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc in the ~/.config folder. The command that they gave,
Code:
kbuildsycoca5 && kquitapp plasmashell && kstart plasmashell
which I guess tells plasma to regenerate another config, gives me an error with the kquitapp command. I tried "kill" in place of it but that didn't work either. So I restarted my system and nothing has changed with the desktop configuration and gtk settings resetting after changing it.
Am I missing the dependency to refresh plasmashell or does Gentoo use another command for that?

Thanks

Last edited by Tefrem34 on Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tefrem34 wrote:
The command that they gave,
Code:
kbuildsycoca5 && kquitapp plasmashell && kstart plasmashell

Both commands do not exist anymore. Just like kbuildsycoca5 (which is unrelated to your trouble), these are now kquitapp5 and kstart5.

Please don't miss the update to Plasma 5.11.2 that arrived yesterday, for the chance that it fixes some of your problems.
Tefrem34
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay thanks.
Code:
$ kquitapp5 plasmashell && kstart5 plasmashell
qt5ct: using qt5ct plugin
Omitting both --window and --windowclass arguments is not recommended
Then it output this
Code:
No metadata file in the package, expected it at: "/media/Storage/Art/Art/Photo References/Manga-Cartoon/"
No metadata file in the package, expected it at: "/media/Storage/Art/Art/Photo References/Manga-Cartoon/"
trying to show an empty dialog
file:///usr/share/plasma/shells/org.kde.plasma.desktop/contents/views/Desktop.qml:147:19: QML Loader: Binding loop detected for property "height"
file:///usr/share/plasma/shells/org.kde.plasma.desktop/contents/views/Desktop.qml:147:19: QML Loader: Binding loop detected for property "height"
Trying to use rootObject before initialization is completed, whilst using setInitializationDelayed. Forcing completion
[KASTATSFAVS]  0x22dd2b0 0x0 "no client ID yet"   initForClient "org.kde.plasma.kicker.favorites.instance-130"
[KASTATSFAVS]  0x22dd2b0 0x2f74cb0 "org.kde.plasma.kicker.favorites.instance-130"   Loading the ordering  ("preferred://browser", "systemsettings.desktop", "org.kde.dolphin.desktop", "org.kde.kate.desktop", "preferred://browser", "systemsettings.desktop", "org.kde.dolphin.desktop", "org.kde.kate.desktop")
[KASTATSFAVS]  0x22dd2b0 0x2f74cb0 "org.kde.plasma.kicker.favorites.instance-130"   Query is Query { Select: LinkedResources, Type: (":any"), Agent: ("org.kde.plasma.favorites.applications", "org.kde.plasma.favorites.contacts", "org.kde.plasma.favorites.documents"), Activity: (":current", ":global"), Url: ("*"), Order: HighScore, Limit: 0 }
KActivities: Database connection:  "kactivities_db_resources_139641251809152_readonly"
    query_only:          QVariant(qlonglong, 1)
    journal_mode:        QVariant(QString, "wal")
    wal_autocheckpoint:  QVariant(qlonglong, 100)
    synchronous:         QVariant(qlonglong, 0)
[KASTATSFAVS]  0x22dd2b0 0x2f74cb0 "org.kde.plasma.kicker.favorites.instance-130"   Got  "applications:org.kde.dolphin.desktop"  -->
[KASTATSFAVS]  0x22dd2b0 0x2f74cb0 "org.kde.plasma.kicker.favorites.instance-130"   Adding result "applications:org.kde.dolphin.desktop" already present? false
Original id is:  "applications:org.kde.dolphin.desktop" , and the url is QUrl("file:///usr/share/applications/org.kde.dolphin.desktop")
[KASTATSFAVS]  0x22dd2b0 0x2f74cb0 "org.kde.plasma.kicker.favorites.instance-130"   Got  "applications:org.kde.kate.desktop"  -->
[KASTATSFAVS]  0x22dd2b0 0x2f74cb0 "org.kde.plasma.kicker.favorites.instance-130"   Adding result "applications:org.kde.kate.desktop" already present? false
Original id is:  "applications:org.kde.kate.desktop" , and the url is QUrl("file:///usr/share/applications/org.kde.kate.desktop")
[KASTATSFAVS]  0x22dd2b0 0x2f74cb0 "org.kde.plasma.kicker.favorites.instance-130"   Got  "applications:systemsettings.desktop"  -->
[KASTATSFAVS]  0x22dd2b0 0x2f74cb0 "org.kde.plasma.kicker.favorites.instance-130"   Adding result "applications:systemsettings.desktop" already present? false
Original id is:  "applications:systemsettings.desktop" , and the url is QUrl("file:///usr/share/applications/systemsettings.desktop")
[KASTATSFAVS]  0x22dd2b0 0x2f74cb0 "org.kde.plasma.kicker.favorites.instance-130"   Got  "preferred://browser"  -->
[KASTATSFAVS]  0x22dd2b0 0x2f74cb0 "org.kde.plasma.kicker.favorites.instance-130"   Adding result "preferred://browser" already present? false
Original id is:  "preferred://browser" , and the url is QUrl("file:///home/rbear/.local/share/applications/google-chrome-beta.desktop")
Original id is:  "preferred://browser" , and the url is QUrl("file:///home/rbear/.local/share/applications/google-chrome-beta.desktop")
Original id is:  "systemsettings.desktop" , and the url is QUrl("file:///usr/share/applications/systemsettings.desktop")
Original id is:  "org.kde.dolphin.desktop" , and the url is QUrl("file:///usr/share/applications/org.kde.dolphin.desktop")
Original id is:  "org.kde.kate.desktop" , and the url is QUrl("file:///usr/share/applications/org.kde.kate.desktop")
Original id is:  "systemsettings.desktop" , and the url is QUrl("file:///usr/share/applications/systemsettings.desktop")
Original id is:  "org.kde.dolphin.desktop" , and the url is QUrl("file:///usr/share/applications/org.kde.dolphin.desktop")
Original id is:  "org.kde.kate.desktop" , and the url is QUrl("file:///usr/share/applications/org.kde.kate.desktop")
[KASTATSFAVS]  0x22dd2b0 0x2f74cb0 "org.kde.plasma.kicker.favorites.instance-130"   After ordering:  QVector("preferred://browser", "applications:systemsettings.desktop", "applications:org.kde.dolphin.desktop", "applications:org.kde.kate.desktop")
Closing SQL connection:  "kactivities_db_resources_139641251809152_readonly"
file:///home/rbear/.local/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.eventcalendar/contents/ui/main.qml:196: TypeError: Cannot read property 'DesktopContainment' of undefined
file:///usr/lib64/qt5/qml/QtQuick/Controls/ScrollView.qml:362: TypeError: Cannot read property 'padding' of null
file:///usr/lib64/qt5/qml/QtQuick/Controls/ScrollView.qml:363: TypeError: Cannot read property 'padding' of null
file:///usr/lib64/qt5/qml/QtQuick/Controls/ScrollView.qml:364: TypeError: Cannot read property 'padding' of null
file:///usr/lib64/qt5/qml/QtQuick/Controls/ScrollView.qml:365: TypeError: Cannot read property 'padding' of null
file:///usr/lib64/qt5/qml/QtQuick/Controls/ScrollView.qml:362: TypeError: Cannot read property 'padding' of null
file:///usr/lib64/qt5/qml/QtQuick/Controls/ScrollView.qml:363: TypeError: Cannot read property 'padding' of null
file:///usr/lib64/qt5/qml/QtQuick/Controls/ScrollView.qml:364: TypeError: Cannot read property 'padding' of null
file:///usr/lib64/qt5/qml/QtQuick/Controls/ScrollView.qml:365: TypeError: Cannot read property 'padding' of null
file:///usr/lib64/qt5/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Button.qml:99: TypeError: Cannot read property 'width' of null
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.kicker/contents/ui/DashboardRepresentation.qml:351:17: QML Heading: Binding loop detected for property "height"
trying to show an empty dialog
file:///usr/lib64/qt5/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Button.qml:99: TypeError: Cannot read property 'width' of null
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.clipboard/contents/ui/clipboard.qml:32: TypeError: Cannot read property 'empty' of undefined
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.clipboard/contents/ui/clipboard.qml:34: TypeError: Cannot read property 'empty' of undefined
error activating kdeconnectd: QDBusError("", "")
Trying to use rootObject before initialization is completed, whilst using setInitializationDelayed. Forcing completion
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.notifications/contents/ui/Notifications.qml:189: TypeError: Cannot read property 'IdleTime' of undefined
libkcups: Create-Printer-Subscriptions last error: 0 successful-ok
libkcups: Get-Jobs last error: 0 successful-ok
libkcups: Get-Jobs last error: 0 successful-ok
Plasma Shell startup completed
libkcups: 0
libkcups: 0
Both point size and pixel size set. Using pixel size.
Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)

But the
Code:
plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc
has not been generated in the ~/.config agian.

I am doing the update right know for plasma. Hope that fixes the problem.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tefrem34 wrote:

Don't use qt5ct, it can break Plasma afaik.

An easy method to check if any aspect of your user's config is the culprit would be to create a test user.
Tefrem34
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I should not have qt5ct installed then? I will remove it.

I will create a new user and see.
Tefrem34
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, sadly the update did not fix the issues.

I uninstalled qt5ct.

I created another user account and only get a black screen with a cursor that changes from the adwata cursor to the breeze; depending on its position on the screen. I have to alt+crtl+f4 to reboot to get back to my reg user desktop.

My fonts are all over the place with the gtk applications, mostly in chrome because the gtk settings revert back to what I had changed it from.

And I still can not right click the desktop to access its settings. Oh, and another thing that no longer works, is scrolling with the mouse wheel to switch to my other virtual desktops. I forgot to add that to the list of things that where not working on the desktop.

I do not know if it is still needed, but I have a "stop-kwin-crash" in my window rules. Is this still required, or did they fix this bug?
Tefrem34
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the update to plasma 5.11.2 fixed some things though.
I was able to install PyQt 5.9 with out breaking the login. I guess the update also now allows the kate and dolphin allow-root.patches to build and work now. So this is great! :D

The desktop settings and functions not working is driving me nuts though. lol :?

I keep wondering if there is a config file that I messed up when I did an etc-update. I keep going over what I have installed and checking the versions, it should work, but I can not figure out what is causing it. Especially, since I can login and starx as root and it works just fine.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tefrem34 wrote:
I was able to install PyQt 5.9 with out breaking the login. I guess the update also now allows the kate and dolphin allow-root.patches to build and work now.

Hm, those are all things unrelated to Plasma-5.11.2 and PyQt for sure does not mess with any login...

Tefrem34 wrote:
The desktop settings and functions not working is driving me nuts though. lol :?
[...]Especially, since I can login and starx as root and it works just fine.

Is your user in the video group?
Tefrem34
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hm, those are all things unrelated to Plasma-5.11.2 and PyQt for sure does not mess with any login

Yes, but I was pointing out what else the update had fixed that I had mentioned prior.

My regular user is in the video group. As well as the new group I just made.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just pointing out there are strange things going on here. ;)

The fact that you can startx as root fine makes it clear there is some permissions problem involved here.

Please make sure you followed https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/KDE (including any links it points to do as prerequisites) to the point.
Tefrem34
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you, it is very strange. This is not a new setup. I had no problems what so ever until the last couple updates to Plasma5 ago. My system has been solid since I installed it, well until now.

Okay, so I tried
Code:
$ kbuildsycoca5 --noincremental
and got this message.
Code:
kbuildsycoca5 running...
kf5.kservice.sycoca: Parse error in  "/home/rbear/.config/menus/applications-merged/xdg-desktop-menu-dummy.menu" , line  1 , col  1 :  "unexpected end of file"

Is there any relevance to this?
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should not. Does that happen on your new user?
Tefrem34
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the short error of
Quote:
could not determine $DISPLAY
Tefrem34
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking through some files and didn't know if this one should have this in it.
Code:
/etc/env.d/90xsession

Code:
XSESSION="KDE-4"

I am using plasma 5. Shouldn't this reflect that, or is it unrelated?

thanks
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: