HDMI connection to AV-Receiver not properly detected
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abusse
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: HDMI connection to AV-Receiver not properly detected Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I have an Intel Skylake NUC connected via HDMI to an AV-Receiver. However, the video output only works if the AV-Receiver is turned on and its input selection is set to the NUC during boot. Otherwise, I do not get any video when I switch the AV-Receiver to the NUC. The kernel seems to detect the connection, however, xrandr for example doesn't see a display:
Code:

localhost ~ # cat /sys/class/drm/card0-HDMI-A-1/status
connected
localhost ~ # xrandr
Can't open display

I also tried to disable the other outputs and only enable the one HDMI port but with no effect:
Code:

video=HDMI-A-1:e video=HDMI-A-2:d video=DP-1:d

Maybe someone has an idea what I can try next. I run a 4.12.12 gentoo kernel, in case that matters.
nokilli
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I solve this problem by always being sure to turn on my AV-Receiver before powering up the computer. However in my case I don't need to have the AVR set to any specific input selection.

I believe the problem is that there are no standards with respect to how all of this works within the AVR, and with so many potential combinations of display and AVR, the kernel can't possibly know what to do. Search engines are mostly useless since the keywords get soaked up by more mundane issues.

Indeed, in my case it wasn't until when the 4.0.x kernels started rolling out that I was able to do multichannel. Try as I might, it would just never work.

Other than that, I would iterate through your AVR settings. Passthrough is an obvious button to play with. Also consider your display settings; they can conceivably cause state changes within the AVR that might make it more amenable to xrandr/etc.

Best of luck. Here there be dragons.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: