Advanced Installation
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
archp2017
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Advanced Installation Reply with quote

Hello,

I have been collecting various Linux distros and various Windows versions over the past 6 or 7 years. With Linux ,I have become accustomed to the installation format such as used in Ubuntu and other Grub2 distros which have a parititioning option they call, "something else." My PC does not allow EFI but is legacy BIOS. I just burned a thumb drive with the latest AMD64 Live DVD KDE desktop and have booted it a few times just to look at the screens to see if I know where I am going. Unfortunately, as beautiful as these screens are, I am still at a complete loss as to how to do what I want to do. I want to install Gentoo on the last available 15gb partition on my third hard drive sdc/22 and I want to write the MBR to sda/ My first two drives are Windows installations. The third is all Linux. How do I get to the installation button/command and then to the advanced partitioning menu so that I can install Gentoo to the partition I have set up. Thank you very much in advance for your kind assistance
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, archp2017

Gentoo is DIY Linux, you put it together from bits and pieces the way you want. Please read The Handbook. There is no installer but you.
djentoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Advanced Installation Reply with quote

archp2017 wrote:
Hello,

I have been collecting various Linux distros and various Windows versions over the past 6 or 7 years. With Linux ,I have become accustomed to the installation format such as used in Ubuntu and other Grub2 distros which have a parititioning option they call, "something else." My PC does not allow EFI but is legacy BIOS. I just burned a thumb drive with the latest AMD64 Live DVD KDE desktop and have booted it a few times just to look at the screens to see if I know where I am going. Unfortunately, as beautiful as these screens are, I am still at a complete loss as to how to do what I want to do. I want to install Gentoo on the last available 15gb partition on my third hard drive sdc/22 and I want to write the MBR to sda/ My first two drives are Windows installations. The third is all Linux. How do I get to the installation button/command and then to the advanced partitioning menu so that I can install Gentoo to the partition I have set up. Thank you very much in advance for your kind assistance

You need to locate the installation manual online. The way that you partition drives with the Gentoo CD is to use the parted program. This is a command line tool, as are all the tools on the CD. Be prepared to learn a lot about the command prompt interface.

The manual does not include much details about dual booting with Windows on a BIOS system. You will basically need to create a boot partition, swap, and a root system on your Linux partition. You will install Grub on that partition (NOT the MBR!) and use the EasyBCD tool on your Windows OS to configure Grub for chainloading Gentoo at the end. The reason for this is so that your Windows partitions and MBR are protected from any errors that may occur with Linux or grub.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

archp2017,

Welcome to Gentoo.

You can install from the binaries on the DVD but one word of advice. Don't.
The DVD is about 18 months old an such an old install will be difficult to update. Also you will get likewhoas Gentoo not yours.

15Gb will be a bit of a tight squeeze for Gentoo as you need build space while compiles are in progress.
You also need to store the source tarballs. Binary distros have neither of those requiremonts.

Go for 40G so you have elbow room. It need not all be in one place.
Build space can be in RAM too as its only used during building your packages.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
archp2017
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies. I understand what you are saying. I have decided to put Gentoo on the back burner for now.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: